Pitino Relieved of Duties

Proves hiring a coach is a crap shoot. Miller just finished 4 straight NCAA bids and a run to the elite 8 at Dayton.
Goes to show that this shit isn't as easy as we think it is.

Indiana is a pressure cooker. The fans think they're helping by being so impatient and fanatical, but it doesn't make it very easy for anyone. To me, this is the part about the big-conference jobs that's the toughest.

Goes to show that this shit isn't as easy as we think it is.

Indiana is a pressure cooker. The fans think they're helping by being so impatient and fanatical, but it doesn't make it very easy for anyone. To me, this is the part about the big-conference jobs that's the toughest.
Is there anyone that really think coaching at a Big Ten University is easy?

But your point about Indiana is 100% true. They are a basketball school so their expectations are super high and if a coach falls short at all the fans all want them gone.

Interesting choice of words—relieved of duties. Not fired. Part of the soft land?

There are a number of coaches who can be quite successful in a mid-major conference, but I think there are only a select few who can make that transition well to a P6 conference. Conversely, this is the same reason I think we could see Pitino do well in a lower conference. Big Ten coaches are kinda creme de la creme in the upper half.

Just off the top of my head, let's see where some of the best ones were hired from:

Izzo - longtime asst at the program
Painter - longtime asst at the program
Gard - longtime asst at the program
Holtmann - came from Butler (mid-major at that time)
McCaffrey - came from Siena (mid-major)
Underwood - came from Ok State (P6)
Turgeon - came from Wichita State (mid-major)
Howard - NBA asst, school alumni
Hoiberg - previous P6 and NBA coach

There are a number of coaches who can be quite successful in a mid-major conference, but I think there are only a select few who can make that transition well to a P6 conference. Conversely, this is the same reason I think we could see Pitino do well in a lower conference. Big Ten coaches are kinda creme de la creme in the upper half.

Just off the top of my head, let's see where some of the best ones were hired from:

I believe if you check, Matt Painter was an assistant at Purdue for only the 04-05 season before taking over from Gene Keady. He was an assistant at several other places prior and assumed the head coaching position at Southern Illinois for one season prior to going to Purdue...

I believe if you check he was an assistant at Purdue fir only the 04-05 season before taking over from Gene Keady. He was an assistant at several other places prior and assumed the head coaching position at Southern Illinois for one season prior to going to Purdue...

Ah you're right. Thanks for pointing that out

Izzo only got hired because he combed Lou's hair.

Turgeon came from Texas A&M
Underwood was at OkSt 1yr Before moving to Illinois Prior he was at STEPHEN Austin

Turgeon came from Texas A&M
Underwood was at OkSt 1yr Before moving to Illinois Prior he was at STEPHEN Austin

Well, I said it was off the top of my head. Thanks for the update.

So, of the currently employed coaches, basically only Holtmann and McCaffrey have made the transition directly from HC at a mid or low-major to a Big Ten HC. We also know that two who made the same transition were let go today

Well, I said it was off the top of my head. Thanks for the update.

So, of the currently employed coaches, basically only Holtmann and McCaffrey have made the transition directly from HC at a mid or low-major to a Big Ten HC. We also know that two who made the same transition were let go today
Pitino wasn’t even low-major. He was at Florida International of all places With only mild success in year 1 18-16. Hired on recommendation from Billy Donovan and name only.

I want to see him board the helicopter and turn around and give one last big wave.

We have been saying the same thing as the tweet for a couple years...."expected to be relieved of his duties"
We need the word from Mr Coyle.

Pitino wasn’t even low-major. He was at Florida International of all places With only mild success in year 1 18-16. Hired on recommendation from Billy Donovan and name only.
He improved their win total by 10 wins over the previous season and lost the conference tournament championship game by 3 points. I think he also recruited more than half of his roster in the months prior to starting his first season. 18 wins was the most wins in a season there since 1997-98, and the coach who succeeded him peaked at 16 wins in the 5 seasons he was there.

We have been saying the same thing as the tweet for a couple years...."expected to be relieved of his duties"
We need the word from Mr Coyle.
I'm surprised at how many people picked up on Goodman's tweet and reported that Pitino has now been fired. I don't know if it's poor reading comprehension or if seeing/hearing it from a member of the national media carries different weight.

I believe if you check, Matt Painter was an assistant at Purdue for only the 04-05 season before taking over from Gene Keady. He was an assistant at several other places prior and assumed the head coaching position at Southern Illinois for one season prior to going to Purdue...
Painter was hired from SIU to be Purdue’s HC in waiting while Gene Keady coached his last year.

Last edited:

He improved their win total by 10 wins over the previous season and lost the conference tournament championship game by 3 points. I think he also recruited more than half of his roster in the months prior to starting his first season. 18 wins was the most wins in a season there since 1997-98, and the coach who succeeded him peaked at 16 wins in the 5 seasons he was there.
And he parlayed that incredible success at FIU to a 55-97 B10 record at Minnesota

That sounds like a heck of resume. Let sign him up!

His Big Ten record was certainly very relevant information in 2013 when he was hired.
It didn't take a genius to see that he had no clue how to run a major program and was learning on the job.

Last edited:

Seeing comments online from people asserting that a successful mid-major coach should talk with Dan Monson before taking the job. That is so lazy. Monson was hired in a totally different context with significant recruiting restrictions. Further, he has done little to demonstrate he is a great coach since leaving. Gonzaga would likely not be the #1 seed had Monson stayed there. They would be much like Long Beach State likely.

The new coach has a new facility, and a new AD who seems to strongly support his coaches. College basketball, other than a handful of blue bloods, is dependent on the coach. A program that 10-20 years ago was seen as a doormat can now be a top 20 program, and the opposite is also true. I remember many of the talking heads calling MN a top 20 program, which in many ways it was, when Clem was let go. Wisconsin was not a top 20-30 program twenty years ago, or was Gonzaga. It’s cyclical, and largely dependent on coaches much more than football. We’ve simply gone 0-3 in our last three hires, and an incompetent AD screwed up the last search.

Last edited:

That sounds like a heck of resume. Let sign him up!
I’ll be looking forward to a 10 win improvement next year and give a solid C+ for a “mildly successful” 24 win 2021-22 season from our next coach then.

RP's Wiki page is updated so that good enough for me.

? - confusing Lou Henson with Judd Heathcote - ? (Judd did not have the obvious rug piece)
Or maybe Jim Henson? Although he did have great hair and bread...

I’ll be looking forward to a 10 win improvement next year and give a solid C+ for a “mildly successful” 24 win 2021-22 season from our next coach then.

Either way we can probably close the book on Pitino, but the good news for you is if one year of a couple games over .500 and 2nd place in the Sun Belt impresses you that much, there are ALOT of candidates that should blow you away this time around.

Top Bottom