Pitino post game -tried to get team fired up for rivalry game, frustrated for Joey...

GopherLady

Reaction score
And other post Badger game notes here ->

Richard Pitino:
• They're a really good team, we're having difficulties just from an offensive standpoint, driving the ball, and that's been our identity. Playing a little slower on the break. Really happy with Steph, to play like that was really impressive, 37 mins with no TO. Disappointed Joey didn't have a better game, because he embodies what we're trying to build here. All about the name on the front of the jersey.
• It's difficult because we have a lot of guys playing a lot of different positions. We'd like a lot of possessions and get more fast breaks, but we aren't doing that much anymore. Change from and x's and o's standpoint.
• On suspended players support during the game? I didn't even notice them, to be honest. I could give you a fake answer.
• Steph is a good player, we've always known that, just where to play him because he's not really a point. We've always like him. Back to the IU game, Steph wouldn't shoot it when he was open. Then I told him to shoot it when he was open, and the next game he had the worst miss I'd ever seen, and I said never mind.
• Will Sharp get a scholarship? It's really hypothetical, but we always consider those things when we have available scholarships.
• Tonight was difficult. I'd be lying if I said, you have your rival in town, you want to have everyone juiced up, and you didn't have that feel. It's hard when you don't have all your options, you want to give it your best shot. I tried to get them to understand this is a rivalry game.
• 1000% frustrated for Joey, he deserves to go out a winner, and he is a winner. Hopefully we have a little more basketball left. He's been a great Gopher, if we want to get to where we want to get to, it's with guys like him, growing up in our state and dreaming of playing for the Gophers.
• Joey has expanded his game, he's got kind of an in between game that's good, has become a better defender, better rebounder, not great. He's a much better shooter than he was tonight.
• Normally we play 2 guards, ball handling guards. The reason why I'm playing Murph and Joey is because we need 2 offensive low post presence in the game, where Bakary isn't a great threat down there.
• Never considered not having the suspended players on the bench.

Thanks GL. Some good stuff from Richard. Sharpe no turnovers than is super impressive.

TY, GL. I've actually gotten to like and respect Pitino more through all of this. If he gets through this with most of the team intact and keeps the recruits, we're going to be a better team next year because of all that has happened. Given my druthers, I'd take the less painful path though.

Just back from the game. I was mildly shocked when they played the "undeniable" video again which closes with a Dorsey dunk. I guess it is a sign that they remain committed to these guys returning and they decided not to purge them?

We thought about leaving at halftime - we were surrounded by Badgers in primo seats. But I was proud of how tough we played them in second half. Glad I stayed.

TY, GL. I've actually gotten to like and respect Pitino more through all of this. If he gets through this with most of the team intact and keeps the recruits, we're going to be a better team next year because of all that has happened. Given my druthers, I'd take the less painful path though.

I agree with you there Mulligan. You find out more about what people are made of when times are tough. I have been very impressed that Pitino has held this squad together and improved these players throughout this year. Before this latest incident we were on the verge of becoming a pretty good team. I hope these guys get their act together because there is a ton of potential here.

Just back from the game. I was mildly shocked when they played the "undeniable" video again which closes with a Dorsey dunk. I guess it is a sign that they remain committed to these guys returning and they decided not to purge them?

No, they were just too lazy to pull it.

No, they were just too lazy not to pull it.

yep, that was my thought as well. typical.

i was half waiting for a video montage highlighting carlos morris' career last night for senior night.

it was good to see the three suspended guards very engaged on the bench last night.

Me too. Plus it sucks. My friend at the game thought they should have used the sex tape instead.

Me too. Plus it sucks. My friend at the game thought they should have used the sex tape instead.
The video is no big deal. I mean if that bothers people they are over thinking . I mean how shocking? So was it also shocking he even sat on the bench ?I mean what is the difference? I suppose we should just run him out of town before someone looks at him and turns to stone. I don't get this board sometimes. A bunch of negative whining about every little mundane detail. Burning the programs and any team picture with all the suspended players in them seems it order as well.

A low bar to step over.

6 losses in a row to the Badgers. I remember what Bill Musseman said at the old Backcourt Club meeting at Jax:
" We jus don't want to beat our rivals ( Iowa and Wisconsin) we want them to think they've just gone through there worst nightmare" HIRE ERIC MUSSELMAN !

Top Bottom