Pitino post game - Murphy is too valuable for foul trouble, need fans on Saturday...

GopherLady

Reaction score
and other comments from his post game interview on 1500 with Mike Grimm and Spencer Tollackson:

Richard Pitino:
• I'm trying to look for it on the stat sheet, I think when Murph got his 4th foul, it was a 3 point game, and I think the game changed then. He's too valuable, when Bakary and Gas aren't giving us much. For 33 minutes or 28 minutes I thought we were really battling. It's hard when the ball's not going in the basket.
• On Murphy's 4th - it was on a backscreen on a half court play, he grabbed a jersey, you can't do that, he's too valuable to the team.
• On OSU shutting King down - I'm not so sure they did a whole lot, Joey was getting good looks, just wasn't making them. We were trying to get inside, we just didn't finish. I thought Nate was getting to the basket, just wasn't finishing.
• On Morris - He's battling, he's not perfect, but he's fighting. He's trying really really hard, doesn't mean he's not making mistakes, but he's giving effort.
• I'm not sure, I gave a big speech about throwing the 1st punch, but I think we threw a big 2nd punch. I don't know what it is with these slow starts. Credit to them, they're a good team.
• On Gilbert - he's just got to continue to get quicker, part of his problem is speed, he dove on that loose ball, hit 2 3's which is big.
• People are down on us, I get that, but we need their support more than anything. We need a great home court advantage, I get it's a 2 way street.

Thad Matta:
• We put them on the foul line in the 1st half, we weren't as sharp as we needed to be for a 15 minute stretch. It was a game of runs, fortunately we were on the winning side. Once we started executing, we were getting the shots we wanted. Gotta keep building.

Thanks for the notes. We need to work it out where Murphy gets to have 6 or 7 fouls.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Gas and Konate seem like great kids but they are not skilled or strong enough to be big time college players. If this team had a Mbakwe or similar type of player at the 4 or 5 how many more wins on the season could we expect?

Gas and Konate seem like great kids but they are not skilled or strong enough to be big time college players. If this team had a Mbakwe or similar type of player at the 4 or 5 how many more wins on the season could we expect?

A ****load. Anytime you can get an all conference player you add wins, replace non conference players and you get a lot of wins.

It wasn't just Murphy's 4th foul, it was his 3rd, too. His fourth foul was stupid, but his third foul was stupider. He's got to be smarter out there. He has to be aware of how valuable he is to the team.

Isn't Murphy a Mbakwe clone who plays the 4?

I guess he is a slim Mbakwe but not quite as tough defensively yet. Just thinking out loud about how weak the 5 position is currently I guess.

I guess he is a slim Mbakwe but not quite as tough defensively yet. Just thinking out loud about how weak the 5 position is currently I guess.

Yeah I hear what you are saying. I think the Gophers have their Mbakwe, they just don't have anything close to Walker or EE at the 5 which would go a long ways right now.

Isn't Murphy a Mbakwe clone who plays the 4?

Yeah. Those are my thoughts. Wouldn't hurt two have two of them though. We obviously need 10 fouls out of that spot.

Having a guy like Walker back would do wonders. That and a point guard. And a shooting presence from the guard position. And a defensive plan in the half court.

Having a guy like Walker back would do wonders. That and a point guard. And a shooting presence from the guard position. And a defensive plan in the half court.

Yeah, but other than those deficiencies, we're in great shape.

I don't think the Mbakwe/Murphy clone is accurate. Different players.

Murphy

I agree, Mbakwe was a phenominal athlete. Murphy as a freshmen reminds me a bit of Draymon Green, sneaky athleticism. Plays a lot bigger than his height.

Remember Mbakwe was in his what 4th year out of high school when he stepped on the court for us so 21-22, Murphy is 18.

With a good center next to him Murphy could become a 17 pt, 10 reb, a game stud by his sr year. Meaning he shouldn't have to play the 5. He should be able to play the 4 and occasionally the 3. His outside shot looks decent he might add that 3 pointer in the years ahead.

I don't think the Mbakwe/Murphy clone is accurate. Different players.

Of course they are different players. I think the point is on our current roster, Mbakwe's skill set most resembles Murphy's. If we are looking to plug a hole, a center with some moves with his back to the basket and ability to take up space would be of great value to Murphy, and this current team. Mbakwe was not a back to the basket, post up center. I don't think he would compliment this team as well as a stud at any other position on the team. Like I said though, We need all the minutes we can get out of quality players, so of course he would help the team, just not my first choice for a former gopher to rejoin the team.

Outside of having some range, I don't see the Draymond Green comparison at all. Green was a high bball IQ guy who could beat you anywhere on the court.

Yeah. Those are my thoughts. Wouldn't hurt two have two of them though. We obviously need 10 fouls out of that spot.

Don't forget the Gophers have another PF in Curry signed for next year. Add him and Lynch and our frontcourt should be much better.

Don't forget the Gophers have another PF in Curry signed for next year. Add him and Lynch and our frontcourt should be much better.

Yeah, I'm just annoyed my that it appears we won't even be competitive in most games this year. Gopher hoops gets me through the winter!

It's really, really, really, really important that Lynch be an immediate and significant contributor at the center position next season.

Did I mention it's really important we find a center who can provide something more than token minutes?

Murphy, Curry, Lynch and hopefully Theo John will make a nice front line in a couple of years

Murphy, Curry, Lynch and hopefully Theo John will make a nice front line in a couple of years

That's what I'm hoping for too. Just wish they could be tough defensively this year (improve in this area during the season).

That's what I'm hoping for too. Just wish they could be tough defensively this year (improve in this area during the season).

Ya at this point I'd take the Clem the gem approach with our Big guys. Five hard fouls on the other teams best scorers each and then go small

Top Bottom