Pitino post game - happy with what they're doing, but not their record

GopherLady

Reaction score
Here are Pitino's notes, as always, not verbatim, catching what I can while they talk. He didn't have the gems like he did against Maryland...but this wasn't exactly like the Maryland win...

Richard Pitino:
• With Lewis getting hurt, it kind of changed their game plan a bit, they played small, it got us out of rhythm a bit. Happy with the win. Dupree is really getting better in front of our eyes, Kevin is. It was a tough game for Bakary and Gas with them playing 4 or 5 guards at a time.
• 2 game streak - yes and no, you're happy with it, I'm happy with a lot of what we're doing, I'm not happy with our record, but you take it one day at a time. I like the progress of guys moving forward, I think we're playing our best bball, we played really well at Iowa, didn't get the win, and Maryland. We took a step back at the FT line.
• Win on the road? I think for us, as long as you continue to defend and rebound, we've got some decent speed, you can't get on the break if you don't get stops, we talked about assisted jump shots today. We turned it over 10 times in the 1st half, that was not good. We need to improve off the way we're playing. This game was different than Maryland, they have some injuries and such.
• Did you overlook them? When Greg Lewis got hurt, it was a little unorthodox, when you're playing against 4 guards. Our guys did a good job of regrouping at halftime. Since Iowa, we've been a pretty connected team. They were ready go to, but threw us out of our rhythm a little bit.
• A little careless, I don't really know why, we've done a pretty good job of taking care of the ball this year. I think we're #1 in the conference at FT attempts, but we've got to make our FT attempts.
• On McBrayer - I've always been very excited about him, he's versatile, he's got length, he can jump over guys. He's getting to the rim, slashing into the rim, good on the break. He must have had 10 or 11 deflections, once he puts on 10/15 pounds, he's going to be really good. More than anything, it was how to get his shots on the court. He was trying to shoot 3's off the bounce, you don't practice that a lot, you practice 3's off a pass. He's getting hot the last 3 games, and confidence is building.
• On Murphy - he was pretty good last game, he had 19 and 14, he missed 9 shots, if he could of made 4 more of those…very good offensive rebounder. He's going to be a bit of a match-up issue. He's extremely productive for a freshman. He was really talking in the huddles, getting everyone together.
• I think the biggest thing is, you take it one day at a time. Give them a couple of days off because we have to, and practicing on Friday. IL came in here and beat us, we need to find a way to steal that one back, they came in here and beat us on the foul line.
• Staying humble, staying hungry, and continue to work more than anything
• This was a little different than the Maryland win, they were happy, btu a little different than a Maryland win, but it's nice to be on the winning side.

Thanks GL. Good report

What did not make it to the report, was meeting your son tonight!

Me: So, is Dr. Don always drunk, or is that just a joke?
Dr. Don Jr.: Yes.

What did not make it to the report, was meeting your son tonight!

Me: So, is Dr. Don always drunk, or is that just a joke?
Dr. Don Jr.: Yes.

He is really good at giving short, precise answers. :drink::drink::drink:

Top Bottom