Pitino post game - finally showing frustration, talks about lack of confidence...

GopherLady

Reaction score
Here are the post game notes, as always, not verbatim, just catching what I can while he talks and I type. This is going to be a looooong year.

Richard Pitino
• I think we were missing shots and let it affect our D, rebounding, FT shooting, let it take our confidence away from us. When you're not making shots, gotta stay positive. Gotta give them credit, they're a good team.
• I said at the beginning of the year, I thought we were playing some tricky teams. We need to protect our home court, I know we're young a lot to learn. The rebounding is what really hurt us.
• On Jordan Murphy - I thought the only issue was that he got his shot blocked a few times, needed to go up stronger.
• (Marcus asking about Murphy starting) You ask it every day, and I'm not trying to be rude, but starting to me doesn't matter a whole lot. (He also cut him off when asking a follow-up and said "enough").
• On Dorsey - couldn't put any pressure on his heel. We thought maybe there was a chance, but he couldn't put any pressure on it during shoot around.
• Bakary doesn't have great hands just yet. It's a trust factor, he's raw. They trust when they throw it into Murphy, he's going to catch it. We're not a great shooting team and don't have a great low post presence.
• I think it was our offense was dictating our defense, they were getting down on themselves, like Nate. We were getting stops but not rebounds.
• Do you think the issue is more getting out played, or not having enough talent? Pitino: I don't know how to answer that question.
• They started off the game with a bunch of 3's. It's not perfect, we lost a lot of confidence on the court. I thought defensively, we were doing some good things, we need to rebound the ball more.
• Murph isn't a great FT shooter, but he's not bad
• They're like WI, they post up, they got us a couple times. When you don't have great depth in the front court, you get smaller.
• Guys like to see the ball going in the basket. When you lose, and you lose like this at home, it's hard, there's nowhere to hide, you're frustrated you get down on yourself. You just have to stay with it, and experience does that.
• We understood it was going to be difficult, we understood we'd be tested, I think we respect every opponent, I think guys are just getting down on themselves, it's my job to keep them positive.

Morris was playing hard, doing some good things. It's tough, but we have to give them a couple of days off.

If Coach is getting snippy now, it will only get worse as the season goes on if this doesn't turn around.

If Coach is getting snippy now, it will only get worse as the season goes on if this doesn't turn around.

I disagree. The team was expected to win these non conference games. I don't think anyone is expecting them to do anything in the B10 season. With how bad the team looks now, if they play B10 teams competitively Pitino will be happy and play the "moral victory" card.

I disagree. The team was expected to win these non conference games. I don't think anyone is expecting them to do anything in the B10 season. With how bad the team looks now, if they play B10 teams competitively Pitino will be happy and play the "moral victory" card.

I don't think Pitino has ever played the moral victory card. For as upset as we are about losing, I'm guessing he feels that way time 100.

"Tricky teams"? I chuckled at that...Thanks GL.

It can be used interchangeably with "matchup problems." I think it means they have better players at key positions than we do or they have guys that our guys can't guard. It's usually invoked when describing one of the Dakota teams.

This was a pretty unsatisfying postgame transcript. "We're not a great shooting team and don't have a great low post presence." Well, that's pretty much basketball right there. Maybe that does answer the question Pitino refused to answer about whether they're any good.

I agree, GL - this is going to be a long year. Was expecting, now just hoping to see some improvement by halfway through the conference schedule.

Regarding the presser, sorry, but the youth excuse is not working. Lots of teams are young and you expect inconsistency with young teams. We are not inconsistent, we are just plain bad. Have we shown any improvement at all, other than Murphy?

It can be used interchangeably with "matchup problems." I think it means they have better players at key positions than we do or they have guys that our guys can't guard. It's usually invoked when describing one of the Dakota teams.

This was a pretty unsatisfying postgame transcript. "We're not a great shooting team and don't have a great low post presence." Well, that's pretty much basketball right there. Maybe that does answer the question Pitino refused to answer about whether they're any good.

I agree, GL - this is going to be a long year. Was expecting, now just hoping to see some improvement by halfway through the conference schedule.

Yeah, maybe I better reassess my thinking. Was going to use this point in the schedule as a reference point on improvement, guess it's best to push it to where you suggest, middle of the conference. Dang.

It's pretty sad that this far into Pitino's tenure and we still have "matchup problems" with every team that we face. It sure is a good thing that the team made the trip to Spain so that we would have great chemistry this season :rolleyes:

Can't keep wasting scholarships

Too many wasted scholarships, starting with his very 1st recruit to Minnesota getting booted for beating the snot out of his girlfriend. Lofton another, Gaston not looking really promising. In addition to the myriad of problems on the court, can't keep throwing away scholarships like that.

Too many wasted scholarships, starting with his very 1st recruit to Minnesota getting booted for beating the snot out of his girlfriend. Lofton another, Gaston not looking really promising. In addition to the myriad of problems on the court, can't keep throwing away scholarships like that.

+1. It's inevitable that there will be a couple. But Lofton and Martin contributed nothing. Diedhou appears to be a lost cause. Konate's not much better. I want to share optimism about Lynch and the kid from A&M, but Spring recruits rarely set the world on fire. Tubby had this issue too. But at least guys like Igram and Mav eventually contributed something.

Well presumably our level of competition should only be getting harder, but then again the Big Ten sucks this year. So maybe 5-6 conference wins is reasonable...

I don't think Pitino has ever played the moral victory card. For as upset as we are about losing, I'm guessing he feels that way time 100.

But I'm not getting 1.6 million to cope with my frustrations either.

That makes it harder

But I'm not getting 1.6 million to cope with my frustrations either.

Getting paid big money only makes it more frustrating, not less! I'd say Pitino is a couple million times more frustrated than you are. He wants to do well down to his core. He totally expects to do well.

+1. It's inevitable that there will be a couple. But Lofton and Martin contributed nothing. Diedhou appears to be a lost cause. Konate's not much better. I want to share optimism about Lynch and the kid from A&M, but Spring recruits rarely set the world on fire. Tubby had this issue too. But at least guys like Igram and Mav eventually contributed something.

At least we gave them a chance to

It's obvious the mistakes he made in year one and two on the recruiting trail are costing us dearly right now. I've said this many times I'll say it again. You can't blame him for the recruiting mistakes AND then shambles the team is in today, they are one in the same. I mean you can, but I don't think that's very fair, neither to Pitino or the kids.

Hopefully he doesn't make the same mistakes twice. Time will tell. Until then,find a new passion... I picked up a new found love in soccer.... That's a long season.

Thanks. I forgot about Martin.

Yep. We have what seems to be a few too many square pegs for round holes resulting from spring recruits and transfers. A transfer here or there would be fine but the gophers have a high amount of these types of players right now and it doesnt seem to be working.

Lynch and Fitzgerald aren't spring recruits though.

Next year team should go with

Mason - Coffey - Fitgerald - Murphy - Lynch

Then

Dorsey - McBrayer - Buggs - Curry - Konate

Hurt when you need a shooter and Gilbert and diedhiuo in spot duty

Hope is Hurt and Curry surprise and push other like Buggs and get more playing time because we can't afford to not have them on the floor.

Top Bottom