Pitino on Curry recovery

It's an interesting "what-if" to ponder...what if everything had gone right for this team from the start? Nobody got hurt or suspended...the good vibes from November were permanent. What if Minnesota was sitting where Purdue is right now and sizing up a major March/April run? Would you want Curry to return in February? If you were him would you give up a year of eligibility to do so?

I suppose that IF the player in question knew he wasn't going to stick for 4 years - planning to jump to the pros or Europe - you might bag a year of eligibility if you had a legitimate shot at a Final Four or something like that. But Curry is not in that league - good complimentary player, but not the kind of guy who's going to be a high NBA draft pick. If he was a borderline prospect, and wanted to show the NBA he was healthy before the draft, that might be another scenario to come back early. If he comes back healthy and has a couple of really good years, I could see him maybe being a second-round late pick. But that is not worth giving up the year of eligibility.

It's an interesting "what-if" to ponder...what if everything had gone right for this team from the start? Nobody got hurt or suspended...the good vibes from November were permanent. What if Minnesota was sitting where Purdue is right now and sizing up a major March/April run? Would you want Curry to return in February? If you were him would you give up a year of eligibility to do so?

If you have a team that is capable of Sweet 16 or better, I would.

Also, does the 30% rule not still apply to his case? He would only appear in 5-6 games tops. That said, I would not risk rushing him back for this situation.

If you have a team that is capable of Sweet 16 or better, I would.

Also, does the 30% rule not still apply to his case? He would only appear in 5-6 games tops. That said, I would not risk rushing him back for this situation.

To qualify for a medical redshirt the player cannot participate in the 2nd half of the season.

Top Bottom