Pitino Job

You give Pitino the season. Or half season if the wheels come off early. You don't handicap a new coaching search by doing it in the middle of the summer. We got Tubby because we fired Monson midway through the season and allowed back channels to work while the season came to a conclusion.

We did get Monson (objectively a good hire at the time, given the circumstances) in June. But I wouldn't want to try that luck again.

Pitino deserves this next year. If he fails, fire him in February or March. There is a negative effect on firing a coach in summer for recruiting that we cannot afford.

As far as who to replace him, here is my list:

1. Musselman - for the warm-up alone.
2. Hoiberg - he has the chops to recruit well in the Midwest.
3. Jim Petersen - I'm a sucker for ex-gophers.
4. Novak - I know he has never coached in college but I bet he could recruit the crap out of Minny.
5. Bickerstaff - I'd rather pass though

In fact, I' think about giving Ryan Saunders a shot before hiring Bickerstaff.

I think Ben Jacobson would be at the top of my "somewhat realistic" list.

I think Ben Jacobson would be at the top of my "somewhat realistic" list.

He has a 4.5 million buyout as well, so the Gophers would be out 11+ million before a new contract is even signed if they wanted to go this route. Which won't happen.

He has a 4.5 million buyout as well, so the Gophers would be out 11+ million before a new contract is even signed if they wanted to go this route. Which won't happen.

Ah, didn't know that. Yeah that would be pretty expensive. A booster (or many) would need to be willing to flip the bill.

Idiotic thread. I'll take the over. For any line given for the next 12 months. If he gets canned next summer it will be due to poor on-court performance next season, not for what's got the mindless media in a frenzy at this moment.

Idiotic thread. I'll take the over. For any line given for the next 12 months. If he gets canned next summer it will be due to poor on-court performance next season, not for what's got the mindless media in a frenzy at this moment.
x2

You are probably one of those who doesn't recognize patterns. When almost half of your roster is suspended/arrested in a single year it is on the coach. If it were just one player then it's not a team issue, but when it is six of your players then it is a team issue. Are people really so dense that they don't see how all of the player conduct issues are connected? Apparently.

Kaler is the president of the university. Not the athletic department. The athletic department is a very small part of his job. The budget of the university is well over $3B and the athletic department has a budget of around $100M. He got one hire wrong with it. Appears he got the next hire right in Coyle, but time will tell. I'm not saying Kaler is good with managing sports, but it shouldn't be what he is judged on - his job is much bigger than athletics.
Try again. Bga has been recognizing patterns for a long time in business. And he is spot on as regards Kaler's responsibility. And, yes Kalers job is bigger than athletics and he is not well regarded by anyone I know in academics or administration. Now there is a pattern for you. Poor support of his programs and people, failure to build a culture of mutual respect and support.

Pitino deserves this next year. If he fails, fire him in February or March. There is a negative effect on firing a coach in summer for recruiting that we cannot afford.

As far as who to replace him, here is my list:

1. Musselman - for the warm-up alone.
2. Hoiberg - he has the chops to recruit well in the Midwest.
3. Jim Petersen - I'm a sucker for ex-gophers.
4. Novak - I know he has never coached in college but I bet he could recruit the crap out of Minny.
5. Bickerstaff - I'd rather pass though

In fact, I' think about giving Ryan Saunders a shot before hiring Bickerstaff.

Kenny Novak? I really don't think you would find that the high school coaches in Minnesota would line up behind him. There are many who have questioned how Hopkins got to be Hopkins.

It would probably feel good to fire Pitino right now and go in another direction, but I have to agree with those who say give him another year to straighten things out. When we have acted rashly in the past with firing coaches (see Mase, Tubby) the results have been disastrous. The timing just doesn't feel right. The only way I think they could or should fire Pitino is if the money is lined up and Coyle, like Whitman, already has his man waiting in the wings.

Try again. Bga has been recognizing patterns for a long time in business. And he is spot on as regards Kaler's responsibility. And, yes Kalers job is bigger than athletics and he is not well regarded by anyone I know in academics or administration. Now there is a pattern for you. Poor support of his programs and people, failure to build a culture of mutual respect and support.

Anyone who blames the school president for athletics is not spot on. That is like 3% of the school president's job. ($100M/$3.5B = 3%ish) If you have a problem with the way he handles academics that's fine, but last time I checked this is a Gopher basketball thread. To equate the situation with the basketball team to the student population -- If a third of the U of M students were arrested or suspended in a given year everyone would be calling for Kaler's head and rightfully so.

The things you say about deal with opinions. I am dealing with facts.

He does have a hefty buyout, but Jacobson also has a clause in his contract that allows him to choose two schools each year for which his buyout is capped at $1M. If we plant the seed now...

Anyone who blames the school president for athletics is not spot on. That is like 3% of the school president's job. ($100M/$3.5B = 3%ish) If you have a problem with the way he handles academics that's fine, but last time I checked this is a Gopher basketball thread. To equate the situation with the basketball team to the student population -- If a third of the U of M students were arrested or suspended in a given year everyone would be calling for Kaler's head and rightfully so.

You are talking about your opinion regarding facts. It is also a fact that Arnie Carlson called for Kaler to be fired. It is a reasonable statement made by bga - one that didn't exactly blame Kaler, but that is a nuance you missed. I'm sorry your mind is too concrete to grasp the point.

You are talking about your opinion regarding facts. It is also a fact that Arnie Carlson called for Kaler to be fired. It is a reasonable statement made by bga - one that didn't exactly blame Kaler, but that is a nuance you missed. I'm sorry your mind is too concrete to grasp the point.

Where is my opinion involved in $100M/$3.5B = about 3%? Where is my opinion involved in 5 players being suspended or arrested? Those are simple facts.

And again, this is a basketball board.

Also thanks for letting me know Arne's opinion on the matter.

Get real. Basketball is a big business. The population of D1 basketball players and the collective qualifications they have as students is not in the same universe as the general student population who cannot get into school without the right qualifications on test scores and GPA. Beyond that the athletes face temptations that the average run of the mill student does not. Then the icing on the cake is that this is a city university with a ton more outside distractions nearby than your more isolated campuses have. Monitoring these kids is a whole lot more difficult than hiring and monitoring a good AD for example.

I'm tired of the constant firing and hiring cycles here. Tubby Smith was a great coach who had the wind at his sails, the town viewed him as the program savior and locals were lined up to help him succeed...and the best he could do was .500 in the Big Ten in 6 years. This is a tough, tough job and one that will require a heap of energy and recruiting and yes a fair amount of luck and support to succeed at in a big way, such as compete for a Big ten title. We have a guy that is showing the energy, that recruits hard, and who has just finally assembled good talent of his own and we want to cut his legs out. No thanks.

Where is my opinion involved in $100M/$3.5B = about 3%? Where is my opinion involved in 5 players being suspended or arrested? Those are simple facts.

And again, this is a basketball board.

Also thanks for letting me know Arne's opinion on the matter.
It is a basketball board for the University of Minnesota Basketball team with a team of student athletes. If you just want to talk about pure basketball, go to the Timberwolves board. I'm sure they would love your command of the facts.

Get real. Basketball is a big business. The population of D1 basketball players and the collective qualifications they have as students is not in the same universe as the general student population who cannot get into school without the right qualifications on test scores and GPA. Beyond that the athletes face temptations that the average run of the mill student does not. Then the icing on the cake is that this is a city university with a ton more outside distractions nearby than your more isolated campuses have. Monitoring these kids is a whole lot more difficult than hiring and monitoring a good AD for example.

I'm tired of the constant firing and hiring cycles here. Tubby Smith was a great coach who had the wind at his sails, the town viewed him as the program savior and locals were lined up to help him succeed...and the best he could do was .500 in the Big Ten in 6 years. This is a tough, tough job and one that will require a heap of energy and recruiting and yes a fair amount of luck and support to succeed at in a big way, such as compete for a Big ten title. We have a guy that is showing the energy, that recruits hard, and who has just finally assembled good talent of his own and we want to cut his legs out. No thanks.

Actually agree with almost all of what you say there. Still think 5 guys arrested/suspended in a given year is too much, but I totally agree with the idea that there are more temptations for a D1 student-athlete than a regular student. Would add that those players are also given many privileges in terms of scholarships, help with schoolwork, and other benefits that should help keep them on the straight and narrow.
I don't think we should fire Richard right now either. I believe in the 4 year rule -- every coach should get 4 years. Though I would say that even with a better roster this coming season my hopes for a NCAA tourney bid are not as high as some based on his first 3 years. And I don't think it's too much to ask for a tourney bid at least once every four years.

It is a basketball board for the University of Minnesota Basketball team with a team of student athletes. If you just want to talk about pure basketball, go to the Timberwolves board. I'm sure they would love your command of the facts.

No I like the Gophers better than the Wolves, but thanks for the idea. You could start a new thread about just academics here if you want. I'm sure there will be tons of posts

Kalers job is bigger than athletics and he is not well regarded by anyone I know in academics or administration.

People tend to associate with like-minded people. You don't like Kaler, therefore the people you associate with don't like him either. Shocking!

No I like the Gophers better than the Wolves, but thanks for the idea. You could start a new thread about just academics here if you want. I'm sure there will be tons of posts
Interesting response. Just curious - how many games did you attend last year and how much did you contribute to University of Minnesota Gopher athletics?

Interesting response. Just curious - how many games did you attend last year and how much did you contribute to University of Minnesota Gopher athletics?

I like college sports better than pro sports. Went to every home game except Maryland, Rutgers, and one non-conf game which I think was UNO. (Just my luck, I missed the two B1G wins.) Went down to Sioux Falls for the Ok St game too. Have season tix in Sect 204 Row 4. I don't keep track of how much I contribute, not gonna lie to you and tell you it's a huge amount but I'll up that as I make more money. Got my MBA at the U a year ago and I go to a couple MBA events a year and usually contribute at those. Didn't go to the U for undergrad. (Undergrad was at a place where a former Gopher assistant is the head bball coach. He actually remembered me from when I attended Clem Haskins camps as a kid. Even though I didn't play bball in college he was always really cool with me. I'd have lunch with him occasionally and he told me some pretty crazy stories from his Gopher days.)

The fall is generally busy for me due to some other commitments so I don't have season tix to football, but my family does and I always go to a couple games a year. Watched the Wisconsin game from the Carlson suite this year, but that was because my dad's company gives a lot of money to the U. Also go to a couple hockey games every year. Definitely gonna go out to Vegas for the UND game in a couple years.

Top Bottom