Pitino Job

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
Over/under on days before Pitino is out on a negotiated buyout? I don't think he lasts a month.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We can only hope it's a month. I'm guessing about 6.

Forces inside the university want him out. The people who talked to the Strib today on and off the record have made that abundantly clear. They want public opinion to destroy him in hopes of him quitting or accepting a low ball buyout.

Pitino should be the coach next season. What happens in the coming season should determine his future. If basketball is in the news prior to the season for more wrong reasons going forward then that may not happen.
But in listening to the press conference, I totally agree there was blood in the water but I think Mark Coyle will do as he said. And what I heard was that he wanted to take inventory before deciding to make any changes.
If Beth and the fellow coaches think Pitino should be gone immediately then I'd say he may be but I don't get the sense that is what he will hear.
Outside forces can't bully Mark Coyle or he might as well resign before he begins.

Forces inside the university want him out. The people who talked to the Strib today on and off the record have made that abundantly clear. They want public opinion to destroy him in hopes of him quitting or accepting a low ball buyout.

Curious if this is simply the embarrassment of the program, the losing, or something personal. As much as we can critique the off the court stuff, I have heard nothing about him being disliked personally, treating people badly, or anything else that would produce such venom. I can't really believe there are enough people inside the university that care about winning basketball games that losing would bring out the sharks like that. If the destroyers want him out, maybe their leaks should be more clear as to the reasons.

I think it is part how bad his players behave, part his entitled behavior, and part the horsesh1t basketball we have to watch. Another reason might be He is associated with Teague.

Hopefully Coyle negotiates the buyout down and Pitino is gone in the next 1-2 months, it's time to move on and get an adult in the chair.

Hopefully Coyle negotiates the buyout down and Pitino is gone in the next 1-2 months, it's time to move on and get an adult in the chair.

What incentive in the world does Pitino have to negotiate it down? Why would he just give money away?

What incentive in the world does Pitino have to negotiate it down? Why would he just give money away?

Oh it's a best case scenario. My only thought is maybe he wants to move on with the lack of support and the fact he's young and has extensive connections.

If we want another season like this past one, than go ahead and fire Pitino. The middle of May is too late to let go of a head coach. It would just compound the problem if Pitino was canned.

If we want another season like this past one, than go ahead and fire Pitino. The middle of May is too late to let go of a head coach. It would just compound the problem if Pitino was canned.

With all the distractions, it's probably better he's not around. He's a lame duck.

Oh it's a best case scenario. My only thought is maybe he wants to move on with the lack of support and the fact he's young and has extensive connections.

No it's not. He believes he can win with the guys he recruited. You can bet he wants a chance to prove it- otherwise the Minnesota job will be a stain on his record. If he wins this year- he may well want to beat it out of here then.

Bickerstaff could be brought in if necessary. They could find someone.

And then what? The timing couldn't be much worse. I just don't see how we would be able to hire anyone any better at this point in the year. Maybe I'm wrong but I just don't see us finding a better replacement in June. Coyle won't even be on campus again until after Memorial Day so I can't see anything happening until then.

The athletic department has made a ton of mistakes lately. Having to scramble to try and get a good replacement at this point doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

And then what? The timing couldn't be much worse. I just don't see how we would be able to hire anyone any better at this point in the year. Maybe I'm wrong but I just don't see us finding a better replacement in June. Coyle won't even be on campus again until after Memorial Day so I can't see anything happening until then.

The athletic department has made a ton of mistakes lately. Having to scramble to try and get a good replacement at this point doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

It isn't a good idea.

Nonetheless, it is clear the university, or at least some in it, want him gone right now.

Dumping Pitino won't solve the current problem. Season ticket renewals for this revenue sport are due the end of the month. They better figure out a way to unify and support the program, not just sit and wring their hands or they can kiss the program goodbye --- and it won't be Pitinos fault. He'll go elsewhere and be just fine.

At this point I'd rather Pitino play out the season.

If Illinois can hire a football coach 5 months before practice starts, the U can find a basketball coach. Risky, but it can be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You guys are all freaking nuts. Pitino can and will be successful (at Minnesota) and to pull the plug now would be beyond stupid, not too mention prohibitively expensive. Take the 7 mil you save and fund some need-based scholarships, or research, or anything more worthwhile than another coaching buyout.

You guys are all freaking nuts. Pitino can and will be successful (at Minnesota) and to pull the plug now would be beyond stupid, not too mention prohibitively expensive. Take the 7 mil you save and fund some need-based scholarships, or research, or anything more worthwhile than another coaching buyout.
All signs contraindicate that RP will be successful. When your school's president singles out your team as needing immediate improvement at the Presser introducing the new Athletic Diector, you should realize that you are living on borrowed time.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

The President was addressing the elephant in the room. The basketball team is in the press right now and everyone is tasting the blood in the water. I think Pitino will be successful. I think they will win this year and most everyone will let this slide into history. Time will tell as Pitino is not going anywhere this year.

I think the Maryland win is an indication that the Gophers were headed in the right direction until they got derailed by off court issues. We could have finished the season strong. The Reggie Lynch situation hurts, but is not necessarily insuperable. Next year should be better. I think an immediate coaching change would likely further destabilize the situation and would urge that we give it another year to see what happens.

I think the Maryland win is an indication that the Gophers were headed in the right direction until they got derailed by off court issues. We could have finished the season strong. The Reggie Lynch situation hurts, but is not necessarily insuperable. Next year should be better. I think an immediate coaching change would likely further destabilize the situation and would urge that we give it another year to see what happens.

Agree. Pitino should coach this year. Assess at the end of the season. Don't make it harder than it needs to be.

Firing Pitino isn't going to result in a significant influx of season ticket renewals. With or without Pitino the roster for next season doesn't change (except maybe get worse as people potentially leave). The only advantage I see is allowing the new coach time to build recruiting relationships, but even then it is still better for Pitino to coach and succeed. Here's hoping.

Curious if this is simply the embarrassment of the program, the losing, or something personal. As much as we can critique the off the court stuff, I have heard nothing about him being disliked personally, treating people badly, or anything else that would produce such venom. I can't really believe there are enough people inside the university that care about winning basketball games that losing would bring out the sharks like that. If the destroyers want him out, maybe their leaks should be more clear as to the reasons.

Pitino's team has been an embarrassment on and off the court. There are people who will take off-court issues if the team is winning, and people who don't care about winning as long as we have a clean program. Right now we have neither.

All signs contraindicate that RP will be successful. When your school's president singles out your team as needing immediate improvement at the Presser introducing the new Athletic Diector, you should realize that you are living on borrowed time.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Until yesterday's hire, Kaler's decisions and actions dealing with the Athletic Dept. have been less than stellar. Maybe someone should inquire about what his buy-out is.

Firing Pitino would set this program back 4 to 5 years and we cannot afford that.

1 year to prove himself.

Top Bottom