Pitino implements Twitter ban because it's "poison", Mason got concussion from Konate

GopherLady

Reaction score
Pitino implements Twitter ban because it's "poison", Mason got concussion from Konate

hitting him at practice going for a loose ball, called Eric Curry a "steal", perimeter shooting was more nerves than anything.

Here are my quick post-game notes from the press conference:
Jordan Murphy:
• We came out slow, but we picked it up at the end, towards the end. I knew we would pick it up and put the heat on.
• There's no game that we take lightly, that's still a college basketball team
• We put last season behind us, all of us feel the need to step up in a way, we all know what type of year this is going to be. We're in the mindset that we think we can achieve it.
• Come out every night and play hard, personal expectations I have, I'm not looking for awards or anything, I'm just trying to play the game the right way
• He has a higher IQ than I did, he's a better passer than I was too

Dupree McBrayer:
• On Eric - He's got potential, he's got great hands, as long as he keeps on working, he's going to be really good.

Richard Pitino:
• It was close for the first 10/12 minutes. They're basically playing 5 guards, you have a bigger line-up, it may not be the best way to play. I was more concerned with defensive rebounding.
• On Nate not playing with a concussion - I'd rather him play. It was kind of hard because the rotation has been Dupree as a 2, and back-up one, I couldn’t move Amir to the 1.
• Bakary hit him like he does everyone in practice, just going for a loose ball.
• Eric obviously was tremendous, I think we got a steal there. It's natural when you have 2 of the best players in the state, they will be talked about, Eric has got length, good hands, didn't show how good of a passer he is. Amir, with the assists and rebounding, did a good job defensively, still want him to be aggressive from the scoring standpoint. I didn't realize he was as good of a passer as he is, he can be a very good player. All those guys we brought in bring something different to the table.
• Reggie was really good, but when he got his legs under him a bit, he's got to find a way to not do that, he has not practiced, he had surgery, then was out, then had surgery again.
• 13 blocks was nice, we played hard. We got some good looks, getting to the foul line as much, but negative was not making them.
• On perimeter shooting - I think it was nerves today, we shot great in the scrimmage. Akeem hasn't played in front of fans, Amir, Michael hasn't.
• On Murph - the only thing I was not pleased with was some of the free throws. He did a good job of taking it on his own and getting to the basket, he kind of put us on his back there for a while.
• On Akeem - we don't have a lot of depth, so he's going to play, he's going to play a lot. He played 24 minutes, should be right around there, shows great leadership, he talks on defense which is great. I hope he makes every shot.
• 6 straight home games to start the season - I think Arlington is a scary game, so we better be ready
• Off Twitter for a few months - quite frankly, I think it's poison, I like our guys to stay away from it. It's not that I don't want them to have a voice, there's just too much negativity on there, I don't want our guys reading that. I'm not saying it's wrong, but if I can keep them away from that and focused on the right thing, I think it's helping them. Rarely you read Twitter and feel good about yourself afterwards. Lebron shuts it down in the playoffs, and we are too. The Akeem thing didn't play into it at all.

Thanks Nadine. This comment made me chuckle: "Bakary hit him like he does everyone in practice, just going for a loose ball."

Go Gophers!!

Thanks Nadine. This comment made me chuckle: "Bakary hit him like he does everyone in practice, just going for a loose ball."

Go Gophers!!

Come on Kontae, if you are going to bang with someone beat up on Gas... Can't be hurting your starting PG!

Come on Kontae, if you are going to bang with someone beat up on Gas... Can't be hurting your starting PG!

Is Bakary their Gilligan? Will he prevent them from being rescued?

Thanks Nadine.

Interesting that Pitino specifically mentions UT-Arlington. That's a little unusual coming from a coach. Flies directly against the "one game at a time" mantra coaches like to spout (as they should). Gophers have UL-Lafayette, first. Is season opener ULL not a scary game?

ULL wasn't good last year and they lost their best player.

So no that's not that scary of a game. UT-Arlington is a different story for sure.

I like that Pitino doesnt speak in coach-cliche. He's extremely good with the media. Would rather he had a really good team but for now, I like his personality.

I'm surprised that Pitino has mentioned a few times that Amir is a better defender and passer than he realized. Those are the two attributes I really remember people mentioning about him coming out of high school.

You might be right...

I'm surprised that Pitino has mentioned a few times that Amir is a better defender and passer than he realized. Those are the two attributes I really remember people mentioning about him coming out of high school.
What I saw in Coffey the few times I saw him in high school was somebody who could definitely pass well. Somebody who wanted to orchestrate with the ball. However, I never saw him play or take an interest in defense. Not that he couldn't...just didn't. So maybe Pitino is referring solely to the defense? Like you, I can't believe he didn't see the passing as a strength. I suppose he could also be saying, I knew he could pass but didn't realize he was THIS good. Hard to know. Pitino has been raving about Coffey's passing all summer and fall...so it's not brand new to him.

Could he a reference to how quickly he's adapting to the college level

He hardly ever showed much defensive greatness or intensity in general.. He must have that gear in him, just didn't display it because the HS game came so easily to him.

Curry was fun to watch and I think Amir is going to make a strong impact in the season. I'm excited.

Pitino referenced the small line-up we were going against and I get his comments. What was scary -- I hope they were nerves -- was that we were out rebounded for the better part of both halves. I don't know how we ended up at the end. I could see that the small line up would put our bigger guys in tough spots to consistently rebound, but I would have to imagine that it wouldn't make that big of an impact from the rebounding perspective.

I am stoked basketball season is in play!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh also!

Hurt's two three point shots in the last three minutes were beautiful! He's got a nice stroke that doesn't look like the rushed release Joey had.

Do you guys think Hurt has more speed then Joey?

Joey had a tough time separating himself around the perimeter to get quality three-point opportunities. I suspect his condensed release technique is compensation for his struggles with speed at the d1 level.

I couldn't decide if Hurt has the speed to get open or if we'll just plant him on the perimeter and get him opportunities by flexing the defense in our offensive sets.

Curry was fun to watch and I think Amir is going to make a strong impact in the season. I'm excited.

Pitino referenced the small line-up we were going against and I get his comments. What was scary -- I hope they were nerves -- was that we were out rebounded for the better part of both halves. I don't know how we ended up at the end. I could see that the small line up would put our bigger guys in tough spots to consistently rebound, but I would have to imagine that it wouldn't make that big of an impact from the rebounding perspective.

I am stoked basketball season is in play!

We ended up out rebounding Bemidji State 46-43

Thanks Nadine.

Interesting that Pitino specifically mentions UT-Arlington. That's a little unusual coming from a coach. Flies directly against the "one game at a time" mantra coaches like to spout (as they should). Gophers have UL-Lafayette, first. Is season opener ULL not a scary game?

He did mention UL-Lafayette as well, I just didn't get it all down since I was tying as he talked. I also think he's setting it up for fans as games we could lose, as he's talked about how tough the opponents are a few times. That's just my opinion though.

ULL wasn't good last year and they lost their best player.

So no that's not that scary of a game. UT-Arlington is a different story for sure.

I like that Pitino doesnt speak in coach-cliche. He's extremely good with the media. Would rather he had a really good team but for now, I like his personality.

I'm with you. I'm rooting for the guy, I really do like him and he's really a smart guy. Now it's time to like our record on the court as well as his personality!

Top Bottom