Pitino coming back

I'm not saying it is, but I wonder how much easier this decision was considering the strange times we are in. It probably wouldn't be incredibly easy to conduct a thorough search and all of that. I'm not saying that is part of it, but I think if Coyle was on the fence about Pitino, the circumstances probably helped push him in a certain direction.

I think the best move is to remove Pitino this year, but it's awkward timing and I get bringing him back for another year, considering.

Multiple sources have confirmed this and there really never seemed to be much steam that he was coaching for his job, outside of fan speculation.

I think one of two things will happen. Either he will have a really good year or I think Musselman is going to be the coach in two years. I hope this is a great year. I'm sure it was a tough decision for Coyle since Pitino will have his back against the wall this year, but my guess is that he didn't have the guy he wanted waiting to take the job lined up. Time to move forward and support the coach and team!!

I guess I kinda expected it even though I was one person looking for change. I do like him and hope that next year is a good one.

If Oturu goes to the NBA, I don't see how he makes it past next year. There will be no more excuses at that point (at least I can't think of any now but I'm sure some will pop up).

That is what I wonder, he may be in a position where he is set up to fail, part his making, part out of his control. He's getting guys now at least on the peripheral of the NBA, if that results in improved recruiting then there should be success down the road, if not it will be more of the same. I'm glad I don't have to make the decision.

Dumb ass Coyle

Oturu is gone.

This year's record is next year's ceiling. Season tickets, overall ticket sales, and attendance down 20% minimum before it's all over.

Guess I'll be watching the MWC closely to see if Utah St, Colorado St, or UNLV does best. One of those will be hired as new coach in 2021.

I think this is awful. What has SEVEN!!!! years done to prove to you people he should continue in his job. This isnt 2 years or 3 years where things happen, SEVEN FULL SEASONS and we are essentially 12th in the B1G pecking order, above Northwestern and Nebraska. Recruiting has been a near disaster, we NEVER have a bench, we have finished 500 or better ONCE (solid 14% of seasons), we havent developed players and we have ONE win in the NCAA tournament in that time. I understand its twitter, but go look at the responses, nearly unanimous laughter at our joke of a program and how the rest of the Big ten is rejoicing that we will continue to let MN kids go and dominate on other teams while we are a joke of a bottom dweller. Meanwhile we likely lose Oturu, will be hot garbage again next year, and then we fire him after next year, at which point we will be totally screwed on the 2022 MN class which might turn out to be an all-timer in terms of talent and we won't touch one of them. Pitino backers better start praying Oturu comes back and Mashburn is scoring 25 a night, because if you believe he will get anyone worth a darn in the spring, good luck. His spring recruiting record has been a total disaster. Maybe he can talk the NCAA into getting Demir, Hurt and Rudrud another year, they were huge this season! :cautious: I will never root for the Gophers to lose but man its going to be a long 12 months with pending doom on the horizon. Ohh and we are going to miss out on Muss last year and Smith this year, good call!

I think it's time to move on, with that said, I'll be there supporting team and coach next season and hope I'm proven wrong.

I've supported Pitino for majority of his time, he didn't walk into a great situation, but has had ample time to turn it around.

If Oturu goes to the NBA, I don't see how he makes it past next year. There will be no more excuses at that point (at least I can't think of any now but I'm sure some will pop up).

The excuse will be that Oturu left. I agree, it's lame, but that'll be it.

Edit: Salzie beat me to it.

Dumb ass Coyle

Oturu is gone.

This year's record is next year's ceiling. Season tickets, overall ticket sales, and attendance down 20% minimum before it's all over.

Guess I'll be watching the MWC closely to see if Utah St, Colorado St, or UNLV does best. One of those will be hired as new coach in 2021.
It will be a slow death march next year....Not a Pitino fan but he doesnt deserve the non-stop speculation and questions he will get next year

I think this is awful. What has SEVEN!!!! years done to prove to you people he should continue in his job. This isnt 2 years or 3 years where things happen, SEVEN FULL SEASONS and we are essentially 12th in the B1G pecking order, above Northwestern and Nebraska. Recruiting has been a near disaster, we NEVER have a bench, we have finished 500 or better ONCE (solid 14% of seasons), we havent developed players and we have ONE win in the NCAA tournament in that time. I understand its twitter, but go look at the responses, nearly unanimous laughter at our joke of a program and how the rest of the Big ten is rejoicing that we will continue to let MN kids go and dominate on other teams while we are a joke of a bottom dweller. Meanwhile we likely lose Oturu, will be hot garbage again next year, and then we fire him after next year, at which point we will be totally screwed on the 2022 MN class which might turn out to be an all-timer in terms of talent and we won't touch one of them. Pitino backers better start praying Oturu comes back and Mashburn is scoring 25 a night, because if you believe he will get anyone worth a darn in the spring, good luck. His spring recruiting record has been a total disaster. Maybe he can talk the NCAA into getting Demir, Hurt and Rudrud another year, they were huge this season! :cautious: I will never root for the Gophers to lose but man its going to be a long 12 months with pending doom on the horizon. Ohh and we are going to miss out on Muss last year and Smith this year, good call!

One thing this pandemic has shown to me, I really like sports. Come next year, I'll be excited to watch the Gophers, even if they lose a lot of games.

I just wonder how close this team was, Pitino thinks they were on the doorstep, Coyle must think the same.

Worst part about him staying is we will have to listen to those suffering from extreme PDS for another year.

It will be a slow death march next year....Not a Pitino fan but he doesnt deserve the non-stop speculation and questions he will get next year

This is 100% right. Bringing him back will make things pretty tough on him.

Here's to hoping for the following:
Carr takes another step up;
Ihnen takes a big step up;
We land a helpful grad transfer;
Gabe takes the next step;
Omersa becomes serviceable offensively.

Those things happen and we're in the NCAA tournament.

I of course will hope things are different next year but will be amazed if they are. The results have terrible and the future is not bright at all. The if, if, if crowd should be very happy though. Hopefully, that will make up for the loss in revenue from attendance.

I just wonder how close this team was, Pitino thinks they were on the doorstep, Coyle must think the same.
No, he/regents are too cheap to pay the buyout.

Top Bottom