Pitino and Time Outs

I Miss D.J.

Reaction score
What is it with Richard and his time outs? He hoards them at the end of games like they're worth millions of dollars.

Last night he had three left, Austin having trouble inbounding the ball. Instead of calling time, he lets Austin make a desperation play, resulting in a turnover. I remember the same thing happening at the end of the Wisconsin game in the Barn, which almost cost us the win.

Dude has to bail his players out in situations like that, and when they get trapped (he's left them hanging in those situations a few times as well).

What is it with Richard and his time outs? He hoards them at the end of games like they're worth millions of dollars.

Last night he had three left, Austin having trouble inbounding the ball. Instead of calling time, he lets Austin make a desperation play, resulting in a turnover. I remember the same thing happening at the end of the Wisconsin game in the Barn, which almost cost us the win.

Dude has to bail his players out in situations like that, and when they get trapped (he's left them hanging in those situations a few times as well).

In those situations, I want my senior captain to know when he needs a timeout or not.

Sometimes the coach needs to call a timeout but typically not during out of bounds plays. Coaches usually call timeouts to "bail" his players out if he is trapped or if the refs are counting and you are about to get a 5 second call which happened I believe @Iowa...and Pitino didn't bail his player out. But I agree with Bad Gopher...out of bounds plays...You need to trust your Sr.

SPEAKING OF...out of bounds plays under the hoop. Why do we struggle with them? Even last year its a throw into the back court. Just an observation but it is really frustrating.

I actually thought Pitino did a pretty good job of calling time outs, especially to stifle Iowa's comebacks. Like Bad Gopher said, the player should know when to call a timeout during an inbound situation.

There was an interesting dialogue on the Big Ten's Journey show last night that had a good bit on Pitino and his father. Really neat piece to see; but Rick was talking about how they text about 25 times per day and he will text him during the game (which he sees after) about why did you do this or why did you do that. One of the topics was use of his Time Out's around Media Timeouts. A few times this year he has taken some that don't make sense. But he had reasons, but the great thing was Rick was trying to make sure he was thinking and would he do that again if in that same situation.

He is 31 - even admitted that if his last name wasn't Pitino he probably doesn't get the Minnesota job. The players really seem to like playing for him and he seems to understand the game well.

There was an interesting dialogue on the Big Ten's Journey show last night that had a good bit on Pitino and his father. Really neat piece to see; but Rick was talking about how they text about 25 times per day and he will text him during the game (which he sees after) about why did you do this or why did you do that. One of the topics was use of his Time Out's around Media Timeouts. A few times this year he has taken some that don't make sense. But he had reasons, but the great thing was Rick was trying to make sure he was thinking and would he do that again if in that same situation.

He is 31 - even admitted that if his last name wasn't Pitino he probably doesn't get the Minnesota job. The players really seem to like playing for him and he seems to understand the game well.

That is the key.

Maybe Rick will learn something from the kid.:)

SPEAKING OF...out of bounds plays under the hoop. Why do we struggle with them? Even last year its a throw into the back court. Just an observation but it is really frustrating.

Don't mean to hijack this conversation but I've noticed this myself. This was one of the things that many people spent all day bashing Tubby about and we don't seem to be any better at it this year. I never thought it was a huge problem though as long as we got the ball in with around 15 to go on the shot clock. The freedom to shoot this year does improve things a little though so we don't have a shot clock violation. At this point it doesn't seem to be a point of emphasis for Pitino. If we continually screw ourselves over with a lack of time to get a shot off it will likely be a point of emphasis.

I think it has to do with lack of size, strength in pick setting combined with lack of quick guards not named lil Dre. Without lil Dre's speed when Iowa was trapping it would have been turnover city.

The commentators said the gophers worked on defending Iowa's "line" on inbounds plays. Maybe we should try the line?

I think it has to do with lack of size, strength in pick setting combined with lack of quick guards not named lil Dre. Without lil Dre's speed when Iowa was trapping it would have been turnover city.

The commentators said the gophers worked on defending Iowa's "line" on inbounds plays. Maybe we should try the line?

What could it hurt? What we're doing now isn't working. Throwing it to the back court should be a last resort.

Don't mean to hijack this conversation but I've noticed this myself. This was one of the things that many people spent all day bashing Tubby about and we don't seem to be any better at it this year. I never thought it was a huge problem though as long as we got the ball in with around 15 to go on the shot clock. The freedom to shoot this year does improve things a little though so we don't have a shot clock violation. At this point it doesn't seem to be a point of emphasis for Pitino. If we continually screw ourselves over with a lack of time to get a shot off it will likely be a point of emphasis.

Yes, I was one of the bashers. As noted, it does seem like we struggle again this year too. Does not the old fashioned pick across to your teammate and roll to the ball work on an in bounds play? It just seems like its a lot of guys just running around with no idea of how to get open, or at least set a pick to get a teammate open.

Yup, this

I am agreement completely with this.

Regarding the line offensively, most variations here are much more successful if you have a road grader type big or a tall big with hands and talent. Without either of those the line doesn't offer much advantage. You'll end up with bad spacing and short people clumped together or just throwing it deep anyway.

Our inbounds plays have been MILES better this year. We throw it in the backcourt once in a while? As if only bad teams throw it into the backcourt. As Tom Kelly would say: "What was the situation? How much time left in the game? How much time left on the shot clock? Who was on the floor? What was the score? etc. etc."

Occasionally, the other team (there is one out there trying to stop us), makes a good play or is in a defensive position that doesn't work out well and it's a struggle. That's gunna happen. It's a competitive game.

We also very clearly run plays with more than one option out of timeouts when we have the ball. This is also new this year.

Our lack of size is a big deal- both on defense and on in bounds plays. We are going 5-9, 6-0 and 6-4 and most Big 10 teams are a lot taller than that on the perimeter.

Yes, I was one of the bashers. As noted, it does seem like we struggle again this year too. Does not the old fashioned pick across to your teammate and roll to the ball work on an in bounds play? It just seems like its a lot of guys just running around with no idea of how to get open, or at least set a pick to get a teammate open.

I agree. They seem a little lazy with setting picks and popping open. They don't seem to be rushing or in a hurry trying to get open and settle for the guy at the half court line.

End of the game they seemed fine. Nice job by DeAndre getting open and then getting up court before Iowa could trap him.

In those situations, I want my senior captain to know when he needs a timeout or not.

After watching Dre not take one against IU and it happen a couple of other times, I'm starting to think Pitino locked them in a room with film of the 1993 NCAA championship game running on a loop. They seem terrified to bail themselves out and I don't get it.

Top Bottom