Pitino and his 'system'

Reaction score
I keep reading in posts that certain players will or will not fit into Pitino's 'system.'

I am confused about this statement. Since Pitino has yet to coach a game at the Univesity of Minnesota and has only one year as a head coach under his belt. My guess is he has an idea of how he would like to play but I don't think he has enough experience to have developed a 'system.' I believe for him, until he can get his feet wet, that there will be a lot of trial and error.

I keep reading in posts that certain players will or will not fit into Pitino's 'system.'

I am confused about this statement. Since Pitino has yet to coach a game at the Univesity of Minnesota and has only one year as a head coach under his belt. My guess is he has an idea of how he would like to play but I don't think he has enough experience to have developed a 'system.' I believe for him, until he can get his feet wet, that there will be a lot of trial and error.

He wants a fast paced game. Pressing the other team and looking for easy baskets off turnovers. For set offense, I am guessing it's a lot like Florida/Louisville. Guards drive and kick out for threes and open shooters. Man to man defense if opposing team breaks press. I'm guessing he is going to use 3 guards, maybe a small forward with ball handling skills.

Are you asking this because Joe transferred? If joe was 4 inches taller, he was have fit this system good enough

Coleman is quick and he moves well...played in your face D when asked....so what's up with that? Joe not fitting the system is a bunch of crap!

If a coach doesn't have enough experience to have a system what's he doing at Minnesota?

All coaches have an idea/plan and they'll recruit that way. Welcome to college basketball. Hell, even HS coaches have systems.

He wants a fast paced game. Pressing the other team and looking for easy baskets off turnovers. For set offense, I am guessing it's a lot like Florida/Louisville. Guards drive and kick out for threes and open shooters. Man to man defense if opposing team breaks press. I'm guessing he is going to use 3 guards, maybe a small forward with ball handling skills.

Are you asking this because Joe transferred? If joe was 4 inches taller, he was have fit this system good enough

No I am not asking because of Coleman. I think there is a difference between knowing how you want to play and a system. I think a system is something that develops over time and with experience. I do not believe that Pitino has a system. I believe he has an idea of how he would like to play. My worry is that he is going to find out quickly that most of the guys in the Big Ten don't care how he wants to play because they are going to do it their way. 2nd, I worry that he will have nowhere near the talent to do things the way he wants and does not have the experience to dictate a game as compared to guys like Izzo, Ryan, Etc..

I do think losing Coleman is a huge loss. Any time you lose someone it is a loss if you do not have someone ready to replace them who is better. The way that Pitino wants to play requires quite a bit of depth. Losing a guy like Coleman, who has played a lot of minutes and has had some good moments, is a big loss. To me this is not a system issue regarding Coleman, this is a drop off in talent issue. Coleman was not an All-American. But he has some talent.

You ask a good question and I fear the answer.

If a coach doesn't have enough experience to have a system what's he doing at Minnesota?

All coaches have an idea/plan and they'll recruit that way. Welcome to college basketball. Hell, even HS coaches have systems.

You ask a good question and I fear the answer.

Is Pitino any different than Billy Donovan before he was hired at Florida?

Is MN really any different than Florida before they hired Billy Donovan? Just food for thought. I'm not trying to say Pitino will be Donovan but just that it's possible.

No I am not asking because of Coleman. I think there is a difference between knowing how you want to play and a system. I think a system is something that develops over time and with experience. I do not believe that Pitino has a system. I believe he has an idea of how he would like to play. My worry is that he is going to find out quickly that most of the guys in the Big Ten don't care how he wants to play because they are going to do it their way. 2nd, I worry that he will have nowhere near the talent to do things the way he wants and does not have the experience to dictate a game as compared to guys like Izzo, Ryan, Etc..

I do think losing Coleman is a huge loss. Any time you lose someone it is a loss if you do not have someone ready to replace them who is better. The way that Pitino wants to play requires quite a bit of depth. Losing a guy like Coleman, who has played a lot of minutes and has had some good moments, is a big loss. To me this is not a system issue regarding Coleman, this is a drop off in talent issue. Coleman was not an All-American. But he has some talent.

Agreed. Coleman is one of the guys whom I anticipated would do well under Pitino.

You'd like to think so. We have some recent experience with that here, though. His name was Tim Brewster.

It's easy to say "Oh, well Brewster, he shouldn't have been hired in the first place." Well, you never know until you get here. Brewster had one less year of head coaching experience than Pitino. How much better was Brewster after one year's worth of Big Ten head coaching experience?

I'm not comparing Pitino with Brewster. But it's premature to assume that Pitino has a proven system/plan/idea and knows how to implement it simply because he was hired at Minnesota.

Parski, Coleman was like OJ's glove, he does not fit. Coleman worked hard and is a good athlete. He had a very poor shot and his ball handling skills were even worse. His turnover ratio per minute played was like Dr Don's high blood pressure, way out of the norm. Pitino needs ball handlers and shooters from his guards. Coleman offered none of that and the prior regime did not do any player developemnt, hence, he needed a change or watch his minutes decline. I partially blame Tubby but the responsibliy to improve is really on Coleman. The Tubby regime did not create an environemnt where players improved. Often times like with Ralph an Rodney for example, players got measuarbly worse under Tubby. Pitino is changing this with a new focus on skills and conditioning.

Parski, Coleman was like OJ's glove, he does not fit. Coleman worked hard and is a good athlete. He had a very poor shot and his ball handling skills were even worse. His turnover ratio per minute played was like Dr Don's high blood pressure, way out of the norm. Pitino needs ball handlers and shooters from his guards. Coleman offered none of that and the prior regime did not do any player developemnt, hence, he needed a change or watch his minutes decline. I partially blame Tubby but the responsibliy to improve is really on Coleman. The Tubby regime did not create an environemnt where players improved. Often times like with Ralph an Rodney for example, players got measuarbly worse under Tubby. Pitino is changing this with a new focus on skills and conditioning.

Double burn. Well played, sir. And I agree. Coleman ran the floor very well, and worked as hard as any guy on the floor, but his shot was awful. When he took a jumper I nearly prayed, and I am not a Holy Man (get it? - he's another GHer - give me some time, I'm working on my game m2s).

Top Bottom