PiPress: Tracy Claeys sees '8 to 10 wins' in 2016

I do think we should clarify whether we're including a potential bowl win when we talk about this. 8 regular season wins is much different than 7 with a win in a low-tier bowl.

I do think we should clarify whether we're including a potential bowl win when we talk about this. 8 regular season wins is much different than 7 with a win in a low-tier bowl.

Considering our record with bowl wins up until last year, I'll count it this time....

I am concerned with our division / schedule we rack up wins and get obliterated in bowl season.

I am going with 8 regular season wins.

There's a 95% chance the Gophers will be underdogs to 3 west teams (IA, @NEB, @WIS) and @ Penn State. So, to get to 9 wins, we'll have to pull of an upset, likely 2. And, we'll have to not stub our toe in the games we "should" win (OSU, ISU, CSU, RUT, PUR), and avoid losing the tossup games (@MD, @ILL, NW).

If you offered nine wins right now, I'd take it without thinking twice and go enjoy the Outback, Holiday, or Foster Farms Bowl.
I guess I would put MD in the should win category, year one of a new coach, terrible team last year

Despite the fact that our crossovers are fairly easy, I think this is an unhealthy expectation. You're really going to be disappointed unless we have our best season in over a decade?

It's year 6 of Kill/Claeys. Rising up and winning more than 8 games, which is what they won in year 4, should not be an unhealthy expectation with this schedule.

Although if we lose in the national championship, I would consider the season a rousing success!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I guess I would put MD in the should win category, year one of a new coach, terrible team last year

I would bet you that we will be a Vegas underdog in that road game in late October. ESPN FPI currently has Maryland as a 56% chance to win that game over the Gophers.

The Walrus says only conference wins count.
I would agree and add a win against a top ten non conference team.
Win eight or nine and not win the West or the axe is a failed season for "The best team since we've been here".

The Walrus says only conference wins count.
I would agree and add a win against a top ten non conference team.
Win eight or nine and not win the West or the axe is a failed season for "The best team since we've been here".

Too loose. No non-conference wins should count unless the opponent is top 5.

I'd like to predict 9-10 wins, but reality is that we were close to being a 3 win team last season. Even when most of the starters were healthy, wins over Kent St., Ohio, and Colorado St. came down to basically 1-2 plays.

I'd like to predict 9-10 wins, but reality is that we were close to being a 3 win team last season. Even when most of the starters were healthy, wins over Kent St., Ohio, and Colorado St. came down to basically 1-2 plays.

By this logic, we were close to being an 8-win team.

The number is less important than how they get there

By historical standards, 8 wins is a good season for Gopher Football. If I count correctly, the U of M has had 17 seasons with 8 or more wins - since 1892. That is 124 years. That averages to an 8 win season once every 7.3 years.

Don't want to start an argument here (still recovering from the heart attack!), but if someone feels that 8 wins is a disappointing season for Gopher FB, then you need to re-examine the program's history, and adjust your expectations.

I think this team has the potential to win 8 or 9 games - maybe more- but 1 or 2 key injuries can throw that all out the window.
Eight wins would be fine with me.

I would bet you that we will be a Vegas underdog in that road game in late October. ESPN FPI currently has Maryland as a 56% chance to win that game over the Gophers.
Like being 10 dogs at IU three years ago. I'll take those odds.

Top Bottom