PiPress: Pitino on Buggs in starting lineup: “We’ll stick with it”

Not trying to call out anybody here, but has there ever been a more overvalued 8th or 9th best player on a team that has been talked about on GopherHole (for those that have been on this site longer than I)? Joey King, Carlos Morris, and Elliot Elliason get far too much criticism on this site and Charles Buggs gets far too much praise.

I have seen tons of criticism on pretty much every player, including buggs. I just think if you want you could find any llittle thing to criticize any player, people arent perfect. I have criticized morris, eliason, buggs, king, and Mathieu this year does not mean I don't like them just upset in the moment at something they did but all these players at a given time can do good things.

It also makes good arguments with other posters where maybe they see something that you didn't notice.
It is all in good fun.

Not trying to call out anybody here, but has there ever been a more overvalued 8th or 9th best player on a team that has been talked about on GopherHole (for those that have been on this site longer than I)? Joey King, Carlos Morris, and Elliot Elliason get far too much criticism on this site and Charles Buggs gets far too much praise.

And on buggs being praised too much. Before when he played just minut minutes if at all he was criticized tons.

And on buggs being praised too much. Before when he played just minute minutes if at all he was criticized tons.

I absolutely love what bugs brings to this team.. Something no other play we have on this team. Length with great athletic ability.. That one dribble drive from the top of the and to the rim when he could of jack a wide open 3. His rebounding from the 3 is outstanding and his defense is solid. I want him to start the rest of this season.

I like how I point out that this isn't a Buggs is better than xyz player and all of the quoted responses tear down others to boost up Buggs.... Same team Farva Same TEAM!!!

BGA, which play does Buggs make that no one else makes? I'm not trying to be combative, honestly. Would like to have a serious back and forth with someone about him that doesn't get personal. I'm not trying to attack Buggs, I just see SIGNIFICANT flaws in his game and I'm not seeing some of the same positives some of you are seeing.

Am I seeing improvement from Buggs? Absolutely, he looks better today than he did in the beginning of the season. Does his physical length and leaping ability get me excited about his potential? I'm with ya. Do I think he should be getting 20+ minutes game in and game out? No I don't, but I do think he should continue to get minutes.

Do I think Morris is as bad as you guys are making him out to be today? No, I can pull up a couple threads where many posters were calling him one of our best players from 2 weeks ago. We like to flip flop on him and its all about style. Morris fits the style much better than others on the roster, its just a matter of whether or not we can get the style on the court to match him.

Buggs is quicker to the ball on loose balls and rebounds than maybe anyone else.
I like Pitino but ha ...If you are willing to say publicly you do not trust Buggs...then WHY? would you have him inbounding the ball?
That's the most important spot on an inbounds play! You can't get to the next step if that person doesn't make a good decision.

Me either, but now Buggs is starting. Let's see where it goes. He had intrigue but rarely played before. So, like that backup quarterback he is fan favorite. Joey, EE, and Morris all make valuable contributions to the team. They play significant minutes.
They make significant mistakes...exactly what are we going to talk about on a message board if it isn't how each of us would handle a situation, evaluate a player, and just generally give our "constructive", "insightful" opinions. News focuses totally on the bad things that happen. People watch. There'd be nobody here if all we did is gush about EE's two made free throws without all the pain and anguish of the misses.
Or whatever anybodies flaws. They all do good things certainly but those three guys are very frustrating to watch every game. There are always from a few to several points in every game those 3 are maddening. It's what gets talked about here.

Chip Armelin, although I was an advocate! I suspect that both Chip and Bostick would have had a role in a Pitino offense, however. Bostick is probably the closest thing that we've seen to Carlos lately and my impression was that Bostick was much less careless with the ball

Bugg's

Bugg's was the inbound passer to ensure he wasn't fouled and sent to the line for 1 on 1's.

He had what I thought was a clean pick pocket that allowed three free throw shots for Iowa. Glad he didn't through a tantem like Elliason.

Bugg's can rebound! Better than Morris
Bugg's can hit the three! Better than Morris
Bugg's can drive to the basket! In more control than Morris
Bugg's isn't forcing turnovers! Better than Morris
Bugg's dove for a loose ball last night and got it to Walker More agressive than Morris

Bugg's defense is much improved! Better than Morris

Bugg's is only a Sophomore and Morris is a Junior. Always play the younger player with potential when even.

Morris is a one man show who only plays offense. This is an easy decision for Pitino!

Well, considering we actually lost three games because of King I will say, finally. If he's not on the team we're 8-4/19-6.

Well, considering we actually lost three games because of King I will say, finally. If he's not on the team we're 8-4/19-6.

“We went bigger in the starting lineup,” Pitino said. “We went with Buggs over Carlos (Morris) because I wanted more size.

Nothing to do with King. King with 29 minutes, starting. Second most in the game for the Gophers.

What an absolutely dumb ass comment. You could go back over every close loss and make a case that we lost because of so and so, starting our best player.

What an absolutely dumb ass comment. You could go back over every close loss and make a case that we lost because of so and so, starting our best player.

I agree, Mulligan. nasa35 has displayed time and again that he has achieved epic heretofore unheard of levels of dumbassery. (dpodoll awards)

Bugg's was the inbound passer to ensure he wasn't fouled and sent to the line for 1 on 1's.

He had what I thought was a clean pick pocket that allowed three free throw shots for Iowa. Glad he didn't through a tantem like Elliason.

Bugg's can rebound! Better than Morris
Bugg's can hit the three! Better than Morris
Bugg's dove for a loose ball last night and got it to Walker More agressive than Morris

Bugg's defense is much improved! Better than Morris

Bugg's is only a Sophomore and Morris is a Junior. Always play the younger player with potential when even.

Morris is a one man show who only plays offense. This is an easy decision for Pitino!

I can buy some of what you are saying. Not sure Buggs takes it to the rim on a drive better than Morris though

I think he's a gamer and he'll figure it out. Put on 20lbs next year and he'll be a force.

Key player for next years success.

just started to read this thread so if someone else comments similar to this i apologize

Carlos makes real bad decisions consistently. This is why Pitino has started Buggs. Carlos has shown streaks of good play but far too many stretches where he is out of control and making bad decisions not to mention his defense needs to improve.

I feel he still thinks he is playing in the JC level where he can get away with many of the things he is doing. he needs to learn that this is a team game and that the Big Ten is different than his JC games he played in. put in a little more effort on the defensive side of the game and if he does he has a chance to be a real contributor next season

Still am hopeful that this season can be salvaged, but both Morris and Buggs are really important next season, scary so. A lot of upside with each, and if we have any chance of a respectable season next year, Carlos and Charles are key. Both have what Pitino seems to look for in athletic ability. Now a lot of it is on the coach to harness that ability and eliminate the selfishness, lack of intensity, and just bone-headed plays. Now I'm more confident he'll be successful with Buggs. I had thought Carlos was on the right track also, but a couple of those drives against Iowa has pretty much dissuaded me from that. He makes Chris Humphries look like a larger Steve Nash when it comes to sharing the ball and doing the right thong.

When is the last time Morris gave it up on a fast break ? I am sick of the AAU style of "me first" basketball.

When is the last time Morris gave it up on a fast break ? I am sick of the AAU style of "me first" basketball.

Agreed....while I think morris is good, he has to learn to ssometimes pass on his drives instead of throwing up some kind of playground style shot, which usually kills our momentum. On defense he has to step it up big time, while he is one of the leaders in steals, he takes off alot in d

Bugg's can rebound! Better than Morris Statistically Buggs is not a good rebounder for a guy that is 6'9" but, yes, he is better than Morris
Bugg's can hit the three! Better than Morris Neither one of them is very good this year.

Bugg's defense is much improved! Better than Morris I'd argue it is essentially a wash when you consider Morris is second in the conference in steals per game. Buggs has only 6 steals and 4 blocks all year.

I'm fine with Buggs getting more minutes and Morris getting less. Just don't think the difference between the two is as great as some are making it out to be. I still think Morris can be a good player for us, he just needs to make better decisions.

Bad idea, Coach.

You're honestly so dumb, and the fact that you don't even recognize it (and still believe you know more than others) makes you even more foolish. Sorry, but when it comes to people like you, I don't sugarcoat.

It's nice for Pitino to have another option. Match ups were tough last time they met.

You're honestly so dumb, and the fact that you don't even recognize it (and still believe you know more than others) makes you even more foolish. Sorry, but when it comes to people like you, I don't sugarcoat.

Buggs is no Julian Welch, that's for sure.

Our guys rarely give it up on the fast break, particularly Morris. To his credit though, he almost always finishes or at least gets fouled.

Our guys rarely give it up on the fast break, particularly Morris. To his credit though, he almost always finishes or at least gets fouled.

The key to the fast break is the other guys hustle their asses to the bucket so Morris has the options of dumping it off.

The key to the fast break is the other guys hustle their asses to the bucket so Morris has the options of dumping it off.

Have seen multiple times where we had 2 on 1 or 3 on two with the ball in morris's hands

Top Bottom