PiPress: New rule giving Gophers athletes a little extra

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Briean Boddy-Calhoun couldn't wrap his head around the NCAA's new rule resulting in college athletes across the country being paid for the first time ever to cover more than a traditional scholarship.

It's not just about tuition and fees, books and room and board anymore.

Power Five conferences voted in January on a rule that took effect Aug. 1 allowing Division I schools to cover athletes' cost of attendance, something that could change the college landscape forever.

But Boddy-Calhoun, a returning All-Big Ten senior cornerback for the University of Minnesota, was so focused on Thursday's gargantuan opener against No. 2-ranked Texas Christian he overlooked the fact that he'll be paid extra this year.

"I heard about it, but I'm not 100 percent sure what it all means," he said. "I'm a basic guy. I come out here, play football and get a little bit of money on the side. I really don't look into that too much."

Well, the Gophers, like many other athletic departments in the five major conferences, have been bracing for this change for more than a year.

The U's cost of attendance is distributed to athletes in all 23 sports. But partial scholarship athletes receive COA based on the percentage of the scholarship they receive in relation to the COA number. In-state full-scholarship athletes receive $2,200 and out-of-state full-scholarship athletes get $3,700, according to the university.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_28765992/new-rule-giving-gophers-athletes-little-extra

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom