PiPress: Kevin Dorsey finally living up to the hype

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Kevin Dorsey was by far the most-hyped of the University of Minnesota freshmen entering the season, the crown jewel of coach Richard Pitino’s 2015 recruiting class.

Pitino expected Dorsey, a guard from Maryland, to make an immediate impact, but it took longer than he anticipated.

“We’ve been waiting for him to be the next guy up,” Pitino said.

Dorsey finally had a breakout performance in Saturday’s 74-68 loss at Indiana, scoring a season-high 21 points for the Gophers (6-16, 0-10 Big Ten), who next play Thursday at Northwestern.

“It felt great,” Dorsey said. “The crowd was into it. It was loud. We took the lead. There’s no better place to play than in the Big Ten, I feel. If we keep doing the little things that coach is telling us to, keep the bond we have, then we’ll start pulling (out) these games.”

http://www.twincities.com/2016/02/02/gophers-basketball-kevin-dorsey-finally-living-up-to-the-hype/

Go Gophers!!

"Sophomore point guard Nate Mason and Dorsey played together extensively, joined occasionally by fellow freshman and starter Dupree McBrayer. The talented young trio combined for 50 points, 10 assists, five steals and zero turnovers."

Underrated stat.

"Sophomore point guard Nate Mason and Dorsey played together extensively, joined occasionally by fellow freshman and starter Dupree McBrayer. The talented young trio combined for 50 points, 10 assists, five steals and zero turnovers."

Underrated stat.

You beat me to it. I was going to quote the same thing. That is a terrific stat line for the three of them.

What a terrible headline. "Finally," really? And one game doesn't qualify as living up to the hype. I realize the author doesn't write the headline

I think Dorsey will be our super sub 6th man next year. Mason starts at PG and then McBrayer and Coffey are our lanky wings with PG-like handles. Really fun backcourt to look forward to.

I think Dorsey will be our super sub 6th man next year. Mason starts at PG and then McBrayer and Coffey are our lanky wings with PG-like handles. Really fun backcourt to look forward to.

I dont think there is any way that the transfer Fitz does not start at the SF spot next year. We all get enamored with incoming freshman who have some hype (look at the predictions people had coming in for Dorsey prior to this year). Fitz will be a 21/22 year old full grown man who has allready had what 2 years of college experience, and a year in the gopher system? I just dont see Coffey starting, he will be be a fine addition off the bench at times, but he is a freshman who still needs to physically matrue as well, just not a starter over Fitz.

I dont think there is any way that the transfer Fitz does not start at the SF spot next year. We all get enamored with incoming freshman who have some hype (look at the predictions people had coming in for Dorsey prior to this year). Fitz will be a 21/22 year old full grown man who has allready had what 2 years of college experience, and a year in the gopher system? I just dont see Coffey starting, he will be be a fine addition off the bench at times, but he is a freshman who still needs to physically matrue as well, just not a starter over Fitz.

I think Coffey starts over McBreyer or Fitz. I think will have a heck of a team if Coffey is coming off the bench in Big Ten play. I could see Fitz being an instant offense guy off the bench or we start him, McBreyer and Dorsey could be defensive stoppers, McBreyer with ten more pounds of muscle could become a very good player. We will have four very good players in Mason, Dorsey, Mcbreyer and Coffey for the next couple of seasons. It's crazy to think Buggs will be the only senior next season

If the roster stays as is predicted, it'll be fun to have a debate of who should start for positive reasons for once.

If the roster stays as is predicted, it'll be fun to have a debate of who should start for positive reasons for once.

Agreed, can't remember the last time we could argue about it in a positive manner. 09-10 pre White and Mbakwe issues?

I'm not going to pretend to know anything about Fitz. I'm also not going to believe any practice hype (that goes for Lynch too). I remember when Badger fans were saying George Marshall looked like the best PG in the program's history during his redshirt season. The hype was through the roof. He then stepped on the court and looked terrible, ultimately transferring to South Dakota. I hope Fitz is a stud, but I'm not going to pencil him into our starting line up. Remember, Texas A&M was fine letting him go. Coffey I will give the benefit of the doubt to because he's the best recruit Pitino's ever gotten and seems to be a polished talent.

McBrayer will start next year. Slasher, defends, versatile, has a motor, can handle ball, all traits Pitino likes. If/when he gets a reliable shooting stroke, he'll be a complete package. Like his ceiling most among all the Gopher freshmen.

Barring injury, transfer or grades, the 3 Ms will be starters next year. Just a matter of which other 2 will join them. ... my guess Lynch and Coffey.

I think we'll see this next year:

PG- Mason - Dorsey
SG- Coffey - McBrayer - Gilbert
SF- Fitzgerald- Hurt/Buggs
PF- Murphy- Curry/Buggs
C- Lynch - Konate

I think a lot of guys will get minutes next yr.

That seems reasonable to me. I wonder how the the Coffeys would/will take that though. I heard them mention PG and combo guard quite a bit during the recruitment.

Edit: forgot about Fitz. Next year is going to be so much more fun to watch.

That seems reasonable to me. I wonder how the the Coffeys would/will take that though. I heard them mention PG and combo guard quite a bit during the recruitment. Edit: forgot about Fitz. Next year is going to be so much more fun to watch.

My guess if Coffey was the "3" he'd operate more like a SG. Having bigger guards like Amir allows Pitino to basically have 3 point guards without giving up size. I think as long as Amir isn't playing the 4 he will be happy.

Next year has a lot of intrigue - and a lot of uncertainty as well. I think the 3 locked starters right now are Mason, Murphy, and Lynch. SG and SF are wide open in my mind. I hope Coffey can come in and flourish right away as I think Dupree, who has good upside, is still a few years away from being B10 starter material. Hopefully by his Jr year he has enough size to really compete at the offensive end. On Fitz, I watched him play in the scrimmage am ambivalent about his game - he hung around the perimeter the whole game and took 16' jumpers making few. He seemed timid to me, so I hope Gilbert/Hurt can keep SF position competitive. As mentioned above - all nice problems to have.

He was injured... ankle?

http://www.thedailygopher.com/2015/...-hoops-adds-texas-a-m-transfer-richard-pitino - Should be a starter next season, at min. I expect major contribution.

Not to mention that the whole team didn't know what the hell they were doing in weeks 1 - 10 of the season (source: we got smoked by South Dakota schools). The hope would be Fitz is progressing along with the others in the system and we've been told that physcially/skills wise hes one of the best on the team. cross our fingers.

My guess if Coffey was the "3" he'd operate more like a SG. Having bigger guards like Amir allows Pitino to basically have 3 point guards without giving up size. I think as long as Amir isn't playing the 4 he will be happy.

Yep.

Next year: I'm thinking a 9 or 10 man rotation, with more pressure D.

This year: The guys play much better man-to-man D than zone D.

Next year has a lot of intrigue - and a lot of uncertainty as well. I think the 3 locked starters right now are Mason, Murphy, and Lynch. SG and SF are wide open in my mind. I hope Coffey can come in and flourish right away as I think Dupree, who has good upside, is still a few years away from being B10 starter material. Hopefully by his Jr year he has enough size to really compete at the offensive end. On Fitz, I watched him play in the scrimmage am ambivalent about his game - he hung around the perimeter the whole game and took 16' jumpers making few. He seemed timid to me, so I hope Gilbert/Hurt can keep SF position competitive. As mentioned above - all nice problems to have.

Agree on Fitz, not physical at all and not very active, add to that he did not make much and I was not impressed

I'm thinking a 9 or 10 man rotation, with more pressure D.

The guys play much better man-to-man D than zone D.

I think you're on to something.

People getting caught up in who starts, when who plays significant minutes is far more relevant.

Guys like Fitz might not jump in and be stars, but they don't have to be to be significant contributors/difference makers.

They can just as easily fulfill roles that ease the burden on current plays, thus simplifying things for Konate and Murphy, etc.

I think Coffey starts over McBreyer or Fitz. I think will have a heck of a team if Coffey is coming off the bench in Big Ten play. I could see Fitz being an instant offense guy off the bench or we start him, McBreyer and Dorsey could be defensive stoppers, McBreyer with ten more pounds of muscle could become a very good player. We will have four very good players in Mason, Dorsey, Mcbreyer and Coffey for the next couple of seasons. It's crazy to think Buggs will be the only senior next season

I pretty much agree. I see Fitz as instant offense off the bench.

+1

Yep but having 2 guards 6'6" or taller playing the 2/3 could really make a great defense in certain scenarios.

Yep but having 2 guards 6'6" or taller playing the 2/3 could really make a great defense in certain scenarios.

It's what made Syracuse's 2-3 so leathal, length. But you can make up for length with hustle and basketball smarts, which I think Dorsey has both, not so sure Mason is as effective in that regard.

We could mix up the defense. Run a lineup of

McBrayer
Coffey
Fitz
Murph
Konate/Lynch

That would be a ton of length, you could get even more athletic and a bit less tall if you throw Murph in the center and put Curry out on a wing as well.

Then run a pressure man to man or a 1-2-1-1 zone press when Dorsey and Mason are our guards.

Top Bottom