PiPress: Horton on Gray: for this season he'll remain at WR

Either Weber has a future career in politics after convincing coaches for 4 years that he is a capable Big Ten QB or the the Gopher coaching staff is the largest collection of underwhelming offensive minds in the country.

Or their all blind and miss Weber's weekly subpar performances.

Same story in the Strib. I guess that's the answer to our emails. I remain unconvinced because Gray looked just fine running the offense against Ohio State last year, however brief his appearance.

I don't have a problem with AW starting the game and playing until it is unwinable, but when your down by 20-30 pts. in the 4th Qtr, play somebody else just to get him some work. A little exp. is better than none. Even if you leave Grey at WR and put in Alipate, great, he is already a RSF, let him get some reps. This is just plain STUPID. But you know that the coaches say, "Screw next yr. lets let AW fatten up his stats.".

Horton said Gray gets less than 10% of the reps at QB in practice, so it wouldn't be fair to put him in the game for mop-up duty, because he isn't prepared. Assuming Gray is the backup, is it fair to have him enter the game if Weber gets hurt?

So how do other teams do it? EVERY other team is able to play a back-up as needed. If this is true none of the Offensive coaches should ever coach again.

So short of Weber getting injured, we are going to go 1-11 and neither of our backup QB's is going to get one rep all season? If Weber is your starter then fine, but there is no reason Gray or Moses can't get a series or two somewhere along the line. They aren't THAT fragile, let them learn through experience, get some simple plays for them, install a few thing for Gray to do, it just isn't that hard. He doesn't have to start, but his quote that Gray will be a successful QB next year is not very reassuring. I am glad Horton feels that way, but based on what?

Top Bottom