PiPress: Gophers football commentary: Fading U might not win two more

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

With a 4-0 nonconference record and a burgeoning identity as a quarterback-driven running team, the Gophers appeared on the cusp of a step forward as they entered Big Ten Conference play last month. Two bad losses changed that outlook in a hurry.

After losing to Iowa and Michigan by a combined score of 65-20, and staring down a game at No. 19 Northwestern on Saturday, Minnesota looks more likely to fall short of last season's 6-6 record, which included a 34-31 to Texas Tech in the Meineke Car Care Bowl.

In fact, a cursory look at the remaining schedule suggests Minnesota (4-2) might do well to win even two more games this season.

Even the most favorable matchups, home games against Indiana and Penn State, are at best tossups.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_24298000/gophers-football-commentary-fading-u-might-not-win

Go Gophers!!

Solid reporting as always Marcus. Must have been tough to actually look at a schedule.

You know, I'm not one of those "all journalists suck" people, but how *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ing hard can it be to check the schedule and see that Indiana is at Indiana?

The thing is, the title calls it "Fading U..." But the team isn't fading. It wasn't any worse in the Michigan blowout than it was in the UNLV win to begin the season; the only difference was the strength of the opponent and the disappearance of special/fluke plays by the special teams and D (likely due to the improved competition).

That said, it'd have been nice to see some improvement in the team and coaching since the season's first week.

P.S. Isn't that Indiana game away? "Journalism" these days sure is shi++y.

You know, I'm not one of those "all journalists suck" people, but how *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ing hard can it be to check the schedule and see that Indiana is at Indiana?

No kidding, but wish that Marcus was right. The Gophers are, get this, 2-16 in their last 18 games in Indiana. :banghead::banghead:

He pays no attention to Leidner's better passing record and his ability to make things happen. Kill should stay away until he's stabilized and can risk the stress. Indiana will be tough at their home, as will Michigan State at theirs. Unless all Nebraska QBs eat bad chili for breakfast, that looks unlikely as a win; Penn State is improving; and Wisconsin gets better and better. 1-7 at best, though I'd love 2-6.

He pays no attention to Leidner's better passing record and his ability to make things happen. Kill should stay away until he's stabilized and can risk the stress. Indiana will be tough at their home, as will Michigan State at theirs. Unless all Nebraska QBs eat bad chili for breakfast, that looks unlikely as a win; Penn State is improving; and Wisconsin gets better and better. 1-7 at best, though I'd love 2-6.

Penn State beats Michigan, Wisky is looking imposing, MSU is tough, and Neb. has really improved. ironically, Northwestern may be our only hope for a win. But Kill deserves 5 years and even without him, we have Claeys, who will be a bartender is he gets fired.

We beat Illinois and Purdue last year. They arn't on the schedule this year. Kill's third year will end at
4-8. The football program as it stands right now has taken 1 step backwards. Year 4 will be very important for this program. A strong recruiting class this year is a necessity. A healthy Kill has to be on the field next year to get this program back on track.

They might not win two more games. Or they might. We could play the season and find out, I know that's a radical idea.

I have meet Marcus many times weird guy...bad journalist, this article is a great example.

Right there with you on this one. Journalists have a tough job coming up with new content all the time but if your job is to cover the team knowing the schedule would be a bare minimum requirement. Not like that is top secret info you have to dig in order to find.

Top Bottom