PiPress: Gophers football: AD plans to lessen Jerry Kill's load after latest seizure

BleedGopher

Reaction score
"The way that I look at it is that this is just an evolving medical issue for him -- one in which he is going to continue to pursue opinions on how to manage it," Teague told the Pioneer Press. "I think there's certainly a lot of hope that the management part will get a lot better as time goes on. You have to find a way to manage it from a medicine standpoint and just a lifestyle standpoint. He's going to have time in the offseason to do that. I'm confident we're going to make some big-time progress.

"I'm definitely concerned about (Kill's) health and him getting better. Is there turmoil on the team because of this? Absolutely not. Is there doubt now about him moving forward? Absolutely not. It's just a matter, for me, about him looking deeper into it. One thing about Jerry, he likes to tackle everything himself. We have to do a better job here of managing around him. As an AD, our relationship is great. But I have to do a better job of
helping him. I can take some things off his plate that other coaches can do. But Jerry is a fighter. He doesn't want to let things go."

http://www.twincities.com/gophers/ci_22070179/gophers-football-ad-plans-lessen-jerry-kills-load

Go Gophers!!

so our ad is concerned that kill can't handle the scope of his previous workload but some on gh don't think its an issue?

STrib: Gophers AD: Kill's seizures manageable for program

"If [Kill's epilepsy] was something that there was no hope of managing, that would concern me," Teague said. "But there's not just hope, there's [a record] of doing so."

"So much of what you strive for in recruiting is relationships. When you get [Kill] in the room with a recruit, [he is able to] quell any anxieties," said Teague, who cited Kill's "tremendous progress in getting us to 6-6, to a bowl game, and to a 3.0 grade-point average" as evidence that epilepsy is having little effect on the coach's effectiveness. "People talk about recruiting, but kids operate from a different framework of understanding. I'm not sure how much it matters to them."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/180929051.html

Go Gophers!!

so our ad is concerned that kill can't handle the scope of his previous workload but some on gh don't think its an issue?

Not an issue at all. He should be recruiting and working with his team like every other coach in America.

A lot of the promotional stuff can be taken away from him, as well as some of the logistical (travel itinerary) stuff as well. Instead of him having to worry about these things, they can be put under Dan O'Brien or other members of the AD staff easy.

Little things can be taken away so Coach can focus on the important things.

Not an issue at all. He should be recruiting and working with his team like every other coach in America.

A lot of the promotional stuff can be taken away from him, as well as some of the logistical (travel itinerary) stuff as well. Instead of him having to worry about these things, they can be put under Dan O'Brien or other members of the AD staff easy.

Little things can be taken away so Coach can focus on the important things.

The fact that the AD has to address it at all means it is an issue. Taking responsibilities away from a head football coach means it is an issue. It is not something that is going to lead to Kill's termination obviously but there is a definite issue there to deal with. On top of which if there was a better medical solution seems like they would have identified it already considering it isn't like this just cropped up this year. Kill has been dealing with it for years and our medical staff has been working on it since the first time he had one last year.

IF and this is a big IF his condition is getting worse, Jerry Kill needs to take a hard look at his priorities and decide if coaching BCS level football is worth it. The decision will ultimately fall on Kill and his family, I just hope he is honest with himself in terms of evaluating the effect the job is having on his overall health. We all want to see the Kill succeed here because it is the best thing for our favorite program but when the coach is missing from the sideline or key functions due to health concerns it is an big deal.

The fact that the AD has to address it at all means it is an issue. Taking responsibilities away from a head football coach means it is an issue. It is not something that is going to lead to Kill's termination obviously but there is a definite issue there to deal with. On top of which if there was a better medical solution seems like they would have identified it already considering it isn't like this just cropped up this year. Kill has been dealing with it for years and our medical staff has been working on it since the first time he had one last year.

IF and this is a big IF his condition is getting worse, Jerry Kill needs to take a hard look at his priorities and decide if coaching BCS level football is worth it. The decision will ultimately fall on Kill and his family, I just hope he is honest with himself in terms of evaluating the effect the job is having on his overall health. We all want to see the Kill succeed here because it is the best thing for our favorite program but when the coach is missing from the sideline or key functions due to health concerns it is an big deal.

+1. This IS a big deal and of great concern going forward.

Did anybody else read this in the article?

Marian Central Catholic quarterback Chris Streveler, who was named first-team all-state in Illinois, said Wisconsin and Pittsburgh (Chryst) were among the schools trying to get him to renege on his commitment to Kill. But even after Kill's most recent seizure, Streveler isn't interested in taking their calls.

"I hope coach is doing well; it's only concerning in that matter," Streveler said Monday. "It's not concerning in the matter where I would be worried about (the program) and decommit or anything like that. When I've been up there on my visits, he's brought (his seizure disorder) up. He's been very open about it. I really respect that about him. It is what it is. And it's just something that happens."

I'm afraid I have to agree.

When learning of his latest incident(Sat), I found myself for the first time thinking this really is becoming an issue/problem.

Top Bottom