Pioneer Press: With coach out, two UMN regents turn attention to Kaler, Coyle

So, on the day Clayes was fired there was a post on here that said the regents voted 10-2 to keep Clayes. I just assumed that post was bogus and the poster was trolling. This thread now makes me wonder if that was true. Has it been acknowledged publicly by anyone that the regents voted to keep Clayes??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The GopherHoler that started the thread got the info from a Tweet by Ken Burns and was passing it along as a courtesy for all.
I never saw anything later confirming it.

I've said for weeks that Coyle and Kaler are on hot seats. Some here strongly questioned that observation. Johnson, Hsu, and Rosha are smart guys.

As I said before, they left the outcome of the situation to those who truly should be responsible for it, but also clearly sent both Coyle and Kaler pretty clear signals as to where they stood.

As we are beginning to see, those two climbed out on a pretty thin limb.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I think that's fair. But when he (Kaler) failed to lead (his actions - suspending players and firing Claeys aren't the issue to me) Failed to communicate, and publicly branded 10 kids as rapists without allowing the process to play out he demonstrated he needed to go. The checks the U writes, particular to the two young men who were reportedly not involved, will be his legacy.

If he truly was acting in the best interest of the U he would have implemented the year long suspensions before the players were reinstated in season. He would have work with Claeys and Coyle to handle how the suspensions were communicated, and he would have then be seen as a leader, not a simpering idiot who is trying to cover his own ass and costing the U in terms of reputation and money.

I've said for weeks that Coyle and Kaler are on hot seats. Some here strongly questioned that observation. Johnson, Hsu, and Rosha are smart guys.

As I said before, they left the outcome of the situation to those who truly should be responsible for it, but also clearly sent both Coyle and Kaler pretty clear signals as to where they stood.

If they were in danger they wouldn't have been allowed to fire Claeys and be out looking for a new coach. Coyle is in no danger of being fired. Kaler's seat might be a little warmer but it's still unlikely he's going anywhere.

If they were in danger they wouldn't have been allowed to fire Claeys and be out looking for a new coach. Coyle is in no danger of being fired. Kaler's seat might be a little warmer but it's still unlikely he's going anywhere.

Alternately they were told to "fix it NOW" that way the regents can blame them ....

They could still be dissatisfied, but they're not gonna hitch their regent wagon to TC either.

You don't get it, that is exactly why. It's business and politics 101. The BoR "snapped the line" on both of them. Clock is ticking.

Where are you getting this "Johnson is a smart guy" idea? He embarrassed the hell out of our alumni all over local media yesterday. The guy is neither an alumnus of or donor to the University. I have no idea how he got in his current position.

You don't get it, that is exactly why. It's business and politics 101. The BoR "snapped the line" on both of them. Clock is ticking.

This has been your 'story' the whole time. Claeys won't be fired because he has 3 of 12 supporters on the BoR. Kaler and Coyle are in more trouble. Yeah the line has been snapped. Claeys is gone and Coyle is looking for a new coach. The clock is always ticking and will still be ticking 3 years from now when Coyle is still here and we are judging his new hire. You're the one who doesn't get it.

Kaler's seat might be a little hot now, at least warm. Coyle isn't going anywhere. He's 7 months into a 5 yr contract. The BOR isn't going to undermine themselves by firing him and paying off the big contract they gave him while telling everyone that they should have more oversight on major contracts. If Coyle gets a new boss he might need to worry a little, but that would be at least a year down the road.

Where are you getting this "Johnson is a smart guy" idea? He embarrassed the hell out of our alumni all over local media yesterday. The guy is neither an alumnus of or donor to the University. I have no idea how he got in his current position.

No, Coyle and Kaler have done that...everything Johnson has said publicly, along with the other two regents, are meant for C&K's ears as much as the public's. What should they be doing? Being Silent? Blindly supporting these two publicly?

I just find it funny how many posters were wondering where the BoR was in all this...that they were weak...and probably a rubber stamp for Kaler. I actually find it refreshing that these three have the guts to be out in the public discussion on this.

Kaler's seat might be a little hot now, at least warm. Coyle isn't going anywhere. He's 7 months into a 5 yr contract. The BOR isn't going to undermine themselves by firing him and paying off the big contract they gave him while telling everyone that they should have more oversight on major contracts. If Coyle gets a new boss he might need to worry a little, but that would be at least a year down the road.

No they won't. Pretty sure the investigation they are talking about will do him in...and show cause for many missteps and a demonstrable loss in his ability to lead as AD. Same for Kaler. I'm just very surprised many posters can't see this, it's exactly how it works in business and politics with situations like this one.

No, Coyle and Kaler have done that...everything Johnson has said publicly, along with the other two regents, are meant for C&K's ears as much as the public's. What should they be doing? Being Silent? Blindly supporting these two publicly?

I just find it funny how many posters were wondering where the BoR was in all this...that they were weak...and probably a rubber stamp for Kaler. I actually find it refreshing that these three have the guts to be out in the public discussion on this.

You're talking about the guy who named dropped Sumlin yesterday. He has no idea what he's doing. If you want regents that challenge our leadership then he is not the guy.

No they won't. Pretty sure the investigation they are talking about will do him in...and show cause for many missteps and a demonstrable loss in his ability to lead as AD. Same for Kaler. I'm just very surprised many posters can't see this, it's exactly how it works in business and politics with situations like this one.

What? To fire him with cause they are going to have to find that he lied about something big, committed a NCAA violation, or was drinking on the job. Ironically, he could also be fired for not keeping the department in compliance with Title IX. There's not going to be anything there. They can't fire him for making a decision that they disagree with, at least they can't fire him with cause.

You're talking about the guy who named dropped Sumlin yesterday. He has no idea what he's doing. If you want regents that challenge our leadership then he is not the guy.

Really? He absolutely did it on purpose. Told Kaler, Coyle publicly they need to knock it out of the park. The pressure is on them.

Look a little into Sumlin's situation and it makes a lot of sense to go after him, for many reasons.

Really? He absolutely did it on purpose. Told Kaler, Coyle publicly they need to knock it out of the park. The pressure is on them.

Look a little into Sumlin's situation and it makes a lot of sense to go after him, for many reasons.

Yeah, that wasn't what he was trying to do. Listen to the interview, don't read the quotes. Immediately after doing that he went on a bumbling rant about binge drinking. Not joking.

Dean Johnson dropped Kevin Sumlin's name to publicly put pressure on the Kaler and Coyle on what they need to do with the coaching hire. That is quite the theory.

I'm an alumni of the University and he didn't embarrass one bit yesterday. I know he had an agenda making himself so available yesterday, but I appreciated hearing from him on this mess.

As to your no idea how he got his current position, I can help you out on that. He was elected to the board by the state legislature as one of the four at-large members. I assume he was then elected chairman of the board of regents by the regents themselves. He's the pastor of a large Lutheran church in Willmar for many years. He has served in both houses of the Minnesota legislature and has been both minority and majority leader of the senate. And he is a brigadier general in the Minnesota National Guard. Assume you have to be pretty smart to do all this, but, anyway, probably not a fool.

Please excuse me if you actually have accomplished more in your life, but it's amazing how on GH some people are so quick to be disdainful of someone who has actually done something. Johnson knew exactly what he was doing even if a few people are too dumb to see it.

I'm an alumni of the University and he didn't embarrass one bit yesterday. I know he had an agenda making himself so available yesterday, but I appreciated hearing from him on this mess.

As to your no idea how he got his current position, I can help you out on that. He was elected to the board by the state legislature as one of the four at-large members. I assume he was then elected chairman of the board of regents by the regents themselves. He's the pastor of a large Lutheran church in Willmar for many years. He has served in both houses of the Minnesota legislature and has been both minority and majority leader of the senate. And he is a brigadier general in the Minnesota National Guard. Assume you have to be pretty smart to do all this, but, anyway, probably not a fool.

Please excuse me if you actually have accomplished more in your life, but it's amazing how on GH some people are so quick to be disdainful of someone who has actually done something. Johnson knew exactly what he was doing even if a few people are too dumb to see it.

And none of his experience is applicable to being the chairman of one of the nation's largest public University systems. He has the educational background of a '60s hippie.

Good post. Plus, I have no idea why this person thinks that being an alumnus and a donor to the University are prerequisites for being on the Board of Regents.

I agree, Mulligan...I thought he handled the interview quite well and enjoyed the listen.

And none of his experience is applicable to being the chairman of one of the nation's largest public University systems. He has the educational background of a '60s hippie.

Wow, how completely clueless. You just showed your educational level and maturity.

He graduated from an unranked University and doesn't have an advanced degree. He shouldn't have any say in running a University to which I donate not insignificant amounts of my net income.

He graduated from an unranked University and doesn't have an advanced degree. He shouldn't have any say in running a University to which I donate not insignificant amounts of my net income.

Again, showing your stupidity. Maybe do an ounce of research...clown.

Johnson holds a Bachelor of Arts degree from Luther College, a Master of Divinity from Luther Seminary, and a Master of Strategic Studies from the U.S. Army War College. He is a chaplain holding a general's rank in the National Guard. In 2007, he was selected as a Regent of the University of Minnesota. He was re-elected in 2013.

How do u know he's not a donor?

Top Bottom