Pioneer Press: With coach out, two UMN regents turn attention to Kaler, Coyle

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Verges:

Hsu said he didn’t know enough about Coyle’s stated reasons, which included recruiting challenges and poor ticket sales, to say whether he agreed with the move. But he said it seemed that Coyle was eager to make a coaching change and that the sexual assault allegations — and Claeys’ support of the boycotting players — gave him the opportunity.

Hsu said he is concerned the U can’t afford the roughly $5 million it will take to buy out Claeys and his staff. He wants to see a financial plan detailing how the athletics department will make up for those costs.

“I didn’t think he had the money to do it. I didn’t think he would do it with a nine-win coach with a low buyout. He could have easily waited a year,” Hsu said.

“The question is, where is the money going to come from? Because this is a major expense.”

Rosha said that beyond the decision to remove Claeys, regents must examine how Coyle and Kaler have handled athletics matters even before the alleged sexual assault. That includes oversight of recruiting operations and player conduct, he said.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/01/0...ocial&utm_source=Twitter#link_time=1483588599

Go Gophers!!

per Verges:

Hsu said he didn’t know enough about Coyle’s stated reasons, which included recruiting challenges and poor ticket sales, to say whether he agreed with the move. But he said it seemed that Coyle was eager to make a coaching change and that the sexual assault allegations — and Claeys’ support of the boycotting players — gave him the opportunity.

Hsu said he is concerned the U can’t afford the roughly $5 million it will take to buy out Claeys and his staff. He wants to see a financial plan detailing how the athletics department will make up for those costs.

“I didn’t think he had the money to do it. I didn’t think he would do it with a nine-win coach with a low buyout. He could have easily waited a year,” Hsu said.

“The question is, where is the money going to come from? Because this is a major expense.”

Rosha said that beyond the decision to remove Claeys, regents must examine how Coyle and Kaler have handled athletics matters even before the alleged sexual assault. That includes oversight of recruiting operations and player conduct, he said.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/01/0...ocial&utm_source=Twitter#link_time=1483588599

Go Gophers!!

Kaler won't be president much longer.

Kaler won't be president much longer.

That had better be the case. Kaler did more to damage the University in this situation than Claeys. Once Kaler's gone. Coyle's next. We need leadership in the administration, not simpering spineless liars who lack integrity.

That had better be the case. Kaler did more to damage the University in this situation than Claeys. Once Kaler's gone. Coyle's next. We need leadership in the administration, not simpering spineless liars who lack integrity.

Kaler is craven and a liar. He has zero integrity.

He helped cover up the Dan Markinson fiasco and continues to drag his feet on that issue, he completely screwed up and lied about this football fiasco, he hired Coyle and Teague who are both losers for different reasons, and he kowtows to anti-free speech zealots.

I'd fire him ASAP.

Dean Johnson mentioned that Eric Kaler was already the fourth longest tenured Big 10 president at four years. The scandal probably just speeds up the inevitable and Kaler goes back to the east coast.

Kaler is craven and a liar. He has zero integrity.

He helped cover up the Dan Markinson fiasco and continues to drag his feet on that issue, he completely screwed up and lied about this football fiasco, he hired Coyle and Teague who are both losers for different reasons, and he kowtows to anti-free speech zealots.

I'd fire him ASAP.

I agree...what was the Markinson fiasco? I'm not familiar with that situation. Kaler couldn't run a Starbucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gov. Arne Carlson, who is a very loose cannon, that I admired or years. has been on a crusade to do in Kaler for years. His issues were related to the Medical School, but it looks like there are some common issues.

Kaler will be going down soon. Coyle may get taken out in the wash.

I don't like Kaler personally but he has done wonders for both the engineering and business programs at the U so I would be inclined not to touch him.
I just wish he focused on academics instead of this circus.

This is interesting. I know Michael Hsu, and he is a hell of a guy. Good chance I see him this weekend. Sadly, I would not repeat a word he says to me about this situation.

Great you know Mikey Hsu. I know 100 guys that think and act like Rev. Dean Johnson of Wilmar. (what a steaming load of BS today on KFAN, yes those 20 year olds need to stop drinking and seeking sex, and we will all be OK) At the end of the day , it all means squat, just like your post about what a "hell of a guy M. Hsu is.

If he was so great, he probably should have prevented this train wreck.

I don't like Kaler personally but he has done wonders for both the engineering and business programs at the U so I would be inclined not to touch him.
I just wish he focused on academics instead of this circus.

Just wondering if you might be willing to provide some details/specifics on what Kaler has done for the engineering and business programs at the U? It would be great to hear about some successes, particularly when he has stumbled from one athletics crisis to another.

While I don't necessarily value university rankings, the U hasn't moved up in any of the U.S. or world rankings during Kaler's tenure.

Thanks in advance!

I sad the minute this broke only way 90% of the people back is they have to clean house looks like this will happen in May!

I'm not sure what Kaler's contract looks like, but it would not surprise me if he were looking for a new job sometime in the next 12 months. I think Coyle is, and should be, safe for now. But if he gets a new boss you never know what could happen.

Look into all you want Hsu and Rosha. It all comes down to if Coyle gets Fleck. The comments from Hsu seem clueless and out of touch. I guess these guys are for sex trains, boycotts, and the Head Coach supporting player boycotts and sending out completely stupid tweets.

The regents going to the press is the emblematic of the problem we seem to have in Minnesota that, at least to my knowledge, is very rare in other states. We have regents seeking out the press to air their grievances instead of doing what the Board of Regents should do, which is run the university and work within the confines of the system to run the University the way it should be run.

College Presidents come and go (as do Athletic Directors and Head Coaches), but I think the thing we need right now, regardless of how anyone feels about any particular party in this mess, is stability. Fire Kaler and Coyle after they bring in a new Head Coach and we're back to the whole "we need 'our guy'" cycle and its another decade of fumbling about.

As for Arne, he should just shut his pie hole and collect his considerable public pension.

The regents going to the press is the emblematic of the problem we seem to have in Minnesota that, at least to my knowledge, is very rare in other states. We have regents seeking out the press to air their grievances instead of doing what the Board of Regents should do, which is run the university and work within the confines of the system to run the University the way it should be run.

College Presidents come and go (as do Athletic Directors and Head Coaches), but I think the thing we need right now, regardless of how anyone feels about any particular party in this mess, is stability. Fire Kaler and Coyle after they bring in a new Head Coach and we're back to the whole "we need 'our guy'" cycle and its another decade of fumbling about.

As for Arne, he should just shut his pie hole and collect his considerable public pension.

My thoughts exactly with the "our guy" cycle. Worried about how much that will keep Coyle from getting who he wants. In some ways a tempting job, but then again, "Who'll be my boss a year from now?"

Look into all you want Hsu and Rosha. It all comes down to if Coyle gets Fleck. The comments from Hsu seem clueless and out of touch. I guess these guys are for sex trains, boycotts, and the Head Coach supporting player boycotts and sending out completely stupid tweets.

Or they are against circumventing due process, publicly branding students as rapists when at least two of them were not involved at all. Your take is particularly one sided. If you notice flaws in the system and look to address them you shouldn't be considered a part of the problem - unless that's you Mrs Kaler trying to cover your husbands ass.

I dare say no one is for sexual assault, but in this case two wrongs don't make a right.

They are the only administrators that talked to the players and are generally credited with helping to end the boycott (that Kaler almost single handedly restarted the same morning with his ignorant, arrogant, lying) are these two regents.

There is more to this story and the financial impact to the "U" is going to end up being significantly higher than any coaches salaries given how the admin chose to handle this.

If your position is that any and all actions by the football team is wrong, I can see how you got to where you are on these two people.

If you can see and accept that there is right and wrong throughout this situation and that blanket blame is both inaccurate and shameful to everyone involved, the situation is pretty clear.

There are no winners in all of this but there is plenty of blame and shame to go around. some would have us think if it wasn't for Tracy Claeys, none of this would have happened and that is pure unadulterated bull.

Tracy made a few mistakes in this that we know of and maybe more, but he did not have the stature, standing, or pull within the school to be the sole proprietor of this ****storm and I for one am glad that at least someone is looking at the leadership of the school and realizing they made this worse by how they chose to handle this situation and need to be held accountable for their actions as well.

Kaler may have done some good things for the school but his and Coyle's total failure of leadership in this case is cause for dismissal. Their worst offense is Not a failure to tow the company line.

This all could have ended the same way it has without the damage both financial and reputational that Kaler and Coyle have done to the school.

Tracy Claeys got what he knew was coming when he sided with the kids in the team that were not a part or party to the events on 9/2 and while he's clearly bitter, it has more to do with Coyle's public attempt to discredit him rather than fire him and move forward. Coyle move there may end up costing the University even more money. It was unnecessary, petty, and stupid and the links to Mr Claeys spurious at best and if you don't recognize that, may God bless you.

Just wondering if you might be willing to provide some details/specifics on what Kaler has done for the engineering and business programs at the U? It would be great to hear about some successes, particularly when he has stumbled from one athletics crisis to another.

While I don't necessarily value university rankings, the U hasn't moved up in any of the U.S. or world rankings during Kaler's tenure.

Thanks in advance!

sure sure!
Carlson's undergrad ranking has gone from mid-60s to 15 over the last three years.
The engineering program is sitting around 24 right now (it was in the 30s).

The overall ranking for the University hasn't gone up, you're correct.
But the rankings for the two of our most competitive programs (and, frankly, most the most important programs for our state) have.

sure sure!
Carlson's undergrad ranking has gone from mid-60s to 15 over the last three years.
The engineering program is sitting around 24 right now (it was in the 30s).

The overall ranking for the University hasn't gone up, you're correct.
But the rankings for the two of our most competitive programs (and, frankly, most the most important programs for our state) have.

That's nice, but I think he was asking for specifics of what Kaler did to make that happen as you implied.

That's nice, but I think he was asking for specifics of what Kaler did to make that happen as you implied.

In Carlson's case forced out the old under-performing dean and brought in someone that is absolutely slaying it in terms of alumni engagement, recruiting, etc.

In the engineering schools case, completely rebranded and invested a ton of money in new facilities to attract top talent.

He's doing the right things in terms of undergraduate programs. His performance with the medical school and athletic department have been more negative.

I would be inclined to keep him for awhile, but I can see the argument against it.

In Carlson's case forced out the old under-performing dean and brought in someone that is absolutely slaying it in terms of alumni engagement, recruiting, etc.

In the engineering schools case, completely rebranded and invested a ton of money in new facilities to attract top talent.

He's doing the right things in terms of undergraduate programs. His performance with the medical school and athletic department have been more negative.

I would be inclined to keep him for awhile, but I can see the argument against it.

With the caveat that if he manages to guide the U through this situation without tanking our football team, then there is no doubt in my mind that we should keep him. It would take a miracle though.

Yes, we are all in favor of rape.

You dbag troll scum.

Drives me nuts with public officials make public, questions that should be asked to the employee. If $$ is an issue and you wonder where is will come from, ask the AD. If you don't like the answer, then maybe it's an issue. Don't air questions to the media without already having asked for an answer. You should already have the answer by the time you get to the media.

With the caveat that if he manages to guide the U through this situation without tanking our football team, then there is no doubt in my mind that we should keep him. It would take a miracle though.

Unfortunately, I think he opened up the U to quite a bit of liability with this mess. I don't think it really matters how the football team does in the future. His inability to manage this situation is going to cost the University. Now, I am not saying that he shouldn't have given the suspensions and I can see why he felt he needed to fire Claeys. Right when the EoAA got involved, I knew it was going to be a tough situation for Kaler. However, I think he handled it poorly and more importantly, I think the U is going to be paying for it.

Some regents talk more than others, have different agendas.

It's really hard what to think that they ALL think. I suspect they take their marching orders from their parties a bit.... would like to know what they all think.

Drives me nuts with public officials make public, questions that should be asked to the employee. If $$ is an issue and you wonder where is will come from, ask the AD. If you don't like the answer, then maybe it's an issue. Don't air questions to the media without already having asked for an answer. You should already have the answer by the time you get to the media.

Unfortunately, that hasn't been the Board of Regents' way for the past couple of decades. The media puts the cheese in the trap and the mice come running. And it's not just athletics. Go back to the Jean Keffeler tenure fight in the mid-1990s to witness a real doozy.

So, on the day Clayes was fired there was a post on here that said the regents voted 10-2 to keep Clayes. I just assumed that post was bogus and the poster was trolling. This thread now makes me wonder if that was true. Has it been acknowledged publicly by anyone that the regents voted to keep Clayes??

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Important thing to do now is get Kaler and Coyle a 5 year contract extension with a large buyout so that the next coach we hire will know that they are locked in and won't have to worry about leadership changes in the near future. :)

Top Bottom