Pioneer Press: Q&A with Mark Coyle

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score

Andy Greder poses a number of questions to Coyle; one regarding Lindsay Whalen:

Lindsay Whalen is going into her fourth year as women’s basketball coach. She has an sub-.500 record in the Big Ten. What do you need to see from her program?

What I love about Lindsay — and I’ve said this many, many times — she is the most competitive person I’ve ever been around in anything. Just the most competitive person. It doesn’t matter if you are playing golf with her, whatever you are doing. I absolutely love that about her. … I’ve been around programs that you make short-term decisions and you have short-term gains. But if you make the best long-term decision, you start to have long-term gains. If you look at her recruiting, our class coming in is phenomenal. She is putting together the pieces of the puzzle that I like. She is bringing in the right type of student-athletes who represent our program the right way, and I have great confidence in her and will continue to support her in any way I can to build this the right way.

Last edited:

If the 2022 class doesn’t pan out, then I would be hesitant. That class really excites me, best recurring class in Gophers history. Let’s see how they do.

Top Bottom