Pioneer Press Negative Coverage

Ole

Reaction score
Really?!
2 articles on signing day related material on the front page of the website.
Gopher football loses cornerback to Iowa

and

Snubbed gophers recruit" They weren't that good anyway" from Dominic Twitty

Nice job Press, geez

What a joke. The Iowa thing isn't even true (he's going to a CC in Iowa), and has been known as such for at least an hour. Nice job doing your homework, PiPress.

funny how the Signing Day Live with the positive news that is also on their front page is overlooked

Rabe also went to Ellsworth CC

Clearly Kill and the staff have a relationship with Ellsworth CC. Rabe came from there last year. There was some question about Moss' grades so I assume Kill is "parking" him there to get is grades up and then he can transfer back to the U

By the way, Ellsworth CC is closer to the U than Iowa City. It is only about 3 hours south.

By the way, Ellsworth CC is closer to the U than Iowa City. It is only about 3 hours south.

Iowa Falls (where Ellsworth is located) is 186 miles from Minneapolis. It is 134 miles from Iowa City.

Yes, and about 2.5 hours from IC

Iowa Falls (where Ellsworth is located) is 186 miles from Minneapolis. It is 134 miles from Iowa City.
True, but the trip from Minneapolis would be made by automobile, whereas the trip from Iowa Falls to Iowa City would likely be made by covered wagon.

yea, I wouldn't want to someone considered to work at the PP. the horror of it all :eek:

Star Tribune took the Moss story and ran with it as well. On the front page, where they have the scrolling top stories with pictures, there's a big pic of McDonald with the headline: Hopkins' McDonald signs; Florida recruit dumps U for Iowa.

If you click on the story, the text about Moss has been removed, but they never bothered to fix the headline.

Clever re-do of the headline: "Gophers football loses recruit to (somewhere in) Iowa"

So do you mean to tell me the 10 subscribers to the PP will have been misinformed about Gopher football?

Now add "Jerry kill needed his wife to chaperone him on recruiting visits"

Seriously? Front page now contains all three negative articles, and nothing else on signing day.
Brian Murphy must be a hawkeye slug or badger puke.

This cannot simply be an oversight out of all the positive spins possible today 3 non stories with headlines to spin in a poor light.

Am I just thin skinned?

Usually I'm totally not in the "the media's out to get the Gophers" line of thinking. But it is hard to ignore the fact that the first two stories see on the Sports tab are on how we lost a recruit to Iowa and how Kill needs his wife to drive him. To me, it isn't even that it's negative, it's that those aren't even remotely the biggest stories from today's events, but yet, it's first thing you see when you go there. I guess I just don't get the point of highlighting those two stories when they aren't even that important honestly.

I mean at least they could put a headline: "Gophers recruiting ranks dead last in Big Ten". That's something truly newsworthy to note, and would be accurate, according to at least Scout.

There was also an article on a recruit who had his offer pulled in December. He wound up signing with New Mexico. I don't recall that he ever committed to Minnesota. An offer is just an offer. If you don't accept it, it might not still be on the table.

There was also an article on a recruit who had his offer pulled in December. He wound up signing with New Mexico. I don't recall that he ever committed to Minnesota. An offer is just an offer. If you don't accept it, it might not still be on the table.

Dominic Twitty, and he had committed, which is probably why he was bitter.

Really?!
2 articles on signing day related material on the front page of the website.
Gopher football loses cornerback to Iowa

and

Snubbed gophers recruit" They weren't that good anyway" from Dominic Twitty

Nice job Press, geez

Way to burn bridges, You Twit. Dominic Twitty has just drastically reduced his chances of being hired by any Minnesota business, or by any business that has a U of MN grad in any hiring position for the rest of his life.

The dummazz.

Dominic Twitty, and he had committed, which is probably why he was bitter.
He says that the Gophers "weren't that good anyway"? While that is true, he is putting down a Big 10 team that won three games while accepting a scholarship offer to a WAC team that went 1-11. Sour grapes from Mr. Twitty. Goodbye, Darlin'.

I find this headline a bit condescending:

Gophers football coach Jerry Kill needed his wife to chaperone him on recruiting visits

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_19870338

Go Gophers!!

Yeah.. I guess it's 'newsworthy' that Rebecca Kill was playing chauffeur for Coach due to his seizures.. But I agree, the editor could have certainly used a different headline.

Top Bottom