Picture of Badgers shot as shot clock expired - did he get it off?

Because that is the way most scoreboard clocks work. The number representing full seconds drops as soon as the time is under it. Watch a gametime clock when it passes the one minute mark. It goes from 1:00 to 59.9, so the digits representing the seconds show 59 even though there is more than 59 left. If you take away the decimal, it reads 59 from 59.9-59.0. Then, at 0, it reads 0 from .9 to .1.

Yeah, you're right, just like the play clocks in football. After the clock reads 0, the refs wait 1 full second, and then call the delay of game. My bad.

Why are the Gophers always the ones on the wrong end of extremely stupid rules? Earlier in the same game they didn't get an arrow switch for possession because of some foul on the out of bounds play; how did that make any sense? How about the fumble-forward that Nebraska was awarded a first down on last year on the batted ball?

That's a weird one too. One has nothing to do with the other.

Make your free throws, win and go home. Then you don't have to worry about home cooking. Shooting over 30% from the field would help too. Well, at least we get to play Nebraska next.

I was at the game under that basket. The shot clock buzzer definitely went off. Seemed like the ball was in the air when it sounded but it was very close. Evans made the shot v. Michigan State last year. One game clock was showing 0.1 and it gone and the other -- above the basket -- was at 0.0 with it on his finger tips. They reviewed that and said the clock above the basket was official. The original call was a made basket which they reviewed and then disallowed.

I'd love to sit and complain about the shot prior, but the reality is that the Gophers blew several chances on their own that could have put the game out of reach. It's hard to complain about that shot when the Gophers had a senior forward at the line with two free throws and he couldn't convert.

Disappointing all the way around today.

I'd love to sit and complain about the shot prior, but the reality is that the Gophers blew several chances on their own that could have put the game out of reach. It's hard to complain about that shot when the Gophers had a senior forward at the line with two free throws and he couldn't convert.

Disappointing all the way around today.

Say what you want, but did you really expect Ingram to put that first free throw in, especially since it was the front end of a 1-on-1? The question you can ask is why he was even in the game in that situation, but he's a 50% free throw shooter in a pressure situation.

By the way, UW had a senior forward - who is a much more integral part of the team - on the line for TWO shots just prior, and he missed them both. Using your logic, UW deserved to lose more than the Gophers did, then.

How about the fumble-forward that Nebraska was awarded a first down on last year on the batted ball?

To be technical, it was a muffed backwards pass and was not batted. Batting is intentional. Don't let one call cover up how bad we are playing.

You are traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land of imagination. Next stop, the Kohl Center!

Yeah, you're right, just like the play clocks in football. After the clock reads 0, the refs wait 1 full second, and then call the delay of game. My bad.

The shot clock is reset at 35 though, not 34, so the time is up once it hits 0.

Say what you want, but did you really expect Ingram to put that first free throw in, especially since it was the front end of a 1-on-1? The question you can ask is why he was even in the game in that situation, but he's a 50% free throw shooter in a pressure situation.

By the way, UW had a senior forward - who is a much more integral part of the team - on the line for TWO shots just prior, and he missed them both. Using your logic, UW deserved to lose more than the Gophers did, then.

Wasn't it Williams on the line???

A couple of observations:

* One more key clarification about the clocks and the red light. The Red Light only goes comes on when the GAME clock reaches 0. It does not light up when the shot clock reaches 0. For those Badger apologists using the lack of the red light as a reason to justify the late shot, you're dead wrong. The only determining factor is the Buzzer and it has to be heard audibly by the refs to get the call. There's no way they'd ever rule a shot off in Kohl that was that close.

*The Clock was on 0 but I honestly couldn't tell if the horn sounded as he shot the ball because it was bang/bang. I wonder if the horn is done manually by the clock operator or if its automatically tied into the 0 on the scoreboard.

*Jackson traveled before shooting. He made a fine move to beat Trevor to the spot, but when came to the abrupt halt, he picked up his pivot foot, ever so slightly...Of course that wasn't ever going to be called in Kohl or anywhere else. Just an observation.

A couple of observations:

* One more key clarification about the clocks and the red light. The Red Light only goes comes on when the GAME clock reaches 0. It does not light up when the shot clock reaches 0. For those Badger apologists using the lack of the red light as a reason to justify the late shot, you're dead wrong. The only determining factor is the Buzzer and it has to be heard audibly by the refs to get the call. There's no way they'd ever rule a shot off in Kohl that was that close.

*The Clock was on 0 but I honestly couldn't tell if the horn sounded as he shot the ball because it was bang/bang. I wonder if the horn is done manually by the clock operator or if its automatically tied into the 0 on the scoreboard.

*Jackson traveled before shooting. He made a fine move to beat Trevor to the spot, but when came to the abrupt halt, he picked up his pivot foot, ever so slightly...Of course that wasn't ever going to be called in Kohl or anywhere else. Just an observation.
Horn is tied to the clock.

Horn is tied to the clock.

If they are tied together than I'm not sure why they can't use the clock as well and the NCAA should use allow replay in those situations inside the final minute.

I agree it should be allowed in the last minute.

@andrehollins: Losing to Wisconsin on a shot that was still in his hands <<< time to see what we are made of. Love this team #Gophers

Go Gophers!!

@me: Losing to Wisconsin due to a pathetic 40-minute performance << stop focusing on the last play of the game.

@andrehollins: Losing to Wisconsin on a shot that was still in his hands <<< time to see what we are made of. Love this team #Gophers

Go Gophers!!

I thought the last three games have been time to see what this team was made of.

The shot clock is reset at 35 though, not 34, so the time is up once it hits 0.

I was being sarcastic. When the shot clock says 0, time is up. Our friend probably doesn't understand round-down functions in computer programming.

I was watching the highlights last night on ch 4. I replayed the shot 'frame by frame'.....same camera as the one posted by bleed. When the shot clock reached 0 the ball was definitely off the palm of his hand. Because the camera was behind the shooter you could not tell if the ball was still touching his fingers......it would take a side angle to tell if it was. Not sure how the sounding of the horn plays into the equation.

Seems to me this is one of those close calls(like many) that could go either way.....even with the help of replay.

@me: Losing to Wisconsin due to a pathetic 40-minute performance << stop focusing on the last play of the game.

I like the new signature photo Bruce. Says to me it's time to change, all bets are off. Everybodies job is on the line at the next practice, furthermore I agree with the statement. Time to see who competes. Time to see what the team is made of, lastly it's time to see what kind of fans we are.

Time to see what the team is made of, lastly it's time to see what kind of fans we are.

Seems to me that we already know what the fans are made of. We're a fricking loyal bunch with little return. We suffered through a major scandal in the 70s, 80s and 90s...our most memorable season led to one of the most devastating scandals in college sports, we haven't won a tourney game in 15 years, the 2000s have produced few highlights while our rival has gone to 15 straight NCAA tourneys. If we don't know what kind of fans we are now, we may never know...a 3-4 start won't reveal much more.

Looking forward to being back in The Barn on Tuesday night!!

Go Gophers!!

Seems to me that we already know what the fans are made of. We're a fricking loyal bunch with little return. We suffered through a major scandal in the 70s, 80s and 90s...our most memorable season led to one of the most devastating scandals in college sports, we haven't won a tourney game in 15 years, the 2000s have produced few highlights while our rival has gone to 15 straight NCAA tourneys. If we don't know what kind of fans we are now, we may never know...a 3-4 start won't reveal much more.

Go Gophers!!

Amen! Can't wait til Tuesday and the easier part of the schedule. The season is not over, but hopes for challenging for the big 10 title are over. This can still be a very good team.

Go Gophers!!

Great point Bleed. I hate the moniker "fair weather fans" when applied to pretty much any Minnesota sports teams, because for quite a few teams in the market, most fans haven't ever seen fair weather. I hope to heck we blow out Nebraska and get on a winning streak that involves some key upsets to regain our strong spot in the rankings.

Great point Bleed. I hate the moniker "fair weather fans" when applied to pretty much any Minnesota sports teams, because for quite a few teams in the market, most fans haven't ever seen fair weather. I hope to heck we blow out Nebraska and get on a winning streak that involves some key upsets to regain our strong spot in the rankings.

I feel the energy, lets GO!

Top Bottom