Phrases/Word Play That Annoy the &$%# Out of You

"My work"
As in, I have a stapler like that at my work.
Just grates.

This is probably a small-town thing, but I hear people say they are "doctoring" when seeking medical attention. As in "Betty is doctoring over in Sioux Falls today."
Do they also get cinnamon rolls from the bakery and refer them as "boughten rolls"?

There's an on-going debate in my house on the correct pronunciation of caramel. Is is car-mel or care-a-mel? Lines have been drawn, alliances formed, flags staked, heels dug.
Now do crayon and mayonnaise.

People who use the phase, "As well" habitually, at the end of sentences.

blah blah blah blah . . . as well. Please, please, please leave the "As Well" off the end of your sentences. It's a bad look, a bad habit, and your sentences are just fine without it.

I hate when people refer a type of something as plural. "The Ohio States, The Alabamas" There is only one Ohio State football team and only one Alabama football team. How about "teams like Ohio State and teams like Alabama".

When refered to at work:

"Think outside the box"
"Boots on the ground"
"All hands on deck"
I got my stuff from Walmarts. Now I'm heading over to The Shopco.

Just got a call from a salesperson who literally used the phrase "free with purchase" to talk about the extra stuff they'd be giving me -- "free with purchase", had to laugh at that one.

People who use the phase, "As well" habitually, at the end of sentences.

blah blah blah blah . . . as well. Please, please, please leave the "As Well" off the end of your sentences. It's a bad look, a bad habit, and your sentences are just fine without it.
I hate that as well.

"We need to take care of the football"

Well, no shit!

Factually, objective incorrect to say "try and".

You're not trying and then doing something.

You're trying to do something. Get it correct, or F off.

"I could care less".

OK. Then you should choose to care less than you currently are. Whoopty F'ing doo.

If you meant the correct "I could not care less", then that would actually be saying something.

It’s died down now but “Fam” every 4 or 5 words was driving me nuts for a while.

"Do the Lindahl" annoys the piss out of me.....along with that entire commercial. The only thing accomplished by that commercial is that everyone in it looks like a moron doing a "dance"? It's the kind of commercial that would cause me to take my house elsewhere.....if I were selling.

heard a sports report on the radio - the announcer talked about the home team scoring on an
"exceptional" 76-yard run.

as opposed to all those boring, routine, ordinary 76-yard runs.

"He can score the basketball."

Why the heck does the basketball need to added?!? How else can one get points?

Would seem foolish to rely on goaltending by the opposing defense.

Using the word "sammie" as an abbreviation for sandwich. It bugs me for 2 reasons, why is the letter "m" making a magical appearance? Furthermore, it's still 2 syllables so it's not shortening anything.

Using the word "sammie" as an abbreviation for sandwich. It bugs me for 2 reasons, why is the letter "m" making a magical appearance? Furthermore, it's still 2 syllables so it's not shortening anything.

Although, I do wish there'd been an Earl of Sam.

Top Bottom