Philly guard Kai Shinholster commits to the Gophers.

Rivals give him a solid review as describes him as a "shifty combo guard, game manager, has length and multi-positional attributes, consistent catch and shoot presence, growing defensive versatility, can sit down on smaller point guards, gets downhill and sees the floor, has length and versatility, positional versatility with his rebounding, uses the angles to drive and draw in defenders before kicking it out to perimeter shooters, .................."

What's not to like about that?

Solid pickup right now. Going to be a big class next year so getting some guys for class balance now is big, especially if you’re not going to roll as a portal heavy team long term and a guy like this should be ok if you do sign someone who’s an impact transfer

Solid pickup right now. Going to be a big class next year so getting some guys for class balance now is big, especially if you’re not going to roll as a portal heavy team long term and a guy like this should be ok if you do sign someone who’s an impact transfer

I think for the time being, portal heavy classes will be more of the rule than the exception. In 2022, we brought in five freshmen (counting the redshirt). Four of those are gone with only the redshirt remaining. If you were Ben Johnson, what lesson would you draw from that?

Having said that, it's important to bring in at least a couple of freshmen each year. Tough to recruit eight or more portal players each year although Johnson seems to be getting better at it.

Is class balance even a thing anymore in basketball? (Serious question.)

Depends. You’d ideally want some diversity and guys that stick for multiple years (recruiting 10 new guys every year unless you have deep pockets will be challenging to get quality). Also helps with differential playing time

Depends. You’d ideally want some diversity and guys that stick for multiple years (recruiting 10 new guys every year unless you have deep pockets will be challenging to get quality). Also helps with differential playing time
Ideally you need some carryover, 7 would be great, not sure it will be a reality though.

It is. In reverse...everybody wants to be older, more experienced. I'm not saying you shouldn't recruit any freshmen but if they are good it's likely somebody will pay them to play for them . If they don't play, odds are higher they will transfer than before the portal.
IF we get this guy he'll play for us as a freshman.

I like this kid, by the way. He answered questions well in the interview. Seems talented with decent length.

My take now on recruiting is to bring in 2 or three freshmen every year and let the chips fall where they may. Tough to keep players. Case in point is Carrington. Got minutes and was handled, in my opinion, exceptional through trying times and he splits.

I like it, nice size, decent looking stroke on his shot, can get to the basket. Welcome aboard!

nice get.

What is the deal with the background chirping noise? It sound like tennis shoe on the floor, but it keeps going even when everyone stops and watch a shot. It is almost like a old sitcom laugh track.

What is the deal with the background chirping noise? It sound like tennis shoe on the floor, but it keeps going even when everyone stops and watch a shot. It is almost like a old sitcom laugh track.
That's Shooter's "Little Birdie"....

Watching his film.:

He has a fairly high release and at 6’5” he can get it off with someone in his grill.
Quickly sets himself and gets a shot off fast. Has a great fade away.
Skinny little bastard but he finishes through contact.
He could be Cam 2.0.

Ryan James isn't anything special.
Never said he was. I see no one here on GH that will do a detailed report about his skills after reviewing his tape. So I read his stuff. But I won’t be posting it here.

Never said he was. I see no one here on GH that will do a detailed report about his skills after reviewing his tape. So I read his stuff. But I won’t be posting it here.
His knowledge and write ups are suspect at best.

It is. In reverse...everybody wants to be older, more experienced. I'm not saying you shouldn't recruit any freshmen but if they are good it's likely somebody will pay them to play for them . If they don't play, odds are higher they will transfer than before the portal.
IF we get this guy he'll play for us as a freshman.
But every scenario says that we shouldn't recruit any freshmen.

I like this kid, by the way. He answered questions well in the interview. Seems talented with decent length.

My take now on recruiting is to bring in 2 or three freshmen every year and let the chips fall where they may. Tough to keep players. Case in point is Carrington. Got minutes and was handled, in my opinion, exceptional through trying times and he splits.
But every possible scenario says that we shouldn't recruit any freshmen. The chips will always fall the wrong way.

I like him also. Hopefully, he's as good as advertised and we are able to keep him more than 1 year...

Top Bottom