Phillip Nelson vs Joel Stave

I know who is tougher. Nelson. If we hammer Stave a couple of times he'll hear footsteps

This is a toughie. They both have great hair.

Nelson has improved as the season has gone along. I'll take Nelson now, and definitely for the future.

nelson given he doesn't make mistakes. better runner. throwing is pretty on par. both can really do a nice job when they're on but get happy feet under pressure.

If Stave was a Gopher, he wouldn't be playing. On the other hand, if Nelson was a Badger, he's probably buried as well. What each team expects from their quarterback is so different. But, Nelson may have fit Anderson's future plan for the Badger offense.

Stave reminds me a lot of Shortell. Has a pretty nice arm. Doesn't run particularly well, but when you can hand off to Gordon, White, or Clement, you really don't have to be.

Wisconsin has a commitment from one of the better dual-purpose QBs in this year's class and I'll be curious to see if (and how if he does) Andersen changes up the Wisconsin offense in the coming years.

Gophers have the worst rated passing game in the Big Ten. Hope Gophers can
run the ball Saturday and make no mistakes.

Early season struggles are the reason they're still last in the conference in passing. They've been MUCH better the past 4 games. I'd like to think every Gopher fan knows that.

I had no idea the QBs were on the field at the same time competing against each other. Learned something new.

Didn't realize until now that Nelson hasn't thrown a pick since September. Need that streak to continue this Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had no idea the QBs were on the field at the same time competing against each other. Learned something new.

I had no idea that Badger fans were dumb as rocks and can't understand side by side comparisons...oh wait I guess I did already know that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gopherveteran said:

Not even close. The Gopher passing rating is 55th in the country, ahead of NE, PSU, NW, IA, and Purdue.

I had no idea that Badger fans were dumb as rocks and can't understand side by side comparisons...oh wait I guess I did already know that.
[/URL]

LOL Guy

You won't get under my skin calling names and I don't resort to that.

Here is the point. The, as you call it, side by side comparison, has absolutely no relevance. Tell me how the QB is going to do against the other teams secondary and then you have my interest. If you picked up a paper 15 years ago you would see an analysis along the lines of who has the better running back, offensive line, etc. Personally, I am concerned about Nelson to Max Williams who is a very good tight end and a mismatch for most defenses. Great young player. How does UW defend tight ends? Can the Gopher D cover Abberderis and Pederson? So these days most educated fans realize its about match-ups which change week to week, not who has the best QB. By the way if you go to CFstats.com Stave is better in almost every category. I would add the caveat that those stats do not take into account Nelson's running ability, which is sneaky good. Can Nelson run on the Badgers given their speed at LB? These are relevant questions for this game. Hope the edification helps.

The Gophers average about 140 yards passing per game, which is 12th in the Big Ten. I hope the
Gophers are able to run the ball and dont turn over the ball.
Also, a good running game will help open the tight ends and backs for some passes.

QB ratings:

Stave 145.3
Nelson 141.6

That's very close. Under the college football system, those aren't all that stellar, but not the worst. IIRC, Russell Wilson was something like 191 and Marcus Mariota is at 176.2 so far this season. Nathan Scheelhaase is at 139.6.

QB ratings:

Stave 145.3
Nelson 141.6

That's very close. Under the college football system, those aren't all that stellar, but not the worst. IIRC, Russell Wilson was something like 191 and Marcus Mariota is at 176.2 so far this season. Nathan Scheelhaase is at 139.6.

The Gopher season started 4 games ago. Now do your comparisons, I don't think they're close. Nelson is a much better QB than Stave, especially for the type of offense they run. Stave limits the ceiling for the Badgers, Nelson raises the ceiling.

LOL Guy

Here is the point. The, as you call it, side by side comparison, has absolutely no relevance. Tell me how the QB is going to do against the other teams secondary and then you have my interest. If you picked up a paper 15 years ago you would see an analysis along the lines of who has the better running back, offensive line, etc. Personally, I am concerned about Nelson to Max Williams who is a very good tight end and a mismatch for most defenses. Great young player. How does UW defend tight ends? Can the Gopher D cover Abberderis and Pederson? So these days most educated fans realize its about match-ups which change week to week, not who has the best QB. By the way if you go to CFstats.com Stave is better in almost every category. I would add the caveat that those stats do not take into account Nelson's running ability, which is sneaky good. Can Nelson run on the Badgers given their speed at LB? These are relevant questions for this game. Hope the edification helps.

Perhaps you're on the wrong forum. On the Gopher forum we can discuss our opinions on the topic presented by the OP, whose point was: "Who's the better Quarterback?" The imitable GopherFan88 began what has been a popular topic for debate since, well, I'm not exactly sure, but I think a really, really long time. Maybe you should start your own thread: why don't quarterbacks ever tackle each other and if they did would the matchup make for a good newspaper article 15 years ago.

LOL Guy

Nice try. You're just a trolling Badger hoodlum trying to hijack a thread that is a debate about who is the better quarterback, not about matchups. You're either dense or very inelegant.

In either case, go back to Madison. Wisconsin blows, your economy sucks, and your fans are the most arrogant, entitled, jerks in the Big Ten.

The Gopher season started 4 games ago. Now do your comparisons, I don't think they're close. Nelson is a much better QB than Stave, especially for the type of offense they run. Stave limits the ceiling for the Badgers, Nelson raises the ceiling.

How did it start 4 games ago?

After Limegrover came out and apologized for trying to run an offense that was not capable of being successfull. Notice any difference in style over the last 4 games?

Successful has only one l, which ends an incorrect, inaccurate statement.

From Station19's link to "Five Reasons For Gopher Football Turnaround" from the Strib:

2. Philip Nelson’s efficiency

Another key to the improved offense has been the quarterback play. Philip Nelson made seven starts as a freshman last year and turned in a passer efficiency rating of 104.4.

This statistic is a combined measure of completion percentage, passing yardage, touchdowns and interceptions. Nelson’s overall passer efficiency rating this year is 141.6; in Big Ten play it’s 159.4, which ranks second to Ohio State’s Braxton Miller (165.7).

When Nelson was slowed because of a hamstring injury, Mitch Leidner gave the Gophers a potent running threat at quarterback and a 124.6 passer efficiency.

But Nelson has returned and found another level. He hasn’t fumbled or thrown an interception since the Sept. 28 loss to Iowa. Since then, he has passed for seven touchdowns and run for three.

Nelson doesn't throw a good enough ball to beat Wisconsin. The running game will have win the game and provide passing openings to the tight end and backs. In regard to Nelson's running,
Wisconsin is better than Iowa. We saw his results against Iowa.

Nelson doesn't throw a good enough ball to beat Wisconsin. The running game will have win the game and provide passing openings to the tight end and backs. In regard to Nelson's running,

Wasn't he also recovering from an injury against Iowa? I thought I remembered him not being 100% for that game.

Honest question. Have you watched the last 4 games?

Top Bottom