Phillip Nelson: Fresno State no longer interested in quarterback

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Pioneer Press:

An attorney's attempt to change the sentencing date for former Gopher quarterback Philip Nelson has resulted in Nelson losing a chance to play football for an NCAA Division I team in California, Nelson's attorney said Wednesday.

Court documents filed in Nelson's assault case said he was considering a move to Fresno State University and a request by his victim's attorney to delay his sentencing could jeopardize that opportunity. When news of the possible sentencing date change and the Fresno offer broke Wednesday, a university official called Nelson's family and said the offer had been withdrawn, said Jim Fleming, Nelson's attorney.

"These universities are very finicky, they're very fickle," Fleming said.

Nelson had been scheduled to be sentenced Feb. 25 for assaulting Isacc Kolstad, but an attorney representing the Kolstad family, Ken White, asked Blue Earth County District Court Judge Bradley Walker to move the hearing to March 5. White was not going to be able to attend the hearing at the end of February because of a planned vacation and wanted to be present when the Kolstads provide victim impact statements.

A letter Fleming sent to Walker at the end of January was filed earlier this week. It said the March 5 sentencing date does not work for Nelson. It also said White's vacation was not grounds for changing the hearing date.

"Additionally, even with this six day delay, this delay is jeopardizing Mr. Nelson's ability to attend school," Fleming's letter said. "He has been advised that a delay of the sentencing will result in his not being accepted at Fresno State University.

"Please note that the Kolstads have access to a Victim Advocate with the County Attorney's Office, which they have refused to use. Mr. White is not a party to this matter and his request does not justify a continuance."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...rce=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

Why should the victim of anything have a say in the legal process?
Unless they are the ones filing a suit they should have no say in when anything takes place. The judicial process should not be commanded by this "victim"

Or any victim. It should be an independent process.

Why should the victim of anything have a say in the legal process?
Unless they are the ones filing a suit they should have no say in when anything takes place. The judicial process should not be commanded by this "victim"

Or any victim. It should be an independent process.

You are looking at this all wrong. What should some f'ing moron who committed a gross misdemeanor have any say on dates of his trial so he can try and play football. The legal process should play out, and if one side needs more time for whatever reason, they get more time. I'm sure the California Penal League will be waiting when he's done.

You are looking at this all wrong. What should some f'ing moron who committed a gross misdemeanor have any say on dates of his trial so he can try and play football. The legal process should play out, and if one side needs more time for whatever reason, they get more time. I'm sure the California Penal League will be waiting when he's done.

Yes, but the issue at hand is that the Kolstad party is not involved at this point. This is a matter between the state and Nelson. They are asking for a stay so that a 3rd party (i.e. a non-involved member) can have their attorney around to make a comment. I agree with Some guy, while they can ask all they want, there is no reason they should be able to dictate the timing between the state and Nelson.

You could make the case that Nelson should be subject to whatever the state plans or wants, as the convicted, but that's not what is happening in this instance.

Hmm. Didn't know Fresno State was interested in Nelson. That is news I hadn't heard.

Yes, but the issue at hand is that the Kolstad party is not involved at this point. This is a matter between the state and Nelson. They are asking for a stay so that a 3rd party (i.e. a non-involved member) can have their attorney around to make a comment.

Not involved? Shouldn't have a say or a chance to comment? What a joke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If someone breaks into your home you have no say in the timeline of the trial.
Why should a guy who attacked someone and then get punched out get a say in the trial of the guy he attacked.

Nelson pleaded guilty to 5th Degree Assault for kicking Kolstad in the head when he was on the ground. That makes Kolstad the victim. Victims of crimes have rights in Minnnesota:

Victim’s Right to Make a Statement at Sentencing or Plea Presentation Hearing.

Victims have the right to submit an impact statement to the court at the time of the plea presentation hearing and the sentencing or disposition hearing. The victim may choose whether to make the impact statement orally or in writing. If the victim requests, the prosecutor must present the statement orally to the court. The victim’s statement may address the harm, trauma, or economic loss suffered by the victim as a result of the crime, and the victim’s reaction to the proposed plea agreement, sentence, or disposition. Minn. Stat. §§ 611A.0301 and 611A.038.

Apparently, crime victims also have the right to have their attorney present during the sentencing hearing.

Maybe these "fickle" universities just don't want a meat-head, thug leading their offense.

Time to come home

Nelly, just put down your pride and pick up the phone and call 612 625 5000. Ask for the phone number for Jerry Kill's office and come on home.

Nelly, just put down your pride and pick up the phone and call 612 625 5000. Ask for the phone number for Jerry Kill's office and come on home.
Talk about a PR disaster.

If someone breaks into your home you have no say in the timeline of the trial.
Why should a guy who attacked someone and then get punched out get a say in the trial of the guy he attacked.
Trial is over, this is the sentencing hearing and victim statements are part of the sentencing process so the victim can talk about the impact the criminal action has had on their life since the incident.

It would be a story of redemption. folks eat that stuff up with both hands.

He'll only come back if he is named the starter.

I don't know, I was looking forward to seeing Nelson throw those bounce passes to the receivers on the quick out patterns.

It would be a story of redemption. folks eat that stuff up with both hands.
Not with this case. Redemption from a history of bad academics or skipping meetings maybe, not kicking a dude in the head while he lays on the ground.

Nelson pleaded guilty to 5th Degree Assault for kicking Kolstad in the head when he was on the ground. That makes Kolstad the victim. Victims of crimes have rights in Minnnesota:

Victim’s Right to Make a Statement at Sentencing or Plea Presentation Hearing.

Victims have the right to submit an impact statement to the court at the time of the plea presentation hearing and the sentencing or disposition hearing. The victim may choose whether to make the impact statement orally or in writing. If the victim requests, the prosecutor must present the statement orally to the court. The victim’s statement may address the harm, trauma, or economic loss suffered by the victim as a result of the crime, and the victim’s reaction to the proposed plea agreement, sentence, or disposition. Minn. Stat. §§ 611A.0301 and 611A.038.

Apparently, crime victims also have the right to have their attorney present during the sentencing hearing.

This guy gets it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seriously - what did Nelson show during his time at the U that would make another D1 team want to give him a scholarship - AND deal with the baggage of bringing in a player who was involved in a very public incident? I just think there have to be other QB options out there that don't include Nelson's baggage.

Seriously - what did Nelson show during his time at the U that would make another D1 team want to give him a scholarship - AND deal with the baggage of bringing in a player who was involved in a very public incident? I just think there have to be other QB options out there that don't include Nelson's baggage.

Huh? One of the most decorated quarterbacks this state has ever produced, thrown to the wolves halfway through his true freshman season (how many reps did he take running the offense vs. running the scout team leading up to it?), 46-73, 758 yds, 7 TDs, 0 Ints in four game win streak as a sophomore.

A D1 coach could look at all that and look at the abysmal passing game during Jerry Kill's tenure here and decide it's worth it. Good lord, it's not like Dantonio or Urban are expressing an interest...it's freakin' Rutgers and Fresno State.

Fresno State may have the worst fan base in all of CFB. The town is overrun with gangs that have adopted the school. It has gotten so bad the school was considering changing the name and colors of the athletic teams. There was a national story about it a few years back. They might not want him because he does not have a felony conviction.

Its really disappointing to see you and a large amount of other people on here just completely trashing a 20 year old kid. They both screwed up. Kolstad clearly got the worse outcome, and Im not trying to downplay it. Its awful what happened to him. I think we all realize this but for you to just rant on about one person is ridiculous. Id really hope you have never made a mistake in your entire life that makes people question your character even a small bit based off of how you go about talking about a kid.

I think Phil had what it takes to be an effective starter in a power conference.

come on home.

to be clear. my post has 0 to do with nels playing fb at the U. just come back complete yer degree. I believe AJ is back completing his degree.

Top Bottom