PHILIP NELSON: UPSIDE

Reaction score
Name a current or former college quarterback of whom Philip Nelson reminds you. So far, who does he resemble and what do you think his upside is? Recently, I've had good, long looks at Matt Barkley, Collin Klein, Seth Doege and Taylor Martinez. Not sure if I "see" Philip in any of those random QB's just mentioned.

I very closely watched Philip and the other QB's warm up Saturday and, of course, have now seen him play two games. I'd like to see him throw a tighter spiral and develop more arm strength. Do you think he's currently able to throw that 20 yard "dart" on a "rope"? It looks to me like his shoulder pads are sort of impinging his motion.

BTW, during warm ups, it seemed as if Leidner actually throws a better ball. Does anyone happen to know if Leidner is regarded as having a stronger arm?

Please don't get me wrong, I'm loving watching Philip do his thing and am very happy for the young man. I hope he has nothing but huge success. Just thought it would be interesting to have a conversation about this.

He doesn't throw a tight spiral and he lacks arm strength. He doesn't live up to the guys you mention and the 4th string Gopher qb throws better. Other than that he's Johnny U incarnate. And Eric Decker wasn't a blazer.

Think this conversation would make a whole lot more sense after the season. 2 games in there is really no telling what Nelson will be like. He had one mediocre performance on the road and a very good performance at home. Far too soon to compare him to anyone else in such limited action.

Hey BreakTheGopherCurse, your post lacks any current understanding of college football - The kid just wins Big Ten Player of the week and you post something like this? When was the last time a Gopher QB won this honor. Get a grip on it. Your commentary is off 1 thousand miles.

Hey BreakTheGopherCurse, your post lacks any current understanding of college football - The kid just wins Big Ten Player of the week and you post something like this? When was the last time a Gopher QB won this honor. Get a grip on it. Your commentary is off 1 thousand miles.

You football geniuses would rather talk about songs in the third quarter, how drunk you can get, how you mix your drinks, rip on Tim Brewster, etc, rather than football. Your smartass answers are very telling. You guys are no better than Jim Souhan, and don't you forget that for one second. Moreover, your accusations are more a reflection of how you bitter people think and approach others than anything. My questions and comments were authentic, genuine and without any pretense.

It's okay for you losers to evaluate the tape of some recruit, tell everyone who he reminds you of, and what you think are his strengths or weaknesses. This board is full of cronies and phonies who really don't want to talk football. You just want to tell one another how wonderful you are and what you're putting on the grill.

Truly, you disingenuous, mean, condescending bastards are absolutely no better than Jim Souhan. Look closely in the mirror and ask yourselves why you can't be men. Grow up.

nice subtle put down

Not necessarily.

1st game; @Wisconsin..didn't have much of a chance to show his ability, hostile environment, first game.

2nd game; great showing, hit open receivers, made good decisions and ability to run.

It's really only one game to judge him on. Could he become the greatest MN QB?..possibly. Could he be an average BT QB?, possibly.

I also noticed he didn't throw a real tight spiral, and he didn't show great arm strength....doesn't mean he won't be a great qb. The same could be said about Fran....(showing my age here).

Who does he remind me of?(again, only one game)....Adam Weber.

When Weber was a freshman, I thought for sure I was seeing an eventual NFL QB. For whatever reason(s) Weber never seemed to improve that much. Some will say he even regressed.

Pointing out our thoughts and perceptions is what we do here.

Nelson is what he is. A young freshman QB with two games under his belt with time to improve on his weak areas. Break's take on his mechanics is worthy of discussion.

He appears to make good decisions and has put the ball out there when the WR's are open. He has a fairly quick release. He will need to connect on all the routes Saturday and get time from the OL if we are to have a chance. Unlike Purdue, Michigan will be ready for the double pump.

Nelson is what he is. A young freshman QB with two games under his belt with time to improve on his weak areas. Break's take on his mechanics is worthy of discussion.

He appears to make good decisions and has put the ball out there when the WR's are open. He has a fairly quick release. He will need to connect on all the routes Saturday and get time from the OL if we are to have a chance. Unlike Purdue, Michigan will be ready for the double pump.

True. Coaches and Coordinators aren't all as dumb as some think.

Never underestimate scouting and game-planning.

Name a current or former college quarterback of whom Philip Nelson reminds you. So far, who does he resemble and what do you think his upside is? Recently, I've had good, long looks at Matt Barkley, Collin Klein, Seth Doege and Taylor Martinez. Not sure if I "see" Philip in any of those random QB's just mentioned.

I very closely watched Philip and the other QB's warm up Saturday and, of course, have now seen him play two games. I'd like to see him throw a tighter spiral and develop more arm strength. Do you think he's currently able to throw that 20 yard "dart" on a "rope"? It looks to me like his shoulder pads are sort of impinging his motion.

BTW, during warm ups, it seemed as if Leidner actually throws a better ball. Does anyone happen to know if Leidner is regarded as having a stronger arm?

Please don't get me wrong, I'm loving watching Philip do his thing and am very happy for the young man. I hope he has nothing but huge success. Just thought it would be interesting to have a conversation about this.

Dan Persa.
Very accurate, without a rocket arm, but enough to get the ball deep.
Good not great mobility, with solid size and intangibles.
Persa would have been a monster his senior year had he not ruined his achilles at Iowa the year before.

Not necessarily.

1st game; @Wisconsin..didn't have much of a chance to show his ability, hostile environment, first game.

2nd game; great showing, hit open receivers, made good decisions and ability to run.

It's really only one game to judge him on. Could he become the greatest MN QB?..possibly. Could he be an average BT QB?, possibly.

I also noticed he didn't throw a real tight spiral, and he didn't show great arm strength....doesn't mean he won't be a great qb. The same could be said about Fran....(showing my age here).

When Weber was a freshman, I thought for sure I was seeing an eventual NFL QB. For whatever reason(s) Weber never seemed to improve that much. Some will say he even regressed.

Your thinking was correct. Weber is currently an NFL QB. But please don't curse Nelson by comparing him to "two skip" Weber.

My thoughts are this. We are set at QB for the next five years barring injury with Nelson, Leidner, and kid from IL. Competition will be strong. Nelson gets the ball where it needs to be and can do it quickly. He can throw the ball with or without the laces which not all QB's are comfortable doing. When he sets and throws he looks like Drew Brees a bit, but that may just be the #9 influence. He struggled more with the short game against Wisconsin and Michigan will probably try to duplicate that. Again we are set at QB, we need to get other positions better to aid the QB.

Not necessarily.

The sad part about that bolded statement is YOU WERE. He's 3rd string for Tampa Bay, Tampa Bay.

Agree. Having the early success he did was probably the worst thing for him, b/c he did appear to regress.

You football geniuses would rather talk about songs in the third quarter, how drunk you can get, how you mix your drinks, rip on Tim Brewster, etc, rather than football. Your smartass answers are very telling. You guys are no better than Jim Souhan, and don't you forget that for one second. Moreover, your accusations are more a reflection of how you bitter people think and approach others than anything. My questions and comments were authentic, genuine and without any pretense.

It's okay for you losers to evaluate the tape of some recruit, tell everyone who he reminds you of, and what you think are his strengths or weaknesses. This board is full of cronies and phonies who really don't want to talk football. You just want to tell one another how wonderful you are and what you're putting on the grill.

Truly, you disingenuous, mean, condescending bastards are absolutely no better than Jim Souhan. Look closely in the mirror and ask yourselves why you can't be men. Grow up.

Who's talking about these things? Has The Hungry Sailor re-emerged?

Uncle Rico also throws a rope through his tire swing in the backyard. Unfortunately for him and your comparison, this is one small aspect of what it takes to be a good QB. I'll take someone who has good footwork, pocket presence, and accuracy within 30 yards any day compared to someone who has a cannon for an arm. If arm strength and a tight spiral were the sole criteria, Moses Alipate would be starting right now. It also made me think of Shane Heal, the point guard/shooting guard for the Wolves about 10 years ago. No one has ever been a better shooter in pre-game warm-ups than Shane Heal. Unfortunately, games aren't won in pre-game warmups with no one playing defense.

My thoughts are this. We are set at QB for the next five years barring injury with Nelson, Leidner, and kid from IL. Competition will be strong. Nelson gets the ball where it needs to be and can do it quickly. He can throw the ball with or without the laces which not all QB's are comfortable doing. When he sets and throws he looks like Drew Brees a bit, but that may just be the #9 influence. He struggled more with the short game against Wisconsin and Michigan will probably try to duplicate that. Again we are set at QB, we need to get other positions better to aid the QB.

We have good potential at QB. Nelson looks solid, but he has all of 2 starts under his belt and I remember people being really high on Shortell last year, now he is just an afterthought. If Shortell transfers our depth at the QB position going forward is scary as you would have a half year starter in Nelson backed up by a RS freshman that has never taken a snap and a true freshman. That doesn't sound set to me. If Nelson is able to stay healthy and build on the Purdue performance he could be a good one for us going forward but we have to see what happens as teams get a good look at him and adjust their scheme to limit what he does well.

The sad part about that bolded statement is YOU WERE. He's 3rd string for Tampa Bay, Tampa Bay.

Agree. Having the early success he did was probably the worst thing for him, b/c he did appear to regress.

In fairness to Weber he looked very good early and then had is world flipped upside down by the revolving door at the coordinator position. Had he been in the same system his entire career he may have built on the potential he showed early and been even better. People forget Weber ran a lot his freshman year in Dunbar's offense and was actually pretty good at it. Nelson actually reminds me a lot of Weber as a freshman....which I know is not what people want to hear but we could do a lot worse than having another Weber for the next few years.

Killjoy, station19 is talking about his plowing partner...Francis the Talking Mule. :rockon:

+19 or has Parski taken points away from him again? I appreciated the laugh even though it was at station19's expense.

+19 or has Parski taken points away from him again? I appreciated the laugh even though it was at station19's expense.

Killjoy, I have found out that 19 can take as well as dish it out. Believe it or not, so can Parski1. Me??? If people didn't give me $hit, they wouldn't talk to me at all. Just ask jamalo/tinyarch. :)

Killjoy, I have found out that 19 can take as well as dish it out. Believe it or not, so can Parski1. Me??? If people didn't give me $hit, they wouldn't talk to me at all. Just ask jamalo/tinyarch. :)

As soon as I leave the room you jackwagons start talking about me.

In fairness to Weber he looked very good early and then had is world flipped upside down by the revolving door at the coordinator position. Had he been in the same system his entire career he may have built on the potential he showed early and been even better. People forget Weber ran a lot his freshman year in Dunbar's offense and was actually pretty good at it. Nelson actually reminds me a lot of Weber as a freshman....which I know is not what people want to hear but we could do a lot worse than having another Weber for the next few years.

100% agree. People want to just say Weber was terrible, but he went through a lot of crap with all the coordinator rotations. continuity is very important for most quarterbacks.

Look at Alex Smith with the 49ers. People were sure he was a bust. All of a sudden he has the right and steady coach and he looks, at worst, like an average NFL QB.

As soon as I leave the room you jackwagons start talking about me.

We knew you were busy out fall plowing, and had fun at your expense.

Is Francis cooled down and fed now?

Killjoy and Parski0 are really fun guys. We are all waiting for an invite to come to Alex and meet you in the Park under Big Ole. But knowing the Alexandria Police Department, they would charge us all with Public Consumption and fine us $134.99 plus tax and gratuity.

100% agree. People want to just say Weber was terrible, but he went through a lot of crap with all the coordinator rotations. continuity is very important for most quarterbacks.

Look at Alex Smith with the 49ers. People were sure he was a bust. All of a sudden he has the right and steady coach and he looks, at worst, like an average NFL QB.

Kind of the point I was trying to make. As a frosh Weber show a lot of promise. He wasn't throwing those bounce passes his first year. I think Nelson looks a lot like Weber when he was a freshman. Like I said, it's really only one game.

Top Bottom