Phil - PGA

Ope3

Reaction score
Wow, just unreal. In my lifetime this is right there with with Jack's win at the '86 Masters and Tiger's comeback at the '19 Masters as far as theater. Understatement for sure.

Watson at The Open coming up short in '09 at age 59 was just heartbreaking. All weekend I was convinced that Phil would lose in some spectacular fashion, and it could have happened on #17, but he got through it.

I would love to see him complete the career Grand Slam at the US Open, and he will get chances until he is at least 55 years old.

He won a PGA Tour event as a 20 year old amateur college kid and a Major at age 50, quite a bookend.

He has 45 PGA Tour titles, yet was never ranked #1.

Another Ryder Cup on the horizon?

Saw on Golf Channel a few additional interesting factoids:

- Phil has the record for most time elapsed between 1st and Last PGA Tour victories, 30+ years.

- 4th player to win a PGA Tour event in 4 different decades (Sam Snead, Ray Floyd & Davis Love III)

- The Oldest Player to Win a Major mark had lasted 50+ years having been set by Julius Boros in 1968 (PGA). Before that, Old Tom Morris held it for 100+ years, winner of The Open back in 1867.

Top Bottom