Phil Miller's Take On Mike Leach

Just reading the comments below tells you all you ever want to know about how this would be received in MN if Leach were hired. There is no doubt TCF Bank would reverse its one year slide in ticket sales... on a dime.

It is clear this isn't going to happen but it adds a whole new dimention to the hiring process. Whomever IS hired will forever be compared to what might have been, with Leach. This is Minnesota... we always go the safe route and don't take chances. That means hiring coaches with losing records, for some reason. Do things the same way and expect different results.

There wouldn't be any problem with selling out TCF stadium. Might have the administrators walking the plank periodically. It would sure put a focus on Gopher football.

I really haven't thought about him either way because I figured there was no way he had a chance. Maybe if it drags out a little longer he will enter the discussions.

From the Times article about him it sounds like he basically applied the offensive concepts you would find in any top touch football league.

There wouldn't be any problem with selling out TCF stadium. Might have the administrators walking the plank periodically. It would sure put a focus on Gopher football.

I really haven't thought about him either way because I figured there was no way he had a chance. Maybe if it drags out a little longer he will enter the discussions.

From the Times article about him it sounds like he basically applied the offensive concepts you would find in any top touch football league.

It is already dragging out so let's force Leach on them now. Unless the plane/Sumlin/Golden rumors are true. I'm not buying it and starting to think Joel is trying to buy more time because the Leach momentum scares him.

If/when we find out Leach is not the guy can we PLEASE have some sort of valid information supporting completely ignoring him?

Not things like "he ruffled some feathers at the Insight Bowl," or "Maturi is scared of his relationship with the rowing coach," etc. I want hard facts that will make me say "Oh wow, Joel-Ma and Bruininks were right."

If/when we find out Leach is not the guy can we PLEASE have some sort of valid information supporting completely ignoring him?

Not things like "he ruffled some feathers at the Insight Bowl," or "Maturi is scared of his relationship with the rowing coach," etc. I want hard facts that will make me say "Oh wow, Joel-Ma and Bruininks were right."

Anti -Leach people will just give the old:"it's not a PC hire and he won't fly in Minnesota" response. I want to know what that means and how that effects the University. Is about money? Fear of lawsuits which equals money? How much money will we lose next year if we hire Edsall?

Just reading the comments below tells you all you ever want to know about how this would be received in MN if Leach were hired. There is no doubt TCF Bank would reverse its one year slide in ticket sales... on a dime.

It is clear this isn't going to happen but it adds a whole new dimention to the hiring process. Whomever IS hired will forever be compared to what might have been, with Leach. This is Minnesota... we always go the safe route and don't take chances. That means hiring coaches with losing records, for some reason. Do things the same way and expect different results.

Exactly!...several people commented that they would start buying season tickets if Leach were hired...we need to get on Maturi, the prez, and the board to at least give him a chance

Nope, you won't get that. You know why? First, it's not the way things are done--an AD simply won't go into the reasons why any candidate was passed over. It's unnecessary and burns bridges that might someday need to be crossed. Second, if he says anything negative about Leach, Leach will probably sue him.

Actually, we take some big chances, Brewster was one of the biggest ever, it just was not a well calculated chance.
I think taking chances is fine when there is a big upside opportunity. Seems like this might be that time.

Top Bottom