Phil Miller: Mpls Tribune Gopher Football Beat Reporter or Opinion Columnist?

supadupafly

Reaction score
Hard to tell sometimes. He is good as a beat reporter, don't get me wrong. But unfortunately he seems to have crossed over that line from simply presenting the facts and being a "beat reporter" to thinking he is an opinion columnist in much of what he publishes. More and more often I have noticed that he his injecting his own personal opinions into stories and has unfortunately started to go the snarky, cheap-shot route at times.

Not a fan when beat reporters start to go down this route. Do your job, present the facts. Keep your opinions and the stupid snarkiness out of it.

I've never noticed that with Phil's writing in stories that appear in the paper. Can you cite an example? There's a difference between his blog and his actual stories. His blog is meant more for his opinion.

Well you will only get to enjoy him on the Gopher football beat for 3 more games....so suck it up....

Minneapolis Tribune? What year do you think it is tonight, Sid?

Hard to tell sometimes. He is good as a beat reporter, don't get me wrong. But unfortunately he seems to have crossed over that line from simply presenting the facts and being a "beat reporter" to thinking he is an opinion columnist in much of what he publishes. More and more often I have noticed that he his injecting his own personal opinions into stories and has unfortunately started to go the snarky, cheap-shot route at times.

Not a fan when beat reporters start to go down this route. Do your job, present the facts. Keep your opinions and the stupid snarkiness out of it.

I think Miller is fine, but the line between reporter/opinion columnist has become so blurred and the reason is everyone wants to read or hear what they want to read or hear to bolster their own opinion as opposed to just reading objective reporting (if, in a philosophical sense, there is such a thing). And that's not just in sports, it's in just about every aspect of public life. Everyone likes to cozy up in their own little echo chamber and with all of the media outlets (and relatively amateur reporters in some instances), it's not difficult to find justification for your own assessment of a given situation.

I've never noticed that with Phil's writing in stories that appear in the paper. Can you cite an example? There's a difference between his blog and his actual stories. His blog is meant more for his opinion.

This is true. The internet/social media world has blurred the lines a little for reporters. If you're worried about his opinion creeping in you have to pay attention to whether it's a news story, his blog or a tweet.

Minneapolis Tribune? What year do you think it is tonight, Sid?

the news paper is located in the city of minneapolis. it is the tribune. the minneapolis tribune absorbed the minneapolis star. therefore i call it the minneapolis tribune. not the startribune or strib sans the city name.

the news paper is located in the city of minneapolis. it is the tribune. the minneapolis tribune absorbed the minneapolis star. therefore i call it the minneapolis tribune. not the startribune or strib sans the city name.

So, when are you going to start calling it the University of Upper Louisiana Purchase?

So, when are you going to start calling it the University of Upper Louisiana Purchase?

i have learned from others on this board to not engage in such conversation with you. apparently it is just a downward spiral once it happens and it sucks one in like the event horizon of a massive black hole. there is no escaping once it has you in its grasp.

have a wonderful day dpodoll! :D

i have learned from others on this board to not engage in such conversation with you. apparently it is just a downward spiral once it happens and it sucks one in like the event horizon of a massive black hole. there is no escaping once it has you in its grasp.

have a wonderful day dpodoll! :D

All I'm saying is that what I'm suggesting is equally as sensible as insisting upon calling it the "Minneapolis Tribune" because of some bizarre convoluted logic.

Or did the star absorb the tribune?

Or did the star absorb the tribune?

hmmmm? great question. well considering the way that collapsing stars and black holes work, this is certainly a possibility. let me do some investigating and get back to you. film at 11.

Opinion is now becoming part of being a beat writer's job since game stories are virtually a thing of the past. By the time the paper lands on your doorstep, the majority of a paper's audience already knows what happened in the game so the "game story" becomes more of an analysis. I know the Minneapolis Tribune's Twins recaps in the paper are about 25 percent game story and 75 percent analysis.

Phil Miller is now both.

I don't remember but I predict the Southdale Shopper is going to absorb the Strib. It is just a matter of time.

Just for the record.

"Today's Star Tribune is the product of the merger in 1982 between the Minneapolis Star, an evening newspaper, and the Minneapolis Tribune, a morning newspaper published by the same company"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Tribune

Just for the record.

"Today's Star Tribune is the product of the merger in 1982 between the Minneapolis Star, an evening newspaper, and the Minneapolis Tribune, a morning newspaper published by the same company"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Tribune

Several earlier mergers preceded that one by many years, as outlined below. The Minneapolis Tribune was founded in 1867, and operated by the Murphy family between 1891 and 1941. The Minneapolis Journal was founded in 1878 as an evening paper.

The Minneapolis Times was a morning paper starting in 1889; it was purchased by the Tribune in 1905 and its name was used in various forms until 1948.

Finally the Minnesota Daily Star began printing in 1920, and later became the Minneapolis Star, distributed in the evening.

The Cowles family bought the Star in 1935 and the Journal in 1939 and the two were merged into the Star-Journal, soon truncated to Star. The Cowles family bought the Tribune in 1941. The papers were operated as separate morning and evening papers.

will continue to refer to it as the minneapolis tribune. not the minnesota startribune, which believe it or not i have heard some call it. not the startribune, newspaper of the twin cities. not the strib. for old timey sake to me it will always be the minneapolis tribune. minneapolis' first morning daily. the minneapolis "star" name sticking around is simply a fortunate tag along for an otherwise so-so, significantly junior evening only newspaper.

Opinion is now becoming part of being a beat writer's job since game stories are virtually a thing of the past. By the time the paper lands on your doorstep, the majority of a paper's audience already knows what happened in the game so the "game story" becomes more of an analysis. I know the Minneapolis Tribune's Twins recaps in the paper are about 25 percent game story and 75 percent analysis.

Phil Miller is now both.

I really like that analysis Maximus. I think it accurately points out how the internet and instant availability of statistics and game results has changed the writer's role.

Top Bottom