Phil Loadholt on Sumlin

Reaction score
Not that it really matters but at least one of his former players thinks highly of him.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/106831543.html?page=3&c=y

• If Gophers athletic director Joel Maturi wants a recommendation on Kevin Sumlin, the current University of Houston football coach, for the Gophers coaching job, he should talk to Vikings tackle Phil Loadholt, who played at Oklahoma when Sumlin was the offensive coordinator. "Sumlin was a great coach, and the offense averaged 50-some points a game when he was there," Loadholt said. "He went down to Houston, and they had a great offense down there, too. We had a very successful offense [at Oklahoma]. All the guys loved him. A lot of wide receivers [that he coached at Oklahoma] went on to the NFL. Oh yeah, he was definitely one of my favorite coaches, and I enjoyed playing for him."

With all the recent news of Sumlin I'm guessing he's gonna get the job assuming the U doesn't land a huge name coach...

Loadholt points out they averaged 50+ points, without mentioning

The other side of the equation. What he fails to mention in this article is that Adrian Peterson was the running back at Oklahoma when Sumlin was having that success. Quite a running back I think most would agree. Not so sure that 50+ points a game had as much to do with Sumlin as it did having Adrian Peterson as the running back. You have elite talent like that and it will make any coach look like a genious.
If you watched Houston against UCF a little on Friday I think you would say pass on Houston's head coach. The defense is not very good, and they look like they have the same problems with fundamentals, safties in the wrong gaps, linebackers playing out of position and running themselves out of play and a front four that plays with a lot of confusion, lack of using there hands and hand fighting techique. Sumlin he has maybe one guy that is Big 10 caliber talent at this point in time on the defensive line. We need better than that, someone that can elevate and teach and bring in better talent.

The other side of the equation. What he fails to mention in this article is that Adrian Peterson was the running back at Oklahoma when Sumlin was having that success. Quite a running back I think most would agree. Not so sure that 50+ points a game had as much to do with Sumlin as it did having Adrian Peterson as the running back. You have elite talent like that and it will make any coach look like a genious.
If you watched Houston against UCF a little on Friday I think you would say pass on Houston's head coach. The defense is not very good, and they look like they have the same problems with fundamentals, safties in the wrong gaps, linebackers playing out of position and running themselves out of play and a front four that plays with a lot of confusion, lack of using there hands and hand fighting techique. Sumlin he has maybe one guy that is Big 10 caliber talent at this point in time on the defensive line. We need better than that, someone that can elevate and teach and bring in better talent.

I swear watching the game felt like watching a passing version of Mason's teams. When the commentators started ripping the Defense for poor tackling, confusion, poor angles, lack of fundamentals I was immediately turned off. Not completely sold out on Sumlin but definitely not sold yet either...

Wacker ball all over again. With those defenses, he'd get killed in the Big Ten. We'd be looking for a new coach in five years or so.

I wonder how many people love Leach but hate Sumlin.

When we hired Brewster, Sid had comments from Cedric Griffin saying how great of a coach and recruiter Brewster was.

I've never seen a player rip a former coach in a situation like this.

Go Gophers!!

Bleed...how do you feel about FireCosgroveGuy beating you to the punch posting this?

I wonder how many people love Leach but hate Sumlin.

I think they will both be Wacker 2.0. Wide open offenses with not nearly enough defense. Leach might have a higher chance of finding success as he found it at higher levels of competition. But I have reservations about both. And nothing makes me think they will have the same offensive success without the Texas talent pipelines.

Leach would not win at the U

"Air raid" and the Leach style of play will not work at the U. That would be even worse defense than Sumlin and Houston. I like Sumlin initially but after seeing all of there poor fundamentals against UCF I say and I hope others say look away. Texas Tech played no defense when Leach was coach and he would still have that problem at the U. A lot of people like Leach I say
the U should say pass and have no interest in Leach. We do not have the types of receivers you need to play the Air raid let alone a seasoned QB that can make those types of quick reads and rhythm passes. We do not need Wacker 2.0 and Leach and Sumlin would both be that, all offense all flash, no defense. Sumlin would really have to shore up the defensive side of the ball to win here.

lets face it.. Anyone,and I mean Anyone will be better than what we had..

"Air raid" and the Leach style of play will not work at the U. That would be even worse defense than Sumlin and Houston. I like Sumlin initially but after seeing all of there poor fundamentals against UCF I say and I hope others say look away. Texas Tech played no defense when Leach was coach and he would still have that problem at the U. A lot of people like Leach I say
the U should say pass and have no interest in Leach. We do not have the types of receivers you need to play the Air raid let alone a seasoned QB that can make those types of quick reads and rhythm passes. We do not need Wacker 2.0 and Leach and Sumlin would both be that, all offense all flash, no defense. Sumlin would really have to shore up the defensive side of the ball to win here.
I'm sick of people saying that the Air Raid won't work in the Big Ten. When Drew Brees was at Purdue, this is basically what they ran. If the offense is executed well then any offense can work in the Big Ten. Not everyone has to line up with two Tight Ends and try to pound the ball like Wisconsin and Iowa.

I'm sick of people saying that the Air Raid won't work in the Big Ten. When Drew Brees was at Purdue, this is basically what they ran. If the offense is executed well then any offense can work in the Big Ten. Not everyone has to line up with two Tight Ends and try to pound the ball like Wisconsin and Iowa.

That is your answer right there. Drew Brees was a Heisman candidate at the time and had a great career at Purdue and has had a great career in the NFL.

After Brees left, Tiller only went 54-46 and that was as the only team in the Big 10 using the spread.

I am not saying that the Air Raid offense wouldn't work at Minnesota. However this is a different era and our opponents would be prepared to face it. Big 10 football has traditionally been a defense first/ball control offense. If we're slinging the ball around 50 times in a game we have to be prepared to turn it over and let our opponent drain 5-8 minutes off of the clock driving down the field.......unless its Michigan.

That is your answer right there. Drew Brees was a Heisman candidate at the time and had a great career at Purdue and has had a great career in the NFL.

After Brees left, Tiller only went 54-46 and that was as the only team in the Big 10 using the spread.

I am not saying that the Air Raid offense wouldn't work at Minnesota. However this is a different era and our opponents would be prepared to face it. Big 10 football has traditionally been a defense first/ball control offense. If we're slinging the ball around 50 times in a game we have to be prepared to turn it over and let our opponent drain 5-8 minutes off of the clock driving down the field.......unless its Michigan.
I think the teams would have a harder time preparing for us then most other teams in the conference. No one else runs an Air Raid offense in the Big Ten. Some teams run the spread but that is different.

We could turn the ball over, you are right. Or we could drive the ball down the field efficiently for a quick score. You could also chew up five to ten minutes like Wisconsin does and also turn the ball over. It's part of the game, no offense is bullet proof.

I honestly don't care what offense a new coach brings here. Any offense can work anywhere if you have the right athletes and it is executed correctly. For me, it's more about the wins than what offense someone runs.

Leach's offense was about execution and repetition not elite athletes(until later i.e. crabtree). Leach only ran roughly 20 plays per game. The only thing he did that made it look complicated was line up in different formations to run the same play to confuse the defense. Absolutely no reason why his offense could not work here.

Only 54-46? Only 54-46? When is the last time we went 54-46? And you said it like 54-46 was a let down. At Minnesota that would be a name the stadium kind of record!

Top Bottom