Phil Fulmer: Minnesota "is not a good fit" and he is not a candidate

It's a pocket of older guys who love the fact that he played here, and was raised here. He has kept in contact with some of these individuals throughout the years, so it's slanted thoughts.

do those old guys care that if/when Trestman comes in they will be sitting in a half empty stadium with their fingers crossed that he can turn things around?

I am so scared that the hire will turn off prospective fans and we will continue lose season ticket holders and student interest.

No one over 46. We need someone who has energy, entering their prime. Though Fulmer had awesome success, i don't think he has the energy to make it happen in MN. Remember when Earle Bruce went to Colorado State (was that it), or Frank Solich to Ohio. Granted, neither of those too could match up to Fulmer's success, but that's what I kind of see happening wherever Fulmer ends up. He should just retire and be happy. Be a happy grandpa. Golden is my hopeful pick, however, Penn State may get in the way.

Dang! This means we now have less than 350 possibilities left!

It's a pocket of older guys who love the fact that he played here, and was raised here. He has kept in contact with some of these individuals throughout the years, so it's slanted thoughts.

I know Doogie has much more sources than I do, but I keep hearing that the Trestman talk isn't for real, that it's media created and that if there is a portion of the boosters who would be interested, they are in the vast minority.

do those old guys care that if/when Trestman comes in they will be sitting in a half empty stadium with their fingers crossed that he can turn things around?

I am so scared that the hire will turn off prospective fans and we will continue lose season ticket holders and student interest.

Lets face it he is not anyones first choice here, but if he begins to turn the program around people will comeback. If the team beats one of the B-10 powerhouse you would not stay away because of the coach.

This poor team is shot to sh#t and they just need some kind of leadership to get them in the right direction. The players can't wait for the season to end.

Trestman would not turn the program around. I am confident of that much.

Ducati -

Winnning would cure everything. The Gophers could hire Childress right now and if they won, he'd be popular. However, if the Gophers hired Trestman and it wasn't an immediete fix, the fan base would evaporate even more. If the Gophers hired Bellotti or Harbaugh (pipedreamin here), people would be patient.

I'm the Tennessee guy back again. I dont know how you guys are going to feel about hearing this, but I've been following all the beat writers around here for a long time. And if Jimmy Hyams wrote that Fulmer wasnt interested, look for your AD to hire him before the weekend.

Can you perhaps shed some light on why some of these people are so convinced that Trestman is man for the job? Is it based on anything other than him being "one of us"?

For me it's because he is everything Brewster is not. He is well thought of, great football mind, with a ton of coordinator experience. He has been a head coach. He would be a good coach. His lack of experience at the college level and recruiting are the question marks.

I'm the Tennessee guy back again. I dont know how you guys are going to feel about hearing this, but I've been following all the beat writers around here for a long time. And if Jimmy Hyams wrote that Fulmer wasnt interested, look for your AD to hire him before the weekend.

please expand this theory for the one dude in the gopherhole with Fulmer at the top of his list

For me it's because he is everything Brewster is not. He is well thought of, great football mind, with a ton of coordinator experience. He has been a head coach. He would be a good coach. His lack of experience at the college level and recruiting are the question marks.

Would he be a good college coach? We don't know. A coach who is "everything Brewster is not" would be a coach with significant college coaching experience, which Trestman doesn't have. Most of the names that have been floated are coaches who are truly "everything Brewster is not".

Top Bottom