Phil Fulmer: Minnesota "is not a good fit" and he is not a candidate

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per FootballScoop.com:

"Minnesota: Phil Fulmer has told Tennessee beat writer Jimmy Hyams that Minnesota "is not a good fit" and that he is not a candidate."

Go Gophers!!

He initially said we have good facilities and you can recruit there. Now it's not a good fit, for whatever reason. I have to assume there were at least some discussions, then, right? Not an offer, but at least they were talking.

It makes me feel good knowing they're at least making contact with that kind of candidate.

I said nearly the same thing when I first heard his name connected to the Gopher job. I think I said "Phil Fulmer is not a good fit, and he shouldn't be a candidate." I don't believe I directed these comments to any Tennessee beat writers though.

And to think Minnesota fans had an Ego saying Fulmer wasn't good enough for us...he doesn't care to come here...I wonder how many others feel the same. I wonder if it's because more jobs might be vacant at the end of the season & higher caliber coaches are holding their breathes for a Michigan type HC job...

If he was waiting for other jobs to open, then he would have been hedging his bets. If he doesn't think he can win here, then we shouldn't him.

If he was waiting for other jobs to open, then he would have been hedging his bets. If he doesn't think he can win here, then we shouldn't him.

Maybe this will humble some of our fans who view Minnesota as "THE" top notch BCS Job right now when it's clearly we will have some good competition in a few weeks & don't need this "better then" attitude. My biggest fear is that this whole "Tubby Smith Type Hire" will end up biting Maturi in the ass & we'll end up settling.

I say go after Belloti *RIGHT NOW*. He has shown signs of interest and is a proven coach who we should pursue while no one else is in position to look. We fired a coach mid-season we might as well take advantage of it...

He was interested... they weren't in him, so this is his way of sort-of saving face.

I'm not surprised, since by most accounts he is not interested in rebuilding a team from the ground up. My gut tells me we'll go with a younger coach; someone you could reasonably expect to be here at least 10 years.

Agree 100% - Bellotti should be #1 on our wish list of non-active coaches

Well, at least we can cross him off now, which, in some way, I'm kind of relieved about; could have been good, could have been a disaster.

I think today (I seem to change daily), my top three (outside of the unattainables) are Golden, Calhoun, and Belotti.

It is probably not fair but I have to think the "Fulmer Cup" attaches a lot of negative baggage to Fulmer and makes him less attractive as a hire.

That was my first reaction, too. If true, that's a sign that our administration is swinging for the fences, rather than trying to bunt their way onto first. Now if we could only get a similar statement out of Marc Trestman!:cool:

Perhaps Trestman is still on the "Short List".

For some reason, his name keeps coming up. Perhaps there's some well connected boosters pushing for him. I don't see it and he could easily be in my bottom 2 or 3 along with Mike Grant.

So if Fulmer is not a good fit, perhaps they have another big fish on the line? I have not heard any more on Richt, Golden, or Sumlin, so I'll take that as a positive.

He was interested... they weren't in him, so this is his way of sort-of saving face.

Assuming this is correct, I am glad to hear it as well. I do not think that Fulmer would have had the energy needed to rebuild this program. He was a great coach in his day, but I think his best coaching days are behind him. MN needs an up and coming coach and not a "has been."

Perhaps Trestman is still on the "Short List".

For some reason, his name keeps coming up. Perhaps there's some well connected boosters pushing for him. I don't see it and he could easily be in my bottom 2 or 3 along with Mike Grant.

So if Fulmer is not a good fit, perhaps they have another big fish on the line? I have not heard any more on Richt, Golden, or Sumlin, so I'll take that as a positive.

The last time we let "well connected boosters" call the shots, we wound up playing in the metrodump for a quarter century. Clowns like that are also the reason we have a state of the art boathouse for women's rowing while Siebert field ought to be condemned. And don't get me started about Darth Voelz and the separate Womens athletic dept. Thank you very much, Mr. & Mrs. Ridder.

Boosters making decisions for the athletic dept are akin to the role the father of the bride plays in planning a wedding. Just STFU and write out the checks. Anything else usually ends up badly.

Not asking you to name names, but you have an idea of where the search is going don't you?

Ok so I get he is 60, and from the South. If he was interested, and we told him we were not interested, please let me assume that means we have our goals set higher?

I'm on the Belotti Bus now, as my Fulmer Freighter appears to have sailed in to the night.

nobody died when Brian Kelly lied....wait, someone did.

For various reasons, I a little lukewarm about Fulmer, although he is in my top 10 list. I also think Belotti would be a good choice if we can't get one of the wonder kids to sign on. My reasons for a Belotti hire are that it has become obvious there are some structural problems with the program like position coaches talking to the refs and behaving a little amateurish on the sideline, too much screwing around by players before and during the game, a questionable strength and conditioning program (some players have excelled, while others don't improve) and a dedication to everything it takes to win seems to be missing (and I blame the U culture for part of that problem).

A no-nonsense guy like Belotti that knows how to put a winning program together would benefit the Gophers for years to come. If he can commit to at least 5 years and groom his successor, I'll be very happy. This isn't to say there aren't other good hires for us, it's these are some of the reasons Belotti would be good for the Gophers.

I'm not on any bus yet, but most of the names that have been mentioned seem pretty good. I'd be excited about Belotti coming here though.

Ok so I get he is 60, and from the South. If he was interested, and we told him we were not interested, please let me assume that means we have our goals set higher?

I'm on the Belotti Bus now, as my Fulmer Freighter appears to have sailed in to the night.

I'll feel so much better after we contact Belotti...

I'll be pissed if we turned down Fulmer & end up with Trestman...

Not asking you to name names, but you have an idea of where the search is going don't you?

Not outside of them digging around on many candidates, including Edsall & Mullen... and have heard a) Sumlin's name from too many people to not believe that he's very much in the mix, & b) Mike Leach is not in the mix.

Will add on Fulmer... with Maturi talking to so many people, there are some who like Fulmer... but there are some who also like Trestman... still a way better chance that Fulmer has more interest in them, compared to the flip-side.

Will add on Fulmer... with Maturi talking to so many people, there are some who like Fulmer... but there are some who also like Trestman... still a way better chance that Fulmer has more interest in them, compared to the flip-side.

Can you perhaps shed some light on why some of these people are so convinced that Trestman is man for the job? Is it based on anything other than him being "one of us"?

It's a pocket of older guys who love the fact that he played here, and was raised here. He has kept in contact with some of these individuals throughout the years, so it's slanted thoughts.

Top Bottom