PFF: The least penalized team in P5 football is....

Even in that first less than stellar season the improvement in penalties from the year before was one of the main things indicating to me that a good football coach had been hired and not just a slick salesman. With all of the sayings, motivational stuff, emphasis on culture, dashes at the end of quarters, etc. it's easy to lose track of the fact that PJ's type of football is pretty basic. He's always preached things like avoid turnovers and penalties, control the clock, contain potential long plays against, big offensive lines. People didn't pay enough attention to his early praise of Jim Tressel.

I hope you’re being sarcastic - PJ let out a few bombs during the game.

Tied with Iowa for fewest penalties per game. Purdue has the least total penalties in Power 5.

Tied with Iowa for fewest penalties per game. Purdue has the least total penalties in Power 5.

Apparently the West needs to start cheating more. Nebraska, Northwestern, and Wisconsin are also among the least penalized. Only Illinois is down in the bottom rungs in penalties.

I could have swore the other day (bad pun) that he told the ref that the call/spot was BS. Quite bluntly as a matter of fact. ESPN made it a point to tell everyone. Ears are still ringing. So - to not get penalized makes me wonder how salty it has to get to get penalized.... Waxing nostalgic....

One of the ways to measure a team's football IQ is to see how many times they take penalties, especially stupid ones. It's very frustrating to see the team backed up and the drives stalled due to dumb penalties and don't even get me started on personal foul calls!! I would say we are getting a lot smarter and that is a very good thing!

Apparently the West needs to start cheating more. Nebraska, Northwestern, and Wisconsin are also among the least penalized. Only Illinois is down in the bottom rungs in penalties.
Maybe we are cheating.... and that's why the refs aren't flagging us?

The discipline level has been very impressive to see. This team rarely hurts itself with dumb penalties.

I could have swore the other day (bad pun) that he told the ref that the call/spot was BS. Quite bluntly as a matter of fact. ESPN made it a point to tell everyone.

Yeah, here is that moment. An audible "that's bullshit" and several F-bombs from PJ. A standout is "All. F******. Game." Personally, I didn't mind.

Watch from 2:07:35 - 2:09:20:

Edit: Also, Mo's run a few minutes later might be my play of the game.

Last edited:

Again, PJ is looking straight at them, right in the eyes as he is expressing his displeasure. That's such a better approach than cursing away from them. One shows demand/command, the other disgust. Refs usually actually listen to the first. Better, he compliments the refs when they do the right thing. Most of all, in his system, HE is the one to do the complaining. The players, in this culture, show refs cordiality and respect. This matters.

Again, PJ is looking straight at them, right in the eyes as he is expressing his displeasure. That's such a better approach than cursing away from them. One shows demand/command, the other disgust. Refs usually actually listen to the first. Better, he compliments the refs when they do the right thing. Most of all, in his system, HE is the one to do the complaining. The players, in this culture, show refs cordiality and respect. This matters.
How about we just go with a HC swearing is no big deal and not some ridiculous explanation about how his approach to swearing is better than others.

I am all for letting refs know they made the wrong call. I don't think you need to swear to do that. And I really don't see how swearing in their face is better than doing it away from them.

Why did the clock stop at the end of this play? It was a good 20 seconds until Auburn called a timeout?

Why did the clock stop at the end of this play? It was a good 20 seconds until Auburn called a timeout?

Never can see from TV when Auburn calls time out just see when announcers PJ and the ref on that side figure out time has been called. Could be it was called right away and it took longer than normal to communicate to our sideline.

Yeah, here is that moment. An audible "that's bullshit" and several F-bombs from PJ. A standout is "All. F******. Game." Personally, I didn't mind.

Watch from 2:07:35 - 2:09:20:

Edit: Also, Mo's run a few minutes later might be my play of the game.

Neither did I !!

Clocks were effed up and the refs weren't stopping to correct. PJ had to go ballistic. Game clock stopped at 2:10 for the first down but the play clock was not stopped and only had about 20 seconds left once they restarted the game clock. PJ going apey got it done.

Never can see from TV when Auburn calls time out just see when announcers PJ and the ref on that side figure out time has been called. Could be it was called right away and it took longer than normal to communicate to our sideline.
I don't think it was called right away. Both teams are near the line of scrimmage getting set for the next play, the Gophers are scrambling a bit to get the proper players on the field. Gus is strolling along the side line, and PJ is yelling at the ref about the clock. If it was called right away, both head coaches, the players on the field, and the announcers didn't know about it. 20 seconds at that point of the game is a big deal. PJ gets mad, and when clock issues happened on the next play is when he let loose at the sideline ref.

How about we just go with a HC swearing is no big deal and not some ridiculous explanation about how his approach to swearing is better than others.
I don't give a shit if he swears. And you totally misrepresented what I said, and why?

I don't give a shit if he swears. And you totally misrepresented what I said, and why?
Huh? You literally said his approach of looking at the ref is “such a better way.” I’m honestly not sure how I misrepresented anything.

Huh? You literally said his approach of looking at the ref is “such a better way.” I’m honestly not sure how I misrepresented anything.
Go argue stupid inane stuff on the OT Board. Not here.

Top Bottom