PFF: Highest Graded Offensive Tackles

SHGopher

Reaction score

Good for Ersery. Hopefully even better next year.
Stating the obvious, nice to see a Twin Cities kid (Holy Angels?) at no. 1. Too bad the Gophs never had (or took) a real shot at him.

Good for Ersery. Hopefully even better next year.
Stating the obvious, nice to see a Twin Cities kid (Holy Angels?) at no. 1. Too bad the Gophs never had (or took) a real shot at him.
Curious why you think the Gophers didn't take a shot at Alt? I have to assume they did their best but pretty tough when going head to head with Notre Dame. There is a pull to that place for a lot of guys.

Curious why you think the Gophers didn't take a shot at Alt? I have to assume they did their best but pretty tough when going head to head with Notre Dame. There is a pull to that place for a lot of guys.
I just don’t remember much about our trying to get him. Maybe the Gophs just assumed it was impossible (Alt’s dad played football at Iowa and was a first round pick in the NFL, but his brother played hockey for the Gophers). There was some uncertainty about position: TE or OT. We just never seemed in the mix.

Riley Mahlmann was the number 1 recruit in Minnesota Alt’s year. Alt was number 2, Deven Eastern was number 3. It felt like neither Mahlmann or Alt even feigned interest in the Gophers (my memory may be bad or jaded, though).

Last edited:

I just don’t remember much about our trying to get him. Maybe the Gophs just assumed it was impossible (Alt’s dad played football at Iowa and was a first round pick in the NFL, but his brother played hockey for the Gophers). There was some uncertainty about position: TE or OT. We just never seemed in the mix.

Riley Mahlmann was the number 1 recruit in Minnesota Alt’s year. Alt was number 2, Deven Eastern was number 3. It felt like neither Mahlmann or Alt even feigned interest in the Gophers (my memory may be bad or jaded, though).
I think your memory is fine in terms of those guys not showing us much interest but that doesn't mean the Gopher staff didn't try to get them to come here. At some point you have to cut your loses though and move on to more realistic targets when you know it isn't likely to happen with certain guys.

Looks like we offered Alt the fall of his junior year and he committed to ND the following summer. Doesn’t look like he had a ton of offers and I’m guessing he got a big ratings boost when ND jumped on him and he was reevaluated. We were the first P5 to offer I think.

Looks like we offered Alt the fall of his junior year and he committed to ND the following summer. Doesn’t look like he had a ton of offers and I’m guessing he got a big ratings boost when ND jumped on him and he was reevaluated. We were the first P5 to offer I think.
You see so many turbulent stories with recruiting. Alt's journey has been very positive. He was a late bloomer with a few big offers, I am sure his fathers connections with coaches helped. He played TE in HS and had 1 TD, his father had like 50 TD's for Columbia Heights. Three starting tackles went down at ND his freshman year and became a starter. He gained a bunch of weight and now is one of the largest lineman in the country. Good for him.

I know Alt has declared but not sure on any of the others. Ersery a potential first round talent?
He definitely will be considered for first round as he continues to improve - per that article in Gopher Sports, which I posted when it first broke, he was rated the highest ranked O Lineman in all of the B10.

I think that keeping him with the NIL is more impressive than keeping Taylor, as a great OT are much rarer than great RBs.

Fleck has been saying Ersery was a big time, NFL-level talent since before he was a starter. Been a great anchor of the line for a couple years and it’s nice to see external data validating that.

Top Bottom