Peterson: The ceiling for each Big Ten team in 2024 (Minnesota: Ceiling: 8-4)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Peterson:

Minnesota Golden Gophers​

Minnesota enters a strange year with PJ Fleck. After consecutive 9-win seasons, Minnesota finished just 3-6 in conference play last fall and had its worst offensive season since 2011. The quarterback position was a complete mess, prompting Fleck to bring in New Hampshire graduate transfer Max Brosmer. In 31 career starts at the FCS level, Brosmer threw for 8,000 yards and 69 touchdowns against 19 picks. Last year, he was a finalist for the Walter Payton Award as the FCS level’s top individual offensive player. Minnesota should have a deep and talented running back rotation as well. Another poor year and Fleck will be questioned — fair or not. But the Gophers have a chance to make noise. They should be 3-0 entering conference play. They’ll face Iowa, Michigan (road), USC, and UCLA (road) before a bye week. Neither of the L.A. schools looks nearly as formidable as they did a year ago, and with USC at home, Minnesota could maybe steal both games.

Ceiling: 8-4

Go Gophers!!

If we are talking true ceiling, it's got to be 10-2 with losses to Michigan and Penn State, but then again who really had us beating Penn State before the 2019 season… always a chance

I love how this guy assumes we will beat UNC. I think, barring key injuries, we should have a very good chance—home game and no Drake Maye—but hate to take a tough opener for granted.

I love how this guy assumes we will beat UNC. I think, barring key injuries, we should have a very good chance—home game and no Drake Maye—but hate to take a tough opener for granted.
I'm just not that impressed with UNC at 8-5 last year. Gophs definitely had opportunities in that game.

I'm just not that impressed with UNC at 8-5 last year. Gophs definitely had opportunities in that game.
Seriously? Gophers were down 14 early and never cut it below 8 and were outgained by over 200 yards…

Seriously? Gophers were down 14 early and never cut it below 8 and were outgained by over 200 yards…
The opportunities were there on offense but our quarterback sucked. If we generated any relevant offense it would've kept Maye and our defense off the field. I saw it too, the opportunities were there but the offense dicked it away. Our success has always stemmed from the offense controlling the clock and keeping our defense fresh. It was a huge contributor as to why we were not good last year. This is why some of us hammer on the idea of Brosmer not having to be a superhero, just move the sticks at a nice clip with some good short to mid passes and rip defenses on a deep playaction every once in awhile to keep em honest.

While the premise of these types of articles is pretty stupid the Maryland blurb did inspire me to look up Taulia from Maryland and turns out despite being a good college QB and record-setter for Maryland he went undrafted.

Oregon 12-0 is interesting. They did get a very productive QB transfer from Oklahoma. Their game versus Ohio State will be a monster event.

Looking at the MN schedule boy, that first half will be telling. Knowing nothing about how tough Michigan, UCLA, Iowa, USC will be I’d be hesitant to make any bold predictions until we see what we have on the back seven of the defense, and at QB/WR/TE. No idea. I’m hopeful.

Yeah and now that we got rid of the shitty DC who couldn’t teach the secondary to cover guys we should have that cleaned up

Don't discount the fact Rossi gave them one free TD and another long gain while his defense was standing around on the sidelines waiting for substitutions and NC was running a play.

Don't discount the fact Rossi gave them one free TD and another long gain while his defense was standing around on the sidelines waiting for substitutions and NC was running a play.
I've got the Gophers, if you do some research on their current QB room it's not hard to see a Gopher win at home in week 1.

Was North Carolina our worst game last year or just one of them? We are better than that.
To be 8 and 4 we need to win the opener.

That’s all fine and good. If the game was reversed you’d be saying how we killed them and they don’t have a chance this year.

All that said I’d agree they are a totally different team without Maye, who was a top end QB.

Damn it, now that play is bugging me all over again. Rossi had his defense in total disarray, which was inexcusable. But also shocked that PJ, Ia coach who has been clear that he sees no value in saving first half time outs and will call one if the wind shifts or something just doesn't smell right, didn't see fit to use one when that was going on.

Top Bottom