Peterson: My post-spring Big Ten quarterback rankings entering 2024 (16. Athan Kaliakmanis, Rutgers; 9. Max Brosmer, Minnesota)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Peterson:

16. Athan Kaliakmanis, Rutgers​

One thing I like — Kaliakmanis won the starting job in the spring after transferring in from Minnesota, beating out Gavin Wimsatt. Wimsatt started 18 games over the previous 2 years for the Scarlet Knights, helping set a foundation for optimism this offseason. But the passing game was super spotty with him at the controls and Kaliakmanis always looked like an immediate upgrade in that regard. Wimsatt would grow or Rutgers would move to the former Gopher. More of a pocket passer, Kaliakmanis has thrown for 2,784 yards and 17 touchdowns in his career. He also has previous history with offensive coordinator Kirk Ciarrocca, who recruited him to Minnesota as a high school prospect and coached him there in 2022.

9. Max Brosmer, Minnesota​

One thing I like — We’ve seen FCS quarterbacks jump to the FBS level in recent years and look smooth in doing so. I like the tools Brosmer has and he comes to Minnesota with monster numbers. In 36 career games at New Hampshire, Brosmer threw for 8,713 yards and 70 touchdowns while completing 62% of his passes. He threw 12 picks and posted a sub-60% completion rate during his freshman season, but he has just 13 total interceptions since and has boosted his completion rate in each of his last 2 seasons while operating within an offense that placed a huge burden on his shoulders.

Go Gophers!!

While we all had high hopes for AK, his most recent experience predominantly was high school ball. Whereas Brosmer has a nice track record at one level below D1. Whiskey got a pretty good season out of Russell Wilson who came over from Connecticut, and he was probably ranked 9th best B10 QB in preseason ratings.

While we all had high hopes for AK, his most recent experience predominantly was high school ball. Whereas Brosmer has a nice track record at one level below D1. Whiskey got a pretty good season out of Russell Wilson who came over from Connecticut, and he was probably ranked 9th best B10 QB in preseason ratings.
Wilson was from NC State and had HUGE numbers before going to Wisconsin. He was ranked near the top of the B10 Qbs and performed to expectations. If Max is 70% of Wilson I'll be happy!

Pretty fair list....still amazing the number of new faces at QB across the conference. Most of the conference will have a new starter and in many of those cases that new starter is also in their first year at the school. It is becoming a rarity to see a QB commit to a place, develop and then step into the starting role. It happens but those cases are becoming much less common with the crazy QB carousel that takes place every year.

Wilson was from NC State and had HUGE numbers before going to Wisconsin. He was ranked near the top of the B10 Qbs and performed to expectations. If Max is 70% of Wilson I'll be happy!
I stand corrected...not sure why I thought he was from Connecticut. Regardless, sloppy of me. Apologies to everyone. Yes, HUGE numbers at Madison. From Wikipedia:

1715792532695.png

Pretty fair list....still amazing the number of new faces at QB across the conference. Most of the conference will have a new starter and in many of those cases that new starter is also in their first year at the school. It is becoming a rarity to see a QB commit to a place, develop and then step into the starting role. It happens but those cases are becoming much less common with the crazy QB carousel that takes place every year.
P.J. Fleck cannot afford to coddle up to one QB. He must constantly recruit better QBs.

I think COVID also has something to do with it.

Lotta guys lost a lot of time in HS.

Pretty fair ranking considering the added teams to the conference. I think the 9, 8 and 7 slots are possibly interchangeable, too, Chiles has a very small resume with not much experience and we'll have to see how Raiola does as a freshman. Though both seem to have high ceilings.

Top Bottom