Petersen Contacted?

Duluthguy

Reaction score
Found this in an article about possible Miami candidates in the Miami Herald:

• Chris Petersen -- Boise State coach who led Broncos to a 10-1 record this season and 59-5 record since 2006. Petersen, a former offensive coordinator, runs a creative, prolific offense that is currently No. 2 in scoring (46.3 ppg). Petersen's name continually comes up in coaching searches. He told The Idaho Statesman on Monday that other schools have contacted him recently, but he would not disclose specifics. ``I have had no real discussions,'' he told The Statesman. ``. . . Who knows what happens down the road, but I know we have a good thing here and I don't take that for granted.''

I would think Peterson would be someone he should inquire about.

to me that sounds like he would be willing to leave and take another job!

He should cash in now and take Bryan Harsin with him.

The first wave of reality hits Boise State next year. And the second wave could hit as soon as 2012. Their road to a "unbeaten" or "1-loss" season is about to get several-times more difficult.

I can't believe no one ever mentions this in the context of Petersen leaving:
Trading in LA Tech, Idaho, Utah State, New Mexico State and San Jose State for Air Force, San Diego State, Colorado State, UNLV, New Mexico and Wyoming is a major game-changer for Boise State.

And then if that CUSA-MWC football merger happens the next year, any advantage BSU has enjoyed for the last decade has completely disappeared in just 20 months.

Conference USA has more cupcakes then a corner Bakery.

He should take the job. One loss seasons in the big ten generally get you a BCS game, undefeated, national title games.

He wouldn't have to worry about being from a crap conf. anymore.

he is the best coach in the country.

Better then that thug magnet Urban Meyer.

I am pretty well sold on Peterson as well. I worry though, the last two Boise coaches to venture away from Smurf Stadium have run into buzz saws. Dirk Koetter at ASU, and Dan Hawkins at Colorado. Both of those schools recently have been more powerful than the U of M. Both of those guys came from Boise State, and both of them were relieved of duties.

I am not looking to start controversy or an anti Peterson rant, I really just want some honest answers about why Peterson will turn out differently.

I am pretty well sold on Peterson as well. I worry though, the last two Boise coaches to venture away from Smurf Stadium have run into buzz saws. Dirk Koetter at ASU, and Dan Hawkins at Colorado. Both of those schools recently have been more powerful than the U of M. Both of those guys came from Boise State, and both of them were relieved of duties.

I am not looking to start controversy or an anti Peterson rant, I really just want some honest answers about why Peterson will turn out differently.

I think you do bring up a legitimate question. Another thread made mention of a lack of recruiting skills as well.

Personally I would be happy with the hire, but I am reserved in my expectations if he were the one.

I think you do bring up a legitimate question. Another thread made mention of a lack of recruiting skills as well.

Personally I would be happy with the hire, but I am reserved in my expectations if he were the one.

Not recruiting well? The only people that don't think he recruits well haven't seen them play. To me it looks like he recruited a real good QB, a dominate WR in Pettis, running backs that have good vision and speed, and a line on both sides that move you. Not to mention a 1st round corner in Kyle Wilson. Just because the recruiting sites don't give them a high ranking doesn't mean he isn't recruiting well.

I understand the concern. But if the Gopher basketball job were open right now, would you shoot down Mark Few? Just because it happened once or even twice doesn't have to reflect on Petersen. Especially not when he's been there as long as he as and won that many games.

I am a fan . . .

of the way he can scheme and "coach em up." I don't know if there are too many better at figuring out how to slice and dice and opponents defense. He and his staff also seem to have the ability to take lower rated players and coach em up good.

What I don't know about is his ability to recruit. I have seen a couple of sources say that he is a very private guy and that he really does not like to recruit. Add to this that his current recruiting base is the west coast and the mormon country of Utah and southern Idaho which may make it harder to get his players to come east of the mountains, or make it harder for mom and dad to get to the games and so they don't want their kid to go east of the mountains, and you may have a problem. I hear he relies on assistants to do the bulk of the recruiting - as many coaches do - so you have the concern that the recruiter may leave as well.

I wouldn't be dissappointed if he were named coach - in fact I would prefer it to many of the names out there. It just seems that the longer this process goes on, the more you are able to spot the weaknesses in each candidate and Petersen appears to have at least this issue. On balance, if he wants to come here and can bring the guy who recruited Kellen Moore, I will drive out and pick him and the family up on Monday. There aren't too many candidates I would say that about.

One of the reasons I wanted Bellotti so much is that it seemed clear that if Peterson stays at Boise, Bryan Harsin is gonna wanna leave soon and pick up a bigger paycheck. Bellotti would likely have brought the architect of that amazing Boise attack here.

(sigh)

They didn't get to play on the blue turf at their new schools. I think having a non-green color turf distracts the opponents. Maybe Petersen and a gold turf would be a winning recipe.

They didn't get to play on the blue turf at their new schools. I think having a non-green color turf distracts the opponents. Maybe Petersen and a gold turf would be a winning recipe.

They have beat people off the blue turf, including Oklahoma in a BSC game.

I thought I read that D1 schools are no longer allowed to have a colored field other than green, and Boise is grandfathered in?

If not I think we should have a dark maroon field with dark maroon uniforms and then we see stories like, "Badger offense Marooned in Minneapolis."

He has got to be the guy we are waiting for to finish the season. Everyone made it like he is untouchable, but in this interview he states "who knows" which is coach speak for I am outta here!! I think the deal is done and the press conf is on Monday.

Interesting that he lost last weeekend and on Monday there's the rumor of Pres. B saying "We've got our man." Maybe that sealed the deal - no more championship, no more Rose Bowl.

I thought I read that D1 schools are no longer allowed to have a colored field other than green, and Boise is grandfathered in?

If not I think we should have a dark maroon field with dark maroon uniforms and then we see stories like, "Badger offense Marooned in Minneapolis."

Eastern Washington plays on a blood red turf. It's kind of freaky.

Do they do this stuff just to mess with our heads?
other schools have contacted him recently
- There are only about three or four schools that would even consider contacting him (Minnesota being one of them).
"I have had no real discussions"
- Why the qualifier "real"?
Who knows what happens down the road
- Countless coaches have denied looking at leaving more forcefully that this just to be sitting at a press conference at a different school a few days later.

I think it's an extreme long shot that he ends up at Minnesota, but if I was a Boise St. fan I would start preparing to find a new coach soon. it sure looks like he would like to try something new.

Interesting that he lost last weeekend and on Monday there's the rumor of Pres. B saying "We've got our man." Maybe that sealed the deal - no more championship, no more Rose Bowl.

It's still not clear to me if that report was legit, or a dig playing off of the Brewster in Applebees "We got him" moment.

Top Bottom