Petersen And Boise St.

Duluthguy

Reaction score
Anyone know anything about behind the scenes at Boise St.? I obviously know they have a successful football program, but how about fan and administration support and the other things that would make a coach happy or unhappy? Just looked at their Rivals site and there were three guys on it and the threads didn't have hardly any activity. Also looked like recruiting is much less than stellar. Beyond the success he's having there, is there good reason for Petersen not moving on to a BCS program - say a BCS program that is also in a cold climate?

If we're waiting on someone to finish the season, it could be him as well as anyone. (I know, I know - no way he would ever come here, blah, blah, blah.

I think he'd take the MN job solely on the fact he can get a direct flight to Narita for all those teaching trips :)

Kidding, of course. Or is it a smokescreen?

This smokescreen?

smokescreen.jpg

or this one?
smokescreen.jpg

I know a local resident and big fan. (Even though he graduated from Oregon State, he's adopted the team that plays on the big blue beach blanket.) I haven't talked with him a lot on the subject, but he left me with the impression of great local public support...including a media that boosterizes the program - e.g. not reporting trouble that the athletes get in, etc. That's obviously a big contrast with Minneapolis.

I know a local resident and big fan. (Even though he graduated from Oregon State, he's adopted the team that plays on the big blue beach blanket.) I haven't talked with him a lot on the subject, but he left me with the impression of great local public support...including a media that boosterizes the program - e.g. not reporting trouble that the athletes get in, etc. That's obviously a big contrast with Minneapolis.

I know the CC coach there. Former Gopher assistant. If this thing drags into tuesday I might have to get ahold of him to see if he knows anything. After DP's epic plane chase, it's the least I can do to help out the hunt.

Would we have to change the grass on the playing field from green to gold or maroon?

I live in BroncoLand. There are few Boise Junior College grads. One of the easiest schools in the country to get into (got a check book?) yet has highest flunk out rate in the WAC. Peterson is a very private guy, kind of shy and off putting, not big on the local speaker circuit (unlike Dan Hawkins who everyone wanted as a guest speaker). Coach Pete is not much of a recruiter (they have a staff position for that and the assistants). He likes Boise because the personal demands are relatively low. Doubt that he would like the big city lights and demands thereof. Not paticularly good at connecting with local high school coachs but there's not a lot of local talent anyway, their top players are out of state. But he has a great offensive coaching mind and the locale is great for attracting assistants and keeping them.

I live in BroncoLand. There are few Boise Junior College grads. One of the easiest schools in the country to get into (got a check book?) yet has highest flunk out rate in the WAC. Peterson is a very private guy, kind of shy and off putting, not big on the local speaker circuit (unlike Dan Hawkins who everyone wanted as a guest speaker). Coach Pete is not much of a recruiter (they have a staff position for that and the assistants). He likes Boise because the personal demands are relatively low. Doubt that he would like the big city lights and demands thereof. Not paticularly good at connecting with local high school coachs but there's not a lot of local talent anyway, their top players are out of state. But he has a great offensive coaching mind and the locale is great for attracting assistants and keeping them.

Ahhh...some of what you say sounds a little like Mason, who really set back recruiting in MN.

Top Bottom