Peter Mortell

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
Did he get hurt last night? Or was he pulled because his kicks were horrible? Not sure if people noticed but Santoso was the punter on the last kick.

Read the threads, he wasn't hurt, benched due to poor punts.

That's funny because his last punt was the one that was muffed into the endzone right? I thought that was his best kick of the night. Then they bench him? Or was santoso in for that one too?

Really? Mortell is one of the best punters in the country, play the man

Santoso is a hell of a kicker, but not so much as a punter. The Santoso punt on the last kick wasn't too great either, put MI in great field position.

Mortell is not one of the best punters in the country. He kicks a lot of line drives that are easily returnable. He was also apparently kicking away from the coverage.

Santoso is a hell of a kicker, but not so much as a punter. The Santoso punt on the last kick wasn't too great either, put MI in great field position.

This season Mortell has looked horrible much of the time.

The Mortell fan boys will never see it. I said it before but he's like a gunslinger QB that has some great TD throws but also has a tendency to throw Pick sixes. I'll take a high kick, 35 yards, over these ridiculous line drive shanks every time.

I want to know where all the "Peter Mortell will absolutely get drafted" guys are from last year that were giving me sh!t for saying he was only slightly above average. Last year at least when he kicked a line drive kick he kicked it away from the receiver so it would bounce and add 15 yards to his punt average. This year its like he's throwing the ball right to them.

So was he not hurt and replaced as the coach said or was he hurt and in street clothes in the 4th quarter as someone else mentioned. If he was benched and changed clothes because he knew he was out the game that is an entire another story line

Mortell has not been good this year. I have no issue having Santoso punt. It didn't work out, but I didn't want another line drive that could have been returned. Santoso is the back up punter and practices it every day. The coaches know what he can do and expected a longer punt than he gave with the same hang time. The #1 goal was to not have it returned and they weren't comfortable that PM37 would do that. I wasn't either.

Where Mortell excels is punting inside the 20. That was only the second touchback all season for him. And that one was a few feet from going out of bounds inside the 5 yard line.

How do you know he isn't a hell of a punter. I have seen some incredible punts in practice from Ryan. I'm actually surprised that change didn't happen earlier this season with the line drives Pete has been punting. Let's not forgot that gave MI a 30-yard field earlier in the game.

So was he not hurt and replaced as the coach said or was he hurt and in street clothes in the 4th quarter as someone else mentioned. If he was benched and changed clothes because he knew he was out the game that is an entire another story line

He was not in street clothes during the game. We sit on the gopher sideline.

He was not in street clothes during the game. We sit on the gopher sideline.

Correct. He had warm up pants on over his pads but he was definitely still dressed.

I thought he might have gotten hurt when he had to tackle Peppers

His awesome twitter posts give him an extra 9 yards per punt in my book.

Mortell was smacked down hard by Peppers. He looked shaken coming off the field.

At the post-game press conference Claeys said he had a leg injury.

I'm personally getting sick of the 1-2 line drives he kicks every game. He's fine when he's kicking shorting and pinning players deep. In fact, he's excellent. He's terrible when he's asked to punt it 50 yards.

He's not one of the best in the country. At least not this year.

I'm personally getting sick of the 1-2 line drives he kicks every game. He's fine when he's kicking shorting and pinning players deep. In fact, he's excellent. He's terrible when he's asked to punt it 50 yards.

He's not one of the best in the country. At least not this year.

This is so spot on. It is for this reason I have no issues with TC using Santoso.

This is so spot on. It is for this reason I have no issues with TC using Santoso.

I don't either, but I wouldn't have put him in for his first punt ever from the endzone.

Mortell was hurt. He was absolutely flattened by Peppers on a punt return.
I don't get the smoke screen.

Mortell was hurt. He was absolutely flattened by Peppers on a punt return.
I don't get the smoke screen.
No. From the Strib:

Claeys decided not to use All-Big Ten punter Peter Mortell for an important punt in the fourth quarter. On Sunday, Claeys stood by his decision to use Ryan Santoso, re-iterating that the move wasn’t injury related.

“[Mortell] did have a leg injury the previous week, but he punted all this week,” Claeys said. “The reason we changed is off his [second] punt, he didn’t put the ball where he’s supposed to. It’s been a problem.”

http://www.startribune.com/claeys-b...ng-ball-stands-by-key-punting-decision/339168

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

I love Mortel with his personality, giving back etc...but nobody is above benching

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Doogie Wolfson just tweeted he has learned that Mortell had a "procedure" done on his knee during the bye week which could explain why he has had a less than stellar stretch during the middle of the season.

That last punt from the endzone that gave scUM great field position for the go ahead TD wasn't on Santoso.

It was on the offensive play calling and ML7. Taking that 15 yard loss on 3rd and 6 was horrible. Lead late in the game...make the other team drive the whole field. Should have run on 3rd down and punt if we don't get it. The drop back was doomed with scUM bringing 2 blitzers. Another Claeys is learning play...hope he learns fast!

Top Bottom