Pete Najarin for AD

millions2spare

Krav-Maga
Reaction score
This hire shows that Coyle cannot sell Minnesota to any quality coach looking for a Big Job. PJ was a good hire and time will tell if it is sustainable or if he will stay. It is much easier to turn a basketball program into a power than football. Coyle messed up by not hiring Musselman two years ago. He choose to extended Richard. He needs to pay for this mistake. Instead, we all pay by putting up with Ben for 5 more years of mediocrity.

He had to have worked the phones and this is all he came up with? I was more excited when they hired Richard.
Pete Najarian loves the U, Loves Minnesota, does not need the money and knows what it takes to win.
He would attract the type of candidates for basketball that would bring this program to national Status. As long as Coyle in in charge our teams will be one half notch above Joel Maturi level. Maybe this is good enough for the administration but the fans will need to rise up and ask for accountability at the top, starting with Coyle.

Bring on Pete!

This hire shows that Coyle cannot sell Minnesota to any quality coach looking for a Big Job. PJ was a good hire and time will tell if it is sustainable or if he will stay. It is much easier to turn a basketball program into a power than football. Coyle messed up by not hiring Musselman two years ago. He choose to extended Richard. He needs to pay for this mistake. Instead, we all pay by putting up with Ben for 5 more years of mediocrity.

He had to have worked the phones and this is all he came up with? I was more excited when they hired Richard.
Pete Najarian loves the U, Loves Minnesota, does not need the money and knows what it takes to win.
He would attract the type of candidates for basketball that would bring this program to national Status. As long as Coyle in in charge our teams will be one half notch above Joel Maturi level. Maybe this is good enough for the administration but the fans will need to rise up and ask for accountability at the top, starting with Coyle.

Bring on Pete!

You incessant self-promoter!!

You know this because, how does he run his practices, does he focus on individual development or team drills or both. Does he just let the team scrimmage and does his teaching that way. Is he any good at identifying and correcting shooting gliches. What emphasis will he put on defense, both wing and post defense. How well will he be preparing game plans especially because most in game coaching happens before the game starts. You must have intimate knowledge of this because you are so sure Johnson is going to fail.

Coyle made a political correct hire to appease the same people who called for defunding the police.....Minnesota has been set back at least 5 years or more.
We might get 14th instead of 13th

We might get stuck where we are at but it is hard to be set back when you’re already in the back.

I’m so tired of the doom and gloom surrounding this hire. I refuse to get so upset over something I have no control over. I for one am really excited about the potential Johnson brings to this program. The decision has been made, he’s our coach. Get over it and support him.

I’m so tired of the doom and gloom surrounding this hire. I refuse to get so upset over something I have no control over. I for one am really excited about the potential Johnson brings to this program. The decision has been made, he’s our coach. Get over it and support him.

You're way too maturi to be on a fan site

It's a really bad hire for too much money. It may work out, but odds are it won't. Just a head scratcher really.

It's a really bad hire for too much money. It may work out, but odds are it won't. Just a head scratcher really.
We don’t know yet that it’s a bad hire. We have to wait and see. I was shocked by the decision like everyone else but if he can really recruit locally we may have found a gem.

Doesn't necessarily mean he couldn't sell MN to another coach. Coyle made the choice. Other head coaches were reported to have interviewed for the job. That means they had interest and didn't say no to an interview. Maybe it was contract, or money, or recruiting that made Coyle's decision. I don't know if he'll come out and say what swayed him but he did the interviews so he knows better than anyone on this forum.

This. Any of us sitting here claiming one coach or another is going to be successful is full of crap, myself included. But it's just like recruiting. You sign a flashy, 5-star guy, and what is the success rate, like 60%? What is the success rate of signing a 4-star guy? Like 50%? And a 3-star, maybe 35%? I'm just making up numbers, but the point is that the likelihood of a 5-star guy being a star is higher than the likelihood of a 3-star guy being a star, which is why you try and get them. Can a 3-star guy be player of the year, while the 5-star guy never pans out and is a bench warmer? For sure. But it only makes sense to play the odds.

Coaching hires are the exact same way. It's possible Johnson may be a great hire, but what is the success rate of assistants that never had head coaching experience before? Now compare that with some of the other candidates that have had successful head coaching stops. The likelihood of them being successful is higher. It doesn't guarantee success here, but at least it improves our odds.

Watched the press conference and it seems that the athletic program is in lockstep with the direction it is moving. Assistant pool seems to be where Coyle is stepping up. Coyle doesn't want over night success (he will take it) he wants to build programs and champions.

email pete if you tailgate in the Skiumah lot. Be ready for him to come by and laugh with u for 5 min. He is all in on game day.

I agree. Another posted stated this theory, but I think it was out of Coyles hands. I believe the powers that be were persuaded by recent local newspaper articles which caught a little bit of national attention about diversity at the school.

It was confirmed Gates interviewed, it wouldn't surprise me if he and coyle had a discussion about this and Gates suggested he add to the minority coaching pool instead of trying to hire Gates and then keeping the number the same potentially.

Craig Smith was suppose to interview this week, that was widely reported, based on the timeline of the articles from Utah, I don't believe he ever got the chance to interview.

So yes, I don't put this on Coyle. My guess is he was given a mulligan if this doesn't work out.

I agree. Another posted stated this theory, but I think it was out of Coyles hands. I believe the powers that be were persuaded by recent local newspaper articles which caught a little bit of national attention about diversity at the school.

It was confirmed Gates interviewed, it wouldn't surprise me if he and coyle had a discussion about this and Gates suggested he add to the minority coaching pool instead of trying to hire Gates and then keeping the number the same potentially.

Craig Smith was suppose to interview this week, that was widely reported, based on the timeline of the articles from Utah, I don't believe he ever got the chance to interview.

So yes, I don't put this on Coyle. My guess is he was given a mulligan if this doesn't work out.
Gates declined an interview here

This. Any of us sitting here claiming one coach or another is going to be successful is full of crap, myself included. But it's just like recruiting. You sign a flashy, 5-star guy, and what is the success rate, like 60%? What is the success rate of signing a 4-star guy? Like 50%? And a 3-star, maybe 35%? I'm just making up numbers, but the point is that the likelihood of a 5-star guy being a star is higher than the likelihood of a 3-star guy being a star, which is why you try and get them. Can a 3-star guy be player of the year, while the 5-star guy never pans out and is a bench warmer? For sure. But it only makes sense to play the odds.

Coaching hires are the exact same way. It's possible Johnson may be a great hire, but what is the success rate of assistants that never had head coaching experience before? Now compare that with some of the other candidates that have had successful head coaching stops. The likelihood of them being successful is higher. It doesn't guarantee success here, but at least it improves our odds.
See my post in the hiring thread. I looked at BIG coaches since 2000. About 30% 11 of 33 or 10 of 32 without Painter) of prior HC success were successful in BIG and about 40% (3 of 7 or 4 of 8 if you include Painter)with no HC experience were successful.

Najarian is a douche. Big gopher fan doesn’t equal great or good AD.

In typical GH fashion, the short knives are out again.

So Coyle set Minnesota back? Nothing to do with Pitino? Ok
Everything to do with pitino. That's the point. Big expectations for this hire which many state was 2-4 years overdue. Wasn't looking forward to starting over with another coach with no track record of winning. I guess local recruiting has been the issue this whole time, not coaching.

See my post in the hiring thread. I looked at BIG coaches since 2000. About 30% 11 of 33 or 10 of 32 without Painter) of prior HC success were successful in BIG and about 40% (3 of 7 or 4 of 8 if you include Painter)with no HC experience were successful.
Thank you for the info, I didn't see that in the (very) lengthy thread you posted it in. So essentially, the coaches with no HC experience are as such:

Juwan Howard- Seemingly the outlier, and often who people are pointing to as a successful "no HC experience" guy. High name recognition, very successful collegiate and pro career. Played in national championship game as a player, and won 2 NBA titles as a player. Was also a coach for the Heat during a finals loss.
Tom Izzo- 12 year assistant at MSU under a national championship winning coach.
Chris Collins- 12 year assistant at Duke under a national championship winning coach.
Mike Davis- Bounced around as an assistant at different programs. Took over for Bobby Knight mid-season and was retained. Not a bad run, as he had a .573 winning % in conference. Coached under a national championship winning coach.
Fred Hill (Rutgers)- Not much to say. Rutgers sucked for a long time. His tenure was no different.
Greg Gard- 14 year assistant at UW under the Grinch, as well as assistant with the Grinch prior their arrival in Madison. Coached for a national championship losing coach.

I don't know who the second Rutgers guy was you said didn't have HC experience, because I didn't see any others w/o experience. Either way, it doesn't matter as Rutgers blows.

This list is populated by 3 guys that have a LONG time at one place under a very successful coach (Izzo, Collins, Gard). All were well qualified for a HC job. Howard was a hot name in the NBA circles for future jobs. Michigan definitely rolled the dice. Their version of Lindsay Whalen, but with assistant coaching experience. Davis and Hill are more like the Johnson hire- less assistant experience, more bouncing around. Hill wasn't successful (but it's Rutgers....) and Davis had a decent amount of success, but Indiana has too high of expectations.

3 of 6 coached under a national championship winning head coach. Another 2 either played (Howard) or coached (Gard) in a national championship game (losing). Long story short, I'm not sure a lot can be gleamed from looking at this list, based on their prior experience. Most of these have a much different experience level than Johnson. The closest to Johnson would probably be PSU's new head coach, Fred Hill, Mike Davis, and (maybe) Matt Painter if you ignore his 1-year head coaching gig.

**OK random piece of trivia. Rutgers had two coaches in two different sports that were coaching at the same time with the same name- Fred Hill. The Freds coached basketball and baseball.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Hill_(basketball)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Hill_(coach)

Last edited:

last I heard Pitino worked for Coyle....who also missed on Smith and Musselman..
Smith, maybe. Though Coyle interviewed him and liked Johnson better. If he blew it, he should be held responsible. But Musselman? You’re having a wet dream. Like Buzz Williams the last time around. Those guys aren’t going to even sniff the U of M.

I wasn’t the biggest fan of this hire either, but seriously put down the crack pipe.

Top Bottom