Pet peeve - Mike Grimm

I also enjoyed OSU playing Norfolk State (sorry it was North Florida) and Marquette who was only beating an unnamed team, but Grimm didn't know what their abbreviation meant, probably because it was Norfolk State.

I could go to espn.com and read scores.

Let me get on my soap box for a minute. (I have worked in radio for over 20 years, so I think I can speak on the subject.)

In a 2-man booth, the job of the Play-by-play announcer is to describe the action, and update the game situation (score, time remaining, # of fouls, etc.) The color man is supposed to analyze and comment on the action. One of my gripes with Grimm is that he tries to be his own color man - let the color man do his job. And he complains about the officiating way too much. If there's a call that directly impacts the game, let the color man comment on it.

As far as preparing for games, I'll let you in on a little secret - it's actually easier to prepare for a pro game or a D-1 college game -because those teams have full-time media relations people who provide game notes, stats, info, and access to coaches and players for interviews. Yes, you still have to do your preparation, but it's a lot easier preparing when other people feed you the information. Teams also publish media guides, with player profiles and tons of background information. By comparison, I think it's actually tougher to call a high school game when you don't have access to the same level of information - plus, it's a heck of a lot easier to call a game in good facilities, as compared to a high school pressbox, or a gym where you may be sitting next to some bratty little kid.

I will admit that Grimm is a better PBP guy than Dave Lee - but that's damning with faint praise in my book.

Please, dude. Be a little more jealous. I'm sure you're just amazing!!! "20 years in radio"... and you post on a message board. Awesome.

Please, dude. Be a little more jealous. I'm sure you're just amazing!!! "20 years in radio"... and you post on a message board. Awesome.

He's right. IT is easirer to prep for a college/pro broadcast than high school. I also havc e plenty of experience in radio and doing prep for high school games up to the state tourney is not easy. State tourneys are easier because the MSHSL actually requires teams to submit information to help during the broadcasts(mainly TV but radio gets side benefits)

No sh%$ he's right it's harder to do HS games. That's obvious.

I just didn't like his take on Grimm and I read it very snobby. I was probably too harsh. I'm basically fed up with all these critics, the guy made a couple mistakes, everyone makes a couple minor errors at their work from time to time.

Top Bottom