Perspective

BBShopGo4

Sec. 213, Row 29
Reaction score
I felt the same way watching both Gopher games today. Flashes of good things, but the Gophers are just not there yet.

The bottom line for me is that we saw more of the same today. The big problem is the O-Line. We already knew that they need to mature and get better. Hopefully there is help coming for next year with Carufel and Wills, along with the improvement of the young guys.

There also certainly was some interesting play calling, but then again, I'm not surprised when they tried to do something new in just a few weeks. I think the coaching staff got too stuck on the power running game and didn't do a good enough job of confusing the D. I certainly hope to see improvement for next year. That will be a big test for Brewster.

Now, on to a good sign for the future: We saw the continued emergence of new playmakers today. Stoudermier, Green, Pittman and even McKnight showed that the offense has more weapons than just Weber to Decker.

Good post. We definitely need more playmakers but if there was ever a team that was crying out for someone to step up and grab the RB position, it is this one. Did you notice your list of emerging playmakers were all wideouts and none were at the RB spot? I think our starting tailback for next year will be significantly better than what we had this year, but I am not sure if it will be Lipscomb, Bennett, Whaley or even an improved Saloman or Eskridge.

I will be very surprised if we don't run the football a lot better next year...

I was really looking forward to today but right now I'm just a little annoyed. The excitement will come back as recruiting picks up and we win in bball again. The future is clearly bright for both programs but right now I'm asking myself how long will it be until both teams can be victorius in challenges like they faced today? Is it next year? 2010? 2011? The basketball team is closer than the football team but I just want to win so that my excitement feels more fulfilling.

excatalamundo

We are not there yet and will be next year.

Playmakers

Good post. We definitely need more playmakers but if there was ever a team that was crying out for someone to step up and grab the RB position, it is this one. Did you notice your list of emerging playmakers were all wideouts and none were at the RB spot? I think our starting tailback for next year will be significantly better than what we had this year, but I am not sure if it will be Lipscomb, Bennett, Whaley or even an improved Saloman or Eskridge.

I will be very surprised if we don't run the football a lot better next year...

I really don't know who will emerge at RB next year. I like the depth at that position. Bennett has shown he has talent, it will depend how he comes back from the injury. Eskridge needs to mature and get stronger, but his best skill isn't power running up the middle. If the line gets him a hole, he can shoot through and make some guys miss. We haven't seen enough of Salamon yet to know, but he runs tough. Lipscomb certainly has the size, but he will be making the transition from HS and learning a new offense. He might take a year to learn...

With some of the playmakers we have at WR, I'd love to see them continue with some less conventional runs, like the WR option they used with Decker to keep the D guessing and give the playmakers a chance to make plays.

No matter who it is, the O-line has to be better and open some holes. As I said, I think the addition of Carufel and Wills will help, as will the S&C program and giving Davis more time to work with these guys.

A good running game starts with the OL.

Remember Setterstrom and Eslinger?

OL must perform better and the coaching needs to be better in terms of calling plays. KU knew we were going to run and had the whole team in the box.

Weber needs to adjust at that point and make an adjustment, and get the ball out fast.

Top Bottom