David Cobb
Jerry Kill
PJ Fleck
Mark Coyle
Tyler Johnson
Bryan Cupito
AWJr
Darrell Thompson
I could be wrong but pretty sure a few names on your list never actually played for the Gophers so not sure they would qualify for Favorite Gopher Football Player :)

So many good ones here. A name that hasn't been mentioned yet that ranks high for me is Mo Ibrahim. I've know the kid had "it" from pretty early in his time here. Uncanny ability to find holes, make people miss, stay on his feet, etc. So many memorable performances, but the bowl game vs. GT, bowl game vs. Auburn, and opener vs. OSU last year just really showed how special he is. Gonna miss him a ton!

1. Tony Hunter a flash in the pan rb, who was one of the first I saw live.
2. MB Jr and Kent Kitzman when I first followed stats
3. Mike Hohensee and Jay Carroll and the Ohio State game. I know Hohensee He is a very good guy. PS. Bobby Bell is not in my opinion.
4. Foggie and Thompson. The Michigan upset I listened to on WCCO during honor band.
5. Chris Darkins and the Purdue game.
6. MBIII Maroney and Tapeh
7. Damien Wilson and Cobb
8. Winfield, Johnson, Bateman

Favorite game ever. The upset of Michigan in I believe 1976. I was 6 years old and we got there a quarter late. 2021 Wisconsin jump around game.

My top two are tied. I was at the U when Maroney and MB3 seemed to each run for over 100 yards every week! I remember Greg Eslinger being a big reason those two had such big holes to run through.

Just thought I'd toss in another memorable player that came to mind... It's always great to see a walk-on earn their way onto the field and eventually become a leader on the defense. I bet Blake Cashman immediately comes to mind, but that's not who I'm thinking of.

John Pawielski was a kid from Wisconsin who didn't have a lot of offers, and came to walk-on at Minnesota in the early 2000's. Turned himself into a very hard-nosed safety that made a habit of making big-time tackles. He definitely loved to hit.

Attachments

• Pawielski.jpg
    Pawielski.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 0

What nickname did Glen call Rhys Lloyd? Brain fog on this one...

Offense: Kent Kitzman - living embodiment of “Rocky” approach to winning a football game. ( beating the hell out of opponent with your face. In Kent’s case, carry after carry after carry.

Defense: Carl Eller- he was before my time but i used to see him all the time. Standing in line for concessions at a certain Nebraska game at halftime i noticed him standing behind me. My friend asked if we had a chance to win. And I said, not even if Carl here suited up for the second half! Carl laughed and told me that was kind and he remembered my name.

Special teams- only one choice here. Shortell - holder of the year!

Too many to list, but, Ricky Foggie stands out to me as one of the most exciting players the Gophers ever had on offense. I was in Camp Randall in 1986 or 1987, can't remember exactly watching Foggie slice and dice the Badgers. I left that stadium very proud.....

Starting following the Gophers in the mid 80's so I have to break it down by era:
80's: Foggie & Thompson
early 90's: Darkins
late 90's: Carter
early 00's: Barber
late 00's: Decker
early 10's: Williams
late 10's: Winfield

Add Judge Dickson, son also played for the U, and it's a deal!:)

Larry Joyner and Mark Dusbabek were fun to watch. And Najarian.

Lemanzer was fun to watch. Darkins was electric.

Ron Johnson versus Ohio State in Columbus was incredible.

Spaeth and Decker. And Weber.

Logan Payne.

Celestin. Huff.

Mortell.

Random off topic selections for excellent play:

Single Series: Michael Carter vs Purdue
Single Game: Tellis Redmon vs NC State in the Micron PC bowl 42 attempts for 262 yards

Single season: Lamanzer Williams: 22 sacks

Kent Kitzmann. I remember as that game went on thinking, he's not going to carry the ball AGAIN?
and they just kept handing it to him. by the end of the game, I was laughing every time he got the ball. BTW - 57 carries for 266 yards = 4.7 yards per carry. not bad.

Karon Riley. Considering that Gopher football is not known as a defensive powerhouse, Riley was one of the Gophers who stood out as a difference maker. and he had a little flair as a pass-rusher.

To slightly derail the thread, I'll add a couple single plays - both I was really close to. The Dom Jones hit was near the "open" end of the horseshoe, where I was seated about 15 rows up. The entire stadium just went silent. You don't see the hit on the camera until the very end, as it pans up slow. However, in person you could see the hit coming from a mile away. The other big hit was the crazy catch that Decker had in the corner of the endzone where I have my seats. Still cannot believe he held onto it.

1. Tony Hunter a flash in the pan rb, who was one of the first I saw live.
2. MB Jr and Kent Kitzman when I first followed stats
3. Mike Hohensee and Jay Carroll and the Ohio State game. I know Hohensee He is a very good guy. PS. Bobby Bell is not in my opinion.
4. Foggie and Thompson. The Michigan upset I listened to on WCCO during honor band.
5. Chris Darkins and the Purdue game.
6. MBIII Maroney and Tapeh
7. Damien Wilson and Cobb
8. Winfield, Johnson, Bateman

Favorite game ever. The upset of Michigan in I believe 1976. I was 6 years old and we got there a quarter late. 2021 Wisconsin jump around game.
Close. I could look it up, but I'm pretty sure that it was 1977. IIRC they beat both Rose Bose participants that year, Michigan and UCLA.

Kent Kitzmann. I remember as that game went on thinking, he's not going to carry the ball AGAIN?
and they just kept handing it to him. by the end of the game, I was laughing every time he got the ball. BTW - 57 carries for 266 yards = 4.7 yards per carry. not bad.

Karon Riley. Considering that Gopher football is not known as a defensive powerhouse, Riley was one of the Gophers who stood out as a difference maker. and he had a little flair as a pass-rusher.
Played against Kent from youth through high school football. Always a class act. I have nothing but respect for Kent Kitzmann.

Single Game: Tellis Redmon vs NC State in the Micron PC bowl 42 attempts for 262 yards

(Edit!, blew that one) Tyrone Carter absolutely was one of my favorites! Maroney/Barber and Rhys Lloyd round out the rest for me.

This and the other posts on here just make me really appreciate our defensive back talent over the last decade.
  • Troy Stoudemire, 2008-2012. FBS record, most kickoff return yards. All Big Ten Honorable Mention, 2012
  • Michael Carter, 2009-2012. All Big Ten Honorable Mention, 2012
  • Brock Vereen, 2010-2013. First Team All Big Ten, 2012. Drafted by Chicago Bears, 2014
  • Cedric Thompson, 2012-2014. Drafted by Miami Dolphins, 2015
  • Damarius Travis, 2012-2016. All Big Ten Honorable Mention, 2016
  • Brian Boddy-Calhoun, 2013-2015. All Big Ten First Team, 2014. All Big Ten Third Team, 2015
  • Eric Murray, 2012-2015. All Big Ten Second Team, 2014. All Big Ten Third Team, 2015. Drafted by Kansas City Chiefs, 2016
  • Jalen Myrick, 2013-2016. All Big Ten Honorable Mention 2015. All Big Ten Honorable Mention 2016. Drafted by Jacksonville Jaguars, 2017
  • Jacob Huff, 2015-2018. All Big Ten Honorable Mention, 2018
  • Antoine Winfield Jr., 2016-2019. All Big Ten First Team, 2019. All American, 2019. Drafted by Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 2020
  • Chris Williamson, 2018-2019. Drafted by New York Giants, 2020
  • Benjamin St-Juste, 2019-2020. Drafted by Washington Commanders, 2021
Even players who weren't drafted/received postseason honors like Derrick Wells (2012-2014) and Coney Durr (2016-2021) contributed a lot. Wells had four interceptions and 86 solo tackles. Durr also had four picks and 109 solo tackles, including two sacks.

Top Bottom