People, we just lost by 1 point the the #3 RANKED TEAM IN BASKETBALL!

goldygo4

Reaction score
Yes I realize it's disappointing and a heart-breaker, but I think this shows how far the program has come in the last 3 years. For all of you who think we're at the same point as 3 years ago I'll ask you this, back then would you have thought the Gophers would have taken the #3(and top team in the b10) to the final shot before we knew the outcome? The program is fine and this is not the end of the world, I for one am excited to see what Sampson,Joseph,Hoff,and (maybe) Nolen can do next year as Sampson is starting to look like an all b10 player. The future is bright!

yeah, yeah....we know. tough to be too positive though knowing we probably should have won tonight if not for a spaztastic miss at a gimme layup by iverson.

Yah, but in the situation we are in and the way we lost, just heartbreaking.

Yes I realize it's disappointing and a heart-breaker, but I think this shows how far the program has come in the last 3 years. For all of you who think we're at the same point as 3 years ago I'll ask you this, back then would you have thought the Gophers would have taken the #3(and top team in the b10) to the final shot before we knew the outcome? The program is fine and this is not the end of the world, I for one am excited to see what Sampson,Joseph,Hoff,and (maybe) Nolen can do next year as Sampson is starting to look like an all b10 player. The future is bright!

I don't think the problem folks are having is that the program in the in the toilet (because it isn't). The problem is that we're well into the counting with both hands when it comes to losses that resulted from failing to get it done in the final minutes. In cases such as those, you can understand why people are going to be sour. Because to be perfectly honest, it's getting more than tiresome. At this point, it's downright disgusting.

This was a good loss tonight! This is a loss you can build a team around. This is a positive loss and we must look at the lessons and make ourselves better. Next year, I see us winning 25. Afterall, we should have 25 wins this year. Some losses are good and this was one of them.

The thing that I also like is that after the Northwestern loss the team could have done two things 1.work their a$$es off and try to win out to get into the tourney or 2.do what everyone on GH was doing and give up on the season. No one can say that they didn't make an effort and give it their all tonight and if Devoe makes that shot we win(not criticizing him on the miss, it's tough to criticize a kid workin his a$$ off while the rest of us are sittin on the couch doing the 12 oz curls). There also haven't been any transfer rumors for the past couple of week's which is also encouraging.

The Gophers really lost that game. Hummel went down and Purdue was lost as you guys went on a huge run and had full control. You have to credit Purdue for regrouping and pulling it out. Good game and fun to watch, but a tough loss for the Gophs and a very bittersweet win for Purdue.

A loss is a loss. Also a home loss is never good and Purdue is not 3rd best with Hummel out. A loss is a loss. No moral victory.

This was a good loss tonight! This is a loss you can build a team around. This is a positive loss and we must look at the lessons and make ourselves better. Next year, I see us winning 25. Afterall, we should have 25 wins this year. Some losses are good and this was one of them.

Insanity.

It would've been a 20 point loss if Hummel was healthy.

A loss is a loss. Also a home loss is never good and Purdue is not 3rd best with Hummel out. A loss is a loss. No moral victory.

Agree with all of that.

Gophers have had two 1 pt L at home to Purdue and Mich St (games that COULD have been W) and two L in OT on the road to IU and NWU.

Those 4 L are killer to NCAA at-large bid.

What is the difference between losing by 1 and losing by 30. There is no difference whatsoever. Are you suggesting the tournament committee looks at quality losses? Because we threw about 10 games in the toilet this year that we should have won- Miami, Texas AM, MSU at home, NW on the road, Indiana on the road and Purdue at home come to mind.

Umm I never suggested anything about them getting in this year? I just said you couldn't say they didn't work their tails off these past couple weeks to get back in discussion to be a bubble team. Otherwise everything else I've said was mostly about being excited for next year.

What is the difference between losing by 1 and losing by 30. There is no difference whatsoever. Are you suggesting the tournament committee looks at quality losses? Because we threw about 10 games in the toilet this year that we should have won- Miami, Texas AM, MSU at home, NW on the road, Indiana on the road and Purdue at home come to mind.

We proved tonight that we can play with any team in the NCAA! We lost by 1 to the #3 in the nation. We can beat anyone. This was a good loss, a loss a team can rise up from and become a dominant force.

We proved tonight that we can play with any team in the NCAA! We lost by 1 to the #3 in the nation. We can beat anyone. This was a good loss, a loss a team can rise up from and become a dominant force.
I'm glad that you're delusional, but that wasn't the #3 team in the country for the final 30 minutes.

rcpratt-I don't think Schrute is being serious...If you look at all his posts tonight its all over the top/sarcastic enthusiasm for the gophers.

All i can say to this post and title is, LOL!

^^ This is the right attitude. OTM.

You can't say the team the Gophers played most of the time was the #3 team, because 3/4 of the game was against a Purdue team that was minus Hummel, and they clearly aren't as good with him on the bench for so long. This is not a good loss, it's a horrible loss if you had any hope of making the NCAA tourney as an at-large team, because you had a major break in your favor and still lost. The Gophers need to get a go-to guy on offense they can run the offense though - if you don't have one now, then you have to recruit one. It's difficult to watch a team that you want to win that has so much difficulty getting good shots late in games.

I understand this thread...but everyone is just getting extremely frustrated with not being able to win these kind of games...losing to 2 top ten teams, at home, when we were winning, and missing the last shot to win sucks a lot...

Hello?

I'm glad that you're delusional, but that wasn't the #3 team in the country for the final 30 minutes.
ALL teams have ups and downs. Purdue will have to prove that they are a team w/o Hummel. We've lost 3 players this year including our point guard and there's no asterisk awarded. If a team cannot survive the loss of a major player - an inevitability - they don't deserve their ranking.
No offense, of course and I wish H. well.

ALL teams have ups and downs. Purdue will have to prove that they are a team w/o Hummel. We've lost 3 players this year including our point guard and there's no asterisk awarded. If a team cannot survive the loss of a major player - an inevitability - they don't deserve their ranking.
No offense, of course and I wish H. well.
Sure, every team has something to fight through. We lost Jackson for the first ~15 games of the season. OSU lost Turner for 4 or 5 games. MSU lost Lucas for a game. You guys had three different situations. But if Rob truly is out for the year, this is easily the most important injury in the entire country this year. I'm not going to look anything up, but I seriously doubt that a team has ever won the tournament when their best player (make no mistake, he is what holds this team together) suffers a season-ending injury three weeks before the tournament starts. Purdue is a team without Hummel, they proved that tonight. But are they a Final Four team without him? Not a chance in hell.

I am sure Joel matury is very happy with this moral victory......go goldy go..........

So a 1 point win would be a bad win? We lost. Nothing "good" about it.

It could be, it depends. I think this loss tonight was better than Purdues 1 point win. They leave here being scared, we leave here thinking, we almost beat the 3rd best team in the nation, we can surely beat Illinois, Iowa, Michigan.

rcpratt-I don't think Schrute is being serious...If you look at all his posts tonight its all over the top/sarcastic enthusiasm for the gophers.

I'm just trying to bring some positivity to this board and I get accused of such things.

It is a fact that in 1980 the Team USA hockey teams loss to Russia just before the olympics was a great loss. Because they lost that game, we won the Gold medal. We need to use this loss as our fuel that takes us into the big dance! In most championship teams we see losses that propelled the team to greatness. We almost beat the #3 team, we should be proud!

Top Bottom