People need to relax

DiehardGopher

Reaction score
before this season started, I think everyone who is at least partially grounded in reality would agree that with the tougher schedule (Cal, @PSU, @OSU, @Iowa) a 6-6 finish would not be heartbreaking. Now, we have 1 week left of the regular CFB season, and we have the chance to finish 7-5. Me being the homer I am predicted a 9-3 finish but that doesn't matter. What does is that we have met most reasonable people's expectations, so stop calling for the heads of players/members of the coaching staff.

I am perfectly relaxed, Diehard gopher. :cool:

I just don't believe in this staff at all, and I'm not going to start writing checks to the U again until they make a change. I'll keep my tickets and keep cheering, but that's it.

before this season started, I think everyone who is at least partially grounded in reality would agree that with the tougher schedule (Cal, @PSU, @OSU, @Iowa) a 6-6 finish would not be heartbreaking. Now, we have 1 week left of the regular CFB season, and we have the chance to finish 7-5. Me being the homer I am predicted a 9-3 finish but that doesn't matter. What does is that we have met most reasonable people's expectations, so stop calling for the heads of players/members of the coaching staff.

agreed diehard, the crazy negativity on this board is ridiculous---oh yeah, wait....after A WIN

people are calling for brew's head after a W...come on...a win is a win

if there is one thing I do know about this gopher team is that they are inconsistent--I honestly wouldn't be too surprised if they played a really competitive game against iowa (I also wouldn't be surprised if they got blown out)

lets give brew a chance, remember the great offense we showed against Mich St? Its there. It can be done.

settle down

Pre-season, 6-6 looked reasonable

Or so I said. What has soured people is the way the offense has sputtered and died in at least four games: Penn State, Ohio State, Illinois and, amazingly, SD State. The defense did pretty well most of the way in these games but the offense is now 112th of 120 D1A teams - and last in most categories in the Big Ten. Adam Weber is 83rd in passing efficiency while Gray sits on the bench. Folks are frustrated with coaches and players re the offense. With a better offensive performance, the Gophers could be 8-3 or even 9-2 now. So the 6-6 doesn't look so good at this point as fans, me included, see that the Gophers could have done better.

Cal isn't even ranked now, are they? I don't think so. They are certainly more difficult than Bowling Green but they are hardly a special team.

PSU, OSU, and Iowa is a tough portion of the conference schedule, but most seasons will have us playing at least one or two of the tougher teams in the Big Ten. That alone isn't an excuse. It would be nice to at least compete with those teams and not get completely blown out.......you know, show some progress.

I think this was a tougher schedule than normal but far from impossible. When they can't win against Illinois with a backup QB at home, I think the schedule excuse is out the window. At least win the games you are supposed to win.

At least win the games you are supposed to win.

You mean like Ohio State against Purdue?

Everyone slips up against someone they should beat except for a handful of teams every season. Let's not act like every other team in the country doesn't lose games they should win.

I would imagine Northwestern and Michigan State are thinking they should have beat the Gophers at this point and kicking themselves about losing those games just as you think we should've beaten Illinois.

Everyone slips up against someone they should beat except for a handful of teams every season. If you want to be upset that the offense can't move the ball, I would blame the offensive line having no talent, but if you want to blame Weber that's fine. But let's not act like every other team in the country doesn't lose games they should win.

But those teams also have some other quality wins to make up for it. See the difference?

I said quality wins. Which ones fall into that category in your opinion?

I think both Northwestern and Michigan State would classify as "quality" wins. And considering the way Air Force has performed this season, that's probably a "quality" win as well. Have they shocked the world by beating an OSU or PSU? Nah, but let's not act like they got 6 crap wins and haven't beaten anyone at all.

Northwestern on the road is a quality win.

I said quality wins. Which ones fall into that category in your opinion?
I would count wins against Michigan St, Northwestern and even Air Force as quality wins.

I do see the difference, our wins don't count.

:) You nailed it. Many only consider wins over OSU, PSU, etc to be quality. The Gophers beat three bowl-bound teams this year. Granted, none of those teams are currently in the Top-25, but our team didn't become bowl eligible just with wins over pansies.

1) Air Force: 7-4 right now. Near wins over TCU and Utah. TCU's closest game this year was, in fact, against Air Force. Not Virginia, Clemson, or BYU...but Air Force.

2) NW: 7-4 with a win at Iowa. Solid, well-coached squad whom we thoroughly outplayed on the road.

3) MSU: Least impressive of the wins, but still a 6 win team who had a very good chance to win a couple more games.

The Gophers have been admittedly DREADFUL in a few games this year. But PLEASE don't discount the wins they did get. This program is in better shape than countless D1 programs. Many, many fans would switch places with us in a heartbeat.

The problem in my mind is that people want style points. We have won VERY ugly games and lost even uglier. I'd love for us to win games without sputtering on offense and committing a billion penalties, but those wins count the same as a 55-0 shutout.

Now tell me, how many quality wins did they have in '07? Zero. How many in '08? One....maybe? How many in '09? Three.

That's called "progress", whether you like the way it looks or not. I'm not saying it's awesome progress or means that Brewster is the answer, but for people saying they've seen no progress from this team from 07 to 08, and then 08 to 09 just don't wanna see it. This team has not "regressed" like people keep wanting to say. They have gotten better each year Brewster has been here. Again, he may not have things firing on all cylinders, obviously, but this team is not the complete wreck some seems to want to act like it is. We're an average team, which is pretty much what most think of the program anyway. Now, we need to take that next step next year. And then another step the following year.

At least win the games you are supposed to win.

So we are off by one game. Outside of Illinois the season has pretty much gone as expected. This team has lost to all teams ahead of them and beaten all below, except Illinois. Some will say we should have beaten Wisconsin, but maybe we should have lost to MSU or NW.

Hindsight is wonderful isn't it?

I think I now need to preface every post with this: Brewster DESERVES a 4th year ... it's how they've played that is the issue ... it's a weak Big Ten, and his team has not gotten better in any area from Week 1 vs. Syr. to now ... a few individuals have played better than last year (Triplett, Campbell, Stoudermire), but the team as a whole has taken a massive step backward since the Syr. game ... they were outgained 302 to 11 total yds in the Wis. game for the 1st 27-minutes of the 2nd half ... never were in the PSU & OSU games ... lose to a bad Ill. team ... and the debacle vs. SDSU ... about to lead the Big Ten in penalties for a 2nd straight year ... defense allowing the opponents in Big Ten play to convert 3rd downs at a 54.6% percent clip ... Pound the Rock, yet are last in the Big Ten in running, and approx. 100th in the country.

Good post Doogie, but how do any of the teams that lost to MN justify keeping their coaches?

Everyone slips up against someone they should beat except for a handful of teams every season. Let's not act like every other team in the country doesn't lose games they should win.

I would imagine Northwestern and Michigan State are thinking they should have beat the Gophers at this point and kicking themselves about losing those games just as you think we should've beaten Illinois.

And the difference there is that OSU wins the vast majority of games they are supposed to win, where I wouldn't say that this program is even to that level yet. OSU has rebounded pretty well since that, don't you think? If we could rebound like that I'd be fine with a clunker every once in a while.

And the difference there is that OSU wins the vast majority of games they are supposed to win, where I wouldn't say that this program is even to that level yet. OSU has rebounded pretty well since that, don't you think? If we could rebound like that I'd be fine with a clunker every once in a while.

We aren't OSU.... and apparently you are surprised by this. We did rebound from our loss to Illinois. If you didn't notice... we WON on Saturday.

I am perfectly relaxed, Diehard gopher. :cool:

I just don't believe in this staff at all, and I'm not going to start writing checks to the U again until they make a change. I'll keep my tickets and keep cheering, but that's it.

you are really important! Somebody call Maturi and Bruininks and tell them the money train from Khaliq might be stopping! We can't have this! We are talking about the loss of millions of dollars!

I think I now need to preface every post with this: Brewster DESERVES a 4th year ... it's how they've played that is the issue ... it's a weak Big Ten, and his team has not gotten better in any area from Week 1 vs. Syr. to now ... a few individuals have played better than last year (Triplett, Campbell, Stoudermire), but the team as a whole has taken a massive step backward since the Syr. game ... they were outgained 302 to 11 total yds in the Wis. game for the 1st 27-minutes of the 2nd half ... never were in the PSU & OSU games ... lose to a bad Ill. team ... and the debacle vs. SDSU ... about to lead the Big Ten in penalties for a 2nd straight year ... defense allowing the opponents in Big Ten play to convert 3rd downs at a 54.6% percent clip ... Pound the Rock, yet are last in the Big Ten in running, and approx. 100th in the country.

A massive step backward since the opening game? What team have you been watching? This team has been good one week and bad the next. You make it sound like they were dominant early and slowly have declined. And by the way, the OSU game was 7-0 at half. That's not in the game? How did an average team who then took a major step back beat your Spartans coached by Dantonio who's head and shoulders better than Brew? Maybe things aren't as black and white as you'd like them to be.
This by the way is just an embarrassing, REALLY trying to hard to look for a negative stat
"they were outgained 302 to 11 total yds in the Wis. game for the 1st 27-minutes of the 2nd half"
You are a total joke. Pathetic.

you are really important! Somebody call Maturi and Bruininks and tell them the money train from Khaliq might be stopping! We can't have this! We are talking about the loss of millions of dollars!
How much do you donate to the program? I am a little taken aback that you would have the temerity to bash someone who actually contributes to the program in a material way. But hey, you are needlessly rude to people on the internet. So you're doing your part, right?

A massive step backward since the opening game? What team have you been watching? This team has been good one week and bad the next. You make it sound like they were dominant early and slowly have declined. And by the way, the OSU game was 7-0 at half. That's not in the game? How did an average team who then took a major step back beat your Spartans coached by Dantonio who's head and shoulders better than Brew? Maybe things aren't as black and white as you'd like them to be.
This by the way is just an embarrassing, REALLY trying to hard to look for a negative stat
"they were outgained 302 to 11 total yds in the Wis. game for the 1st 27-minutes of the 2nd half"
You are a total joke. Pathetic.

Section2 (or is this a certain coach/team associate?) -- Did you ever feel like they had a legit chance to beat OSU, in a year in which they were beatable? 7-0 felt like 17-0 ... I said following the MSU game that overcoming 17-penalties was amazing ... but to then lay eggs in 2 consecutive weeks against talent-wise, way worse teams, is alarming ... where they not outgained 302 to 11? Did Wis. not run the same John Clay run play after play? It was a physical destruction, in yet another game that was very, very winnable ... the Big Ten is down big-time right now ... am I asking too much when I suggest that winning the occasional trophy game should be expected?

... the Big Ten is down big-time right now ... am I asking too much when I suggest that winning the occasional trophy game should be expected?

Just because ESPN says 'the Big Ten is down' doesn't mean Iowa or Wisconsin are. If anything, those two teams are playing better than there averages. We didn't play Michigan this season. If you want to count the bell as a trophy, then maybe you could argue PSU is 'down' from last year, but they could still go to a BCS game this season. Hell, any of the 3 teams we played in trophy games could (all are in the BCS top 16).
I agree that we should expect a win in one of these games once, but you can't really fault the Gophs too much for losing to 3 BCS teams in trophy games, no matter how 'down' the Big Ten is this year.
Also, you couldn't really tell from this board, but there's still one trophy left to play for.

Iowa is not down this season. They lost their best lineman for the first halfof the season, most of their running backs, their starting quarter-back and several starters on defense and yet they could-should be 11-0 easily without these player injuries. Wisconsin is also not down.

If anyone would like to look at both of these teams they will notice almost all the starters on both teams will be back next year so I would expect both to be ranked top 10-15 going into next season. The Big Ten will probably be the #2 conference in the nation next season with OSU, MSU and PSU having most of their players back also.

On a side note, the Gophers home schedule next season could be the toughest in the country with USC, OSU, PSU and Iowa visiting. All 4 of these teams should be ranked in the top 10 next season. Then the Gophers get to go to MSU and Wisconsin and both of these teams could/should be highly ranked also. This is reality not an excuse for next season.

Top Bottom