Penn State Said to Be Planning Paterno’s Exit Amid Scandal

Why is everyone blaming Paterno and NOT the GA who knew about it, didn't tell the police, and his father who told him to tell Paterno?

^same reason people blame the coach and not the guy who fumbled the ball. For better or worse that's the job.

So because he is the head coach he is held to higher moral standards than everyone else? Ridiculous.

^wow. That video is going to come across as incredibly tone deaf...

Why is everyone blaming Paterno and NOT the GA who knew about it, didn't tell the police, and his father who told him to tell Paterno?

So because he is the head coach he is held to higher moral standards than everyone else? Ridiculous.

1) No, because he knew, and knew nothing was done, and he didn't follow up;
2) Likely lobbied the AD to let the guy retire with dignity ("Yes, monsignor...");
3) And let the guy have an office next to his office after all this went down;
4) Likely kept McQueary on staff and gave him a job to buy his silence, and worst of all;
5) Did all this so that he could get the all-time wins record.

Everything points to this. Everything. He let his ego get in the way of doing the right thing.

Hubris.

Can him now.

It is sad and bizarre. So many people feel bad for Joe and put that ahead of the kids that were abused.

The next guy at PSU has a big task. I'd put a squeaky clean image above coaching accolades. I'd bring a blank check and 7 years to the guy coaching in Colorado Springs and start there. No search firm.

Same reasons as explained by highwayman, as well as the fight or flight response. 99% of people would've turned tail and run like he did, 1% would've kicked the guy's ass and taken the kid to the local PD or hospital. Being that he was a young (grad assistant), likely not a father, and that Coach Pedobear likely played a role as a father figure to him, there was too much playing against him. He did call his dad, and pops told him to tell Joe Pa and go home. He was likely manipulated into keeping his mouth shut, either with some sort of gift or by threat, and there you go.

That being said, I hope the guy has lost a ton of sleep over this for the past 10 years. Morally skewed.

watching that video of him smiling and getting a hero's applause is disturbing. this is not a time for that.

PSU really is their own little bubble. They just don't get it. Blindly loyal.

Chanting "Beat Nebraska" and "Joe-oe-oe-oe-oe-oe" to Seven Nation Army outside his house blows my mind.

Seriously, there must be something in the water in State College. Does no one realize how bad these videos look? If for no other reason than making it seem like everyone at PSU thinks this is just about Joe Paterno and not about kids getting raped?

There's one on the sporting news where a smilin' Joe comes out and tells the students how much they mean to him. Then there is a barely coherent sentence that refers to the victims, followed by, "at any rate..." and another reference to how great Penn Staters are. If there is anyone actually in charge at PSU they need to can Paterno NOW just to turn the news cycle.

Unbelievable...

They can't be stupid enough to send him out there Saturday with every news source from Harrisburg, PA to Al-Jazeera flooding the sidelines to cover the game and how Joe Paterno is too big to take a fall in this situation. Firing him would be a mercy gesture just so he won't have to face a press conference after the game and take questions as the football coach at Penn State.

If Penn State and Joe Paterno and family are so stupid, they have to own the circus Saturday and he needs to sit at the podium after the game. He is the man in charge and the softball questions for an 84 year old coach should be put aside.

They can't be stupid enough to send him out there Saturday with every news source from Harrisburg, PA to Al-Jazeera flooding the sidelines to cover the game and how Joe Paterno is too big to take a fall in this situation. Firing him would be a mercy gesture just so he won't have to face a press conference after the game and take questions as the football coach at Penn State.

If Penn State and Joe Paterno and family are so stupid, they have to own the circus Saturday and he needs to sit at the podium after the game. He is the man in charge and the softball questions for an 84 year old coach should be put aside.

Joe Paterno + Microphone = personal injury lawyer's wetdream

JoePa is gone by this time tomorrow. That youtube video is just the tip of the PR disaster iceberg if Paterno has a real press conference with reporters asking coherent questions, and not just a bunch of drunk frat boys chanting

1) No, because he knew, and knew nothing was done, and he didn't follow up;
2) Likely lobbied the AD to let the guy retire with dignity ("Yes, monsignor...");
3) And let the guy have an office next to his office after all this went down;
4) Likely kept McQueary on staff and gave him a job to buy his silence, and worst of all;
5) Did all this so that he could get the all-time wins record.

Everything points to this. Everything. He let his ego get in the way of doing the right thing.

Hubris.

Can him now.

What he said.

And after seeing that video I am stunned. Don't even know what to say other than that its very, very disturbing where some peoples' priorities lie.

Normally firing the coach would quiet things down but consider this, if you fire Paterno, who's the interim coach?, Paterno's son! or the DC Bradley, Sandusky's protégé. I don't see a way to finesse this virtually all of the choices are bad.

Same reasons as explained by highwayman, as well as the fight or flight response. 99% of people would've turned tail and run like he did, 1% would've kicked the guy's ass and taken the kid to the local PD or hospital. Being that he was a young (grad assistant), likely not a father, and that Coach Pedobear likely played a role as a father figure to him, there was too much playing against him. He did call his dad, and pops told him to tell Joe Pa and go home. He was likely manipulated into keeping his mouth shut, either with some sort of gift or by threat, and there you go.

That being said, I hope the guy has lost a ton of sleep over this for the past 10 years. Morally skewed.

Joe Pa has done so much for the university. I thought I saw that he and his wife had donated over $1,000,000 to the school for the library or something like that. Could it have been a way to mentally wash his hands?

This whole 'Paterno is a victim too' act is gonna go over like a lead balloon back in the real world where people remember there were, you know, ACTUAL victims, that got RAPED, when they were 10 YEARS OLD.

Seriously, there must be something in the water in State College.
Unbelievable...

There is. When I moved to State College I quickly learned that there is a cult of personality surrounding Paterno. On more than one occasion, I saw traffic backed up due to gawker slowdowns when he was spotted strolling down College Ave.

The whole Mike McQueary thing is certainly weird. About the time of his witnessing Sandusky in the shower w/ a boy (~2002) he was working a second job at Circuit City, presumably to make ends meet with his meager GA income. After 2002 he got a regular spot on the football staff. Hopefully his rise up the staff ladder had nothing to do with him keeping quiet about what he witnessed. If so, it just makes this mess all the sicker.

That video is unbelievable. I bet these same people wouldn't be supporting him like this if they had children of their own. Disgraceful.

I can honestly say I have never, not ever, heard a story so hideous in any sport in my life as what I read today about what has apparently been going on at Penn State since at least 2002. One piece said that since his retirement and throughout this entire timeframe, Jerry Sandusky has maintained an office at the football complex and was there just last week to "work out." When Paterno, the AD, and the school VP found out about Sandusky's molesting and raping, they told him he couldn't bring boys to the building and that he couldn't hold his football camps at the campus anymore. Regarding the latter, he was allowed to move his camps to another state campus near Erie.

I must admit I am a little hot under the collar but I will make some bold predictions here: (1) Paterno is sacked by Thursday at the latest; (2) everyone else falls, up to and including the University president; and (3) we are talking low nine figures for the school's minimum legal exposure when all is said and done. One of the foremost lawyers in the nation in cases concerning institutional sexual abuse (see: Catholic church) lives here in town and apparently has already been contacted by more than one victim. Whoever said Joe Paterno's pathetic, disgusting, sh*t eating presser at his bedroom window was a trial lawyer's wet dream hit the nail on the head.

How long until we see/hear the "nobody died when Paterno lied" shirts/signs/chants?

As a product of a Catholic high school that harbored several famous pedophiles and physical abusers, I can tell you Joe Paterno knew for years what was happening. It is impossible that others did not know as well. He only went to his superiors because someone else saw the horror. 8 boys is just the tip of the iceberg. There will be more men coming out and telling their horror stories about "coach" Sandusky, the only ones that wont tell will be the ones who killed themselves or are too embarrassed to admit it to the world. I feel sorry for the institution and the great fans that have been mislead by a jerk like Joe Patern and his evil former coach.

This is so sad...but I don't see any way that Joe Pa isn't buried by this...the NY Times got it right...even if Joe Pa did what he was legally required to do...he failed to fulfill his moral obligation to children...how can you know about a person that is molesting children and not do EVERYTHING possible to keep it from happening again. How may children were damaged by the lack of action of these people...all for money and football...effing sick. If it were my kid that got molested after Joe Pa did nothing he'd be dead tomorrow...getting fired - Nope, getting shot, YEP!

I'm with you. How their WR coach (the GA who at the time was an eyewitness to an assault) could go on with his life knowing what he saw that the man he saw doing it was still walking the streets .... It's just unbelievable. I would have made it my life's mission to see justice brought on Sandusky. This guy just wanted to protect his career. I have no idea how he lives with himself. If my kid was abused I'd go after him too.

As a product of a Catholic high school that harbored several famous pedophiles and physical abusers, I can tell you Joe Paterno knew for years what was happening. It is impossible that others did not know as well. He only went to his superiors because someone else saw the horror. 8 boys is just the tip of the iceberg. There will be more men coming out and telling their horror stories about "coach" Sandusky, the only ones that wont tell will be the ones who killed themselves or are too embarrassed to admit it to the world. I feel sorry for the institution and the great fans that have been mislead by a jerk like Joe Patern and his evil former coach.

Yeah, we had at least one guy with alleged issues around town who were coaches, one got busted years later when society made it okay to quit looking the other way and come forward with allegations. I agree that people know who these people are, at least we did in most cases.

I do remember another instance being on a team in high school with a kid who was being abused by his pastor, and a few years later came forward and won a civil case against the church. The guy would show up to our meets and the kid was next to him the whole time and not with the team. It didn't seem that odd until years later when the story came out. Typical scenario, nice kid raised by a single mom.

Wow, these videos are alarming. Clearly Joe doesn't understand the severity of the allegations and the lives that have been destroyed through this mess. What happened to these kids is about the worse thing a person can endure and it can ruin a family for generations...that's how big these actions are and saying "Beat Nebraska" and "We Are Penn State" are shocking.

Go Gophers!!

It's funny how ego manifests itself, you have Joe Pa on one side and Terrell Owens on the other but in the end are they that different? Those videos of Joe at his house are disgusting at a time like this and really emphasize that he doesn't get it and is ill-equipped to handle the national firestorm.

Top Bottom