Penn State has four (edit: six) opting out of Outback...Purdue has 2 more starters not with team

swingman

Reaction score
  • we Dotson announced he is getting ready for draft today…likely first round pick.

• Safety Brisker also opting oit today…likely draft pick

• Brandon Smith, lb, had opted out earlier…likely draft pick

• another lb Brooks, their top tackler, had also opted out earlier…
Penn State loses a ton of talent on defense for 2022…in addition to NFL likely above, def end Arnold Ebiketie, corner Tariq Castro-Fields and end-linebacker Jesse Luketa have all accepted Senior Bowl invitations…all big punter of year Stout also in Senior Bowl…

Bell and Karlaftis had opted out...#2 wr Milton Wright not with team, starting corner not with team, starting ot with team, but unlikely to play

Last edited:

Penn State with another opt-out...six total now.

Sure hope Big Ten and Outback Bowl take notes on how different teams show respect to a bowl invitation.

Tangelo is the fifth starter on the Penn State defense to opt out of the Outback Bowl, joining defensive end Arnold Ebiketie, safety Jaquan Brisker and linebackers Ellis Brooks and Brandon Smith. On top of that, the Nittany Lions will also be without defensive tackle PJ Mustipher, who suffered a season-ending injury at Iowa in October.

Star wide receiver Jahan Dotson has also opted out of the bowl game.

Tangelo was a fifth-year senior who was out of college eligibility. He spent one season at Penn State after he transferred in from Duke last winter.

Agree. I don't care about the Big Ten bowl record. I also hope Wisconsin and Iowa go down as well. Everyone else can win though.

Unfortunately, the Fadgers will probably monkey stomp ASU. Iowa vs. Kentucky is an enigma.

The lack of care for bowl games is silly. I’m glad the Gophers care and show up every time ready to kick ass. The good vibes of a convincing bowl win (and Axe win) will carry forward for the next 8 months.

• we Dotson announced he is getting ready for draft today…likely first round pick.

• Safety Brisker also opting oit today…likely draft pick

• Brandon Smith, lb, had opted out earlier…likely draft pick

• another lb Brooks, their top tackler, had also opted out earlier…
Penn State loses a ton of talent on defense for 2022…in addition to NFL likely above, def end Arnold Ebiketie, corner Tariq Castro-Fields and end-linebacker Jesse Luketa have all accepted Senior Bowl invitations…all big punter of year Stout also in Senior Bowl…

Bell and Karlaftis had opted out...#2 wr Milton Wright not with team, starting corner not with team, starting ot with team, but unlikely to play
These so-called New Years Day bowls are not even worth watching. OSU, MSU, and Pitt had players people wanted to see have quit, I mean opted out.

Good. I hope they get pounded and the Big Ten brass look like idiots for placing them in a game they didn't deserve.
Evidently "helmet school" means turn in your helmet.

So far there have been no consequences for these schools. Penn State is especially egregious considering their past issues that really didn't seem to impact the program long-term.

I can't remember if this was during the Gopher game, but I was watching a game and the announcers were discussing this issue. Someone suggested an interesting idea - use the new NIL opportunities to create some type of financial incentive for players to play in bowl games - as in, if you play in the bowl game, you can get $$ from an NIL deal tied to the bowl game.

Maybe take some of the bowl payout money from the sponsor and divert that into an NIL incentive fee.

But, realistically, nothing will change until or unless the NFL comes out and says they want players to play in the bowl games.

If some NFL coach said "we were going to draft Fred Farkel in the 1st round, but he skipped the bowl game, so we moved him down on our board...." I guarantee that players will be much more willing to play in the bowl games.

I want the B1G to go undefeated in bowl games. Sheeesh..

Good for the B1G is good for the Gophers.
I've never understood this line of thinking. How does Purdue beating Tennessee have any impact on us, good or bad?

I've never understood this line of thinking. How does Purdue beating Tennessee have any impact on us, good or bad?
Because college football is governed by a system that is largely based on perception, opinion and style points.

When it comes to bowl season, it is not as much about the individual teams anymore as it is their conferences and the perception of that conference relative to their competition (i.e. BIG vs. SEC). This influences national rankings which influences the CFB, selection committee bowl placement and overall opinion of the "strength" of the conference.

Case in point - Cincinnatti is undefeated and ranked at #4 behind a bunch of 1 loss teams. Mathematically they are in first place. But because they are a part of the AAC and not one of the P5 schools, their record isn't as signficant. Had they lost a single game, they may not have been in the top 10 let alone in consideration for the CFP. Another team from the AAC, the Houston Cougars, were 11-2 on their season and ranked at #20 behind a bunch of 3 loss teams and one 4 loss team. Based on their record they should have probably been in a higher bowl game than the Birmingham Bowl, in which they played a 6-6 Auburn team from the SEC and won by only 4 points.

Purdue beating Tennessee helps the BIG brand, which is all these bowl games are really about.

More and better PR for the conference leads to higher rankings, easier recruiting, higher TV ratings, more money, better bowls, etc etc etc.
In a bowl season full of cancelled games and teams having to pull the plug, I don't think it matters this year so I will continue to hope for Badger and Hawkeye losses.

Because college football is governed by a system that is largely based on perception, opinion and style points.

When it comes to bowl season, it is not as much about the individual teams anymore as it is their conferences and the perception of that conference relative to their competition (i.e. BIG vs. SEC). This influences national rankings which influences the CFB, selection committee bowl placement and overall opinion of the "strength" of the conference.

Case in point - Cincinnatti is undefeated and ranked at #4 behind a bunch of 1 loss teams. Mathematically they are in first place. But because they are a part of the AAC and not one of the P5 schools, their record isn't as signficant. Had they lost a single game, they may not have been in the top 10 let alone in consideration for the CFP. Another team from the AAC, the Houston Cougars, were 11-2 on their season and ranked at #20 behind a bunch of 3 loss teams and one 4 loss team. Based on their record they should have probably been in a higher bowl game than the Birmingham Bowl, in which they played a 6-6 Auburn team from the SEC and won by only 4 points.

Purdue beating Tennessee helps the BIG brand, which is all these bowl games are really about.

Correct. Still pulling for ASU against Wisconsin and Arkansas against Penn State.

Correct. Still pulling for ASU against Wisconsin and Arkansas against Penn State.
Based on almost half of PSU's starting defense opting out and my general disdain for Wisconsin, seeing both of them lose is just fine by me. But if the BIG nets one or two wins out of it, I can accept that without recognizing the team. It is a win-win! :)

In a bowl season full of cancelled games and teams having to pull the plug, I don't think it matters this year so I will continue to hope for Badger and Hawkeye losses.
What possible difference does bowl game cancelations make to the overall point?

I pull for every BIG to get a W in their bowl game. That is, except Wisky. I really enjoyed watching Utah this year so I will go for them against OSU

At the same time, the eye test sucks.

Like look Auburn is 6-6 and Houston barely beat them. sEC 8 barely worse than AAC 2

Meanwhile Alabama should’ve lost to that same auburn team in auburns last game

I pull for every BIG to get a W in their bowl game. That is, except Wisky. I really enjoyed watching Utah this year so I will go for them against OSU
I don't think OSU wants to be there, on the other hand, talking with some Ute fans in Las Vegas, on the way to Pasadena, they are very excited to be there. Don't be surprised if OSU loses. I never thought I'd see the day that the Rose Bowl was treated as an consolation prize.

I want the B1G to go undefeated in bowl games. Sheeesh..

Good for the B1G is good for the Gophers.

That's more true I think than people realize. Kentucky and Arkansas are ranked between 20 and 25. They both play Big Ten teams. If they both lose, they have a good chance of falling out of the top 25 and we have a better chance of moving in. Wisconsin losing would help us though because they are ahead of us in voting.

Top Bottom